Search similar:

uniqs

Jerm
join:2000-04-10
Richland, WA
·Ziply Fiber

Jerm

Carrier Grade ~1Gbps solutions

At my work we have a building on our network which is about 2.5-3 miles from our main "campus". The aerial fiber run going to the building is almost 20 years old, and the cost to replace it is prohibitive (think over a quarter mil).

As a backup I have been looking into a wireless solution that could offer full gigabit ethernet speeds (or something half-reasonable).

I've found quite a few older posts discussing some options, and have looked just a little at DragonWave and Ceragon but of course what I'm finding is just a lot of marketing, no pricing, and to get realistic expectations it is always "contact us". The last thing I need is to get on a vendors "please spam me list" so I figured I would ask the experts here.

It looks like 60Ghz and FSO options are out in my mind, as they seem to max out at ~1.5miles. Another network engineer had mentioned those two solutions to our management already - not sure how much he actually checked into it. Again I need a little less than 3 miles.

So does anyone on here have an idea of what equipment might fit the "bill" and what it may cost for various speed "thresholds"? TIA!

- J
pacmanfan
Premium Member
join:2003-11-22
Mansfield, MO

pacmanfan

Premium Member

Someone else here will correct me if I'm wrong, but I think 1gbps wirelessly at that distance is next to impossible to do, and will without a doubt break the bank. $250k seems awfully high for 3 miles of fiber, considering I buy 12 strand armored direct bury 62.5 multi-mode for 66 cents a foot, or $10k for 3 miles. Admittedly, it's not aerial cable, but still. Are you a public entity? If so, the city may contribute some manpower to hang the fiber...

Jerm
Richland, WA
·Ziply Fiber

Jerm

Just FWIW money is not really a concern. I won't/can't go into the specifics but lets just say for cable alone you're about $55K off of the stuff we spec out.

Just like some people use $50 Ubiquity (like me at home and my personal projects) others use Cisco (like my work, welcome to $3000 per radio land! ...see Cisco 1522...).
mogooder
join:2002-11-26
Washougal, WA

mogooder

Jerm

Are you deployed at Hanford?

Frank

Jerm
Richland, WA

Jerm

I would consider "deployed" a bit strong ... but more or less ...
petecarlson
join:2004-11-06
Baltimore, MD

petecarlson to Jerm

to Jerm
It looks like you are in rain zone B. Please confirm. There is no way with 60GHz but 80 GHz might work. Also confirm exact distance in meters as there is quite a difference when your dealing with high frequencies.

Jerm
Richland, WA
·Ziply Fiber

1 edit

Jerm

pete -

Rain zone B should be fine. I did the actual path routes and it was a bit shorter than I had thought actually - thats what I get for taking someone else's word for the distance, they must have driven it.

LOS may be an issue due to new buildings, so I am not sure which path/link we may take. The most likely one looks like 2.3km if we can squeeze between buildings, with 3km being a backup. If we built a tower there actually is a 1.4km location also, but would be last preference.
expohl
join:2002-03-26
Turlock, CA

expohl

You might want to checkout gigabeam, I've worked on a few 1.25 gigabit links they they have installed right around 3 miles like you are requesting. Bridgewave is another option. Contact me via pm if you want someone to do some real path calcs and give you an installation quote.
Hahausuck
Premium Member
join:2003-12-14

Hahausuck

Premium Member

80ghz adapative rate from Bridgewave is a good option as Pete mentioned.

Also please check your PMs

viperm
Carpe Diem
Premium Member
join:2002-07-09
Winchester, CA

2 edits

viperm to Jerm

Premium Member

to Jerm
For the licensed Dragon wave Duo your looking at around 60-70k Not installed.

Also FSO stuff I would not do and clearly stay away from at all costs unless you want to check to make sure dont hav bugs,spiderwebs etc anywhere on the lens as this will clearly throw off the beam and cause you headache.

We have seen this happen and one of the main reasones we dont even think of offeing it anymore.

Bridgewave would be my first choice and a good option as well if the path is short and clear.
petecarlson
join:2004-11-06
Baltimore, MD

petecarlson to Jerm

to Jerm
Not sure how well this will format. I dropped the units that will not work at all at this distance. Ran at 2300 meters in Richland, WA

Product Availability, Vert. Availability, Hor.

AR60X 99.947591% *† 99.929253% *†
AR60X (1000 Mbps mode) N/A *† N/A *†

GE80 99.998242% 99.997774%

GE80X >99.999% >99.999%

AR80 >99.999% >99.999%
AR80 (1000 Mbps mode) 99.997080% 99.996337%

AR80X >99.999% >99.999%
AR80X (1000 Mbps mode) >99.999% >99.999%
F
E80U >99.999% >99.999%

FE80XU >99.999% >99.999%

So in order to do five nines at gig speeds you will need an 80 gig X unit with the bigger antennas but I would install an AR80X which would give you 99.997 at Gig speeds and would fall back to 100mb about .003% of the time. If you are willing to spend the cash and just don't want to worry about it go wit the X version but a standard AR80 would be fine.

80GHz is light licensed but Bridgewave includes licensing in the cost of the radios and will register the link for you if you ask. They may try to push you to one of their certified VARS which isn't a bad idea but the links are quite simple and do exactly what Bridgewave says they will do. You won't need much space between buildings. A meter or two, off of the top of my head, for a 2300 meter link.
bac522
join:2003-08-04
Manchester, NH

bac522 to Jerm

to Jerm
We are running Solectek's 70GHz full duplex gigabit links at about 2miles. I think you might be able to run 3 miles with this links, but I would confirm with Solectek. The work well except in the heaviest of rain in which they will lose connection anywhere from a few seconds to a few minutes...but it has to be really heavy rain like that from a major thunder storm, general everyday rain doesn't seem to cause problems.

To deal with the occasional heavy rain we backup up the links with some 100 Mbps units running RSTP between the two. This seems to handle the momentary loss we might have from heavy rain.

All said, cost about $30k to install the units. My only gripe is the units don't have very good management and no way to monitor via SNMP.
keefe007
Premium Member
join:2004-02-24
Germantown, WI

keefe007 to Jerm

Premium Member

to Jerm
If you could settle for 100 Mbps full duplex there are a lot more options.