how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

STLCompGuy

join:2003-01-11
Saint Louis, MO

Whats the deal with Charter and the Big Ten Network

I currently live in suburban St. Louis, and I am not able to get the Big Ten Network or the NFL Network with Charter. What kind of BS is that?! I am a guy from Missouri who went out of state for college....how am I supposed to get my fix of OSU and other BIG 10 school sports, etc. And how about the NFL network!?

kyleE

@charter.com
We have had B10 network in both regular and HD here in Madison, WI for a year now. As for the NFL Network, we don't need them. Unless you want lame NFL network programming and Chris Collinsworth's never-ending babbling. ESPN, FOX, CBS are all in HD and caryy 99% of the games.

STLCompGuy

Saint Louis, MO
yea they only carry the Big Ten Network in states that have Big Ten schools!!!

Premium
join:2004-07-28
West Tenness

1 edit
reply to kyleE
said by kyleE :

We have had B10 network in both regular and HD here in Madison, WI for a year now. As for the NFL Network, we don't need them. Unless you want lame NFL network programming and Chris Collinsworth's never-ending babbling. ESPN, FOX, CBS are all in HD and caryy 99% of the games.
And many people will say the same about Big 10 network. Just because YOU think a station is grabage doesn't mean squat and doesn't mean Charter shouldn't offer it. Even if I lived in a Big 10 state what's the point of that channel so I can watch Minnesota vs Iowa is women's lacrosse?

I think 75% of what's on cable is crap doesn't mean I'm going to say "They shouldn't offer those channels they're crap.".

Premium
West Tenness
reply to STLCompGuy
said by STLCompGuy:

That's the deal with everyone that offer the B10 network.

As far as NFL Network. Don't worry despite that guy's wishes Charter WILL have it. Comcast made a deal last month so it's only a matter of time before Charter does.
Expand your moderator at work

techyguy09

join:2009-03-05
Two Rivers, WI

Re: Whats the deal with Charter and the Big Ten Network

Theres alot of crappy channels on cable, satelite, and off air providers, so lets stop that right there. NFL sucks the big one, excpet for the one game, of my local team, of which I get anyway because of right to carry agreements, the NFL network can take a long walk off a short pier, and along with the big ten network, dont be sad that Charter wont carry it, be happy. As companys like Comcast, and DirecTv, just add to the taking of games that used to, AND SHOULD BE, free, from you just to make $$$$$$$, and they NFL network and Big Ten Network make $$$$$$$$$$

Premium
West Tenness
reply to techyguy09

said by techyguy09:

Theres alot of crappy channels on cable, satelite, and off air providers, so lets stop that right there. NFL sucks the big one, excpet for the one game, of my local team, of which I get anyway because of right to carry agreements, the NFL network can take a long walk off a short pier, and along with the big ten network, dont be sad that Charter wont carry it, be happy. As companys like Comcast, and DirecTv, just add to the taking of games that used to, AND SHOULD BE, free, from you just to make $$$$$$$, and they NFL network and Big Ten Network make $$$$$$$$$$
First of all Charter WILL have NFL Network. I predict by mid August. So go ahead and cry now.

As far as the "should be free" part. What is this communism or welfare? Wher is it writen that these games should free? Are the games free to go to? No. Besides I'm not sure how games on NFL Network make the cost more. Aren't already paying for cable? Sure you are. So I'm not sure how this adds to the cost. It's not like it's on PPV.

MNF is on ESPN because people like YOU have cable. Maybe you should have stuck with OTA and ESPN wouldn't have gotten so big. So in a way YOU are too blame also.

redwings1914

join:2007-11-27
Dexter, MI
reply to STLCompGuy

I honestly don't care except that whatever channels they add from now on they add in HD. Give me the friggin shopping channels in HD for all I care.

techyguy09

join:2009-03-05
Two Rivers, WI
reply to 88615298
I'm stating that since the games were first broadcast over the air, they have been free. I believe they should stay that way, and company's caving in and agreeing to carry these networks, just leads to the further addition to games on these channels, which takes away from people without cable or satellite. MNF was moved to ESPN because it is owned all by the same company, and they were probably bitter about losing the thursday night games that were broadcast on ESPN. Just keep bantering like you are, and pretty soon, games will be PPV.

pogona

join:2009-01-17
Kennebunk, ME

1 edit
reply to STLCompGuy
said by STLCompGuy:

This is not true, I live in Illinois and Charter DOES NOT offer The Big Ten Network here (where I live), hence the reason why I am still a Dish Network customer. If they did offer it, then I would switch.

STLCompGuy

Saint Louis, MO
reply to 88615298
actually if you are using ATT/Direct TV/Dishnetwork....you can be in any state and/or city in the country and get the exact same channel selection.

said by 88615298:

said by STLCompGuy:

That's the deal with everyone that offer the B10 network.

As far as NFL Network. Don't worry despite that guy's wishes Charter WILL have it. Comcast made a deal last month so it's only a matter of time before Charter does.

former tech

@charter.com
Charter did carry the NFL network but had to drop it because the NFL network was not getting enough revenue from Charter customers.YES they dropped it from Charter! NFL wanted more money from Charters customers and therefore would of made the bills go up again because of it. Charter told them they were not going to raise the price and therefore no more agreement. Blame NFL network not the cable company!!

Premium
West Tenness
said by former tech :

Charter did carry the NFL network but had to drop it because the NFL network was not getting enough revenue from Charter customers.YES they dropped it from Charter! NFL wanted more money from Charters customers and therefore would of made the bills go up again because of it. Charter told them they were not going to raise the price and therefore no more agreement. Blame NFL network not the cable company!!
Um no that's not what happened. Charter put NFL Network on the sports tier. The issue was the Charter signed a CONTRACT saying they would NOT put it on a sports tier and did it anyways. So the NFL removed NFL Network. Sorry but if you sign a contract you should abide by it. This was definitely on Charter. Nice revisionist history you have.

goillini

join:2006-04-26
Madison, WI
News reports from 2006, when NFLN was yanked from Charter indicate the problem wasn't that Charter put NFLN on the sports tier, it's that NFLN demanded a rate hike and a move to expanded basic:

»www.madison.com/archives/read.ph···0350.php

As a side note how funny is this passage from the above article:
The situation grew in importance here when the NFL released its 2006 schedule earlier this month and it included the Green Bay Packers playing the Minnesota Vikings on Dec. 21 on the NFL Network. The game would be Brett Favre's final home game if he returns in 2006...
It already feels like the Favre saga has gone on forever. To see it in print made me chuckle.

Anyway, BF, you may be thinking of Comcast -- before their recent agreement with the NFL, Comcast found some wiggle-room in their previous contract with NFLN and were able to keep NFLN (and it's slate of 8 live football games) on Comcast's sports tier. Comcast and NFLN fought a long court battle over that one (NFLN disagreed that Comcast had the right to move it to the sports tier and wanted to yank the network from Comcast, but lost.) That contract recently expired, which set the stage for Comcast to negotiate the current contract.

Hopefully for all the NFL fans out there Charter can get a deal done like Comcast's. While I'm not a fan of NFLN (their live game broadcasts suck compared to Fox, CBS ... even compared to ESPN and Tony Kornhole, who is mercifully gone as of the 2009-10 season), but it'd be cool to have the red zone channel.

Big Dawg 23

join:2002-03-27
Northfield, MN
Move to Directv or Dish Network to solve your problem. As for the NFL Network I now have it again on Directv and seldom find a need to watch it. The only time I have is for the NFL Draft, Combine and games. My simple solution was go to Directv and get Sunday Ticket. I have my fill of all the games each week. Watch for the upcoming promotion that will get you their Premier package for 4 months if you buy the Sunday Ticket. Then revert to the package you want when 4 months is up. So far I have had two 10 minute outages. Which is fewer than Charter has had in my area since I got it.

Premium
West Tenness
reply to goillini
said by goillini:

News reports from 2006, when NFLN was yanked from Charter indicate the problem wasn't that Charter put NFLN on the sports tier, it's that NFLN demanded a rate hike and a move to expanded basic:

»www.madison.com/archives/read.ph···0350.php
when NFLN was yanked from Charter indicate the problem wasn't that Charter put NFLN on the sports tier, it's that NFLN demanded a move to expanded basic:

Huh? NFL Network didn't want to be on the Sports tier and you link proves that. So why are you saying it wasn't the case?

Also NFL Network has always said it would be ok being put on a basic DIGITAL tier. And their recent contract with Comcast proves that. Also NFLN has lower their rate to 45 cents. And they're adding in the Red Zone channel. People who still wants to cmplain hey I'm paying for channel I don't watch. No one in my house watches the Disney Channel and I'm paying moree for that than anyone will pay for NFLN.

People want to bash the NFL. Now Disney owns ABC and ESPN so look at all the Disney/ABC/ESPN stations there are and how mnay do you watch? How much of your bill is paying for those stations? 15%-20% and people want to bitch about 45 cents from the NFL. $10 or more a month for stations from ONE company you may not be watch ever is ok though.

hootabius

join:2009-02-12

1 edit
said by 88615298:

Also NFL Network has always said it would be ok being put on a basic DIGITAL tier. And their recent contract with Comcast proves that.
You're kinda contradicting what you've already stated there... It's fairly well known that NFLN wanted an analog expanded basic slot, and that is the whole reason that they are not currently on Charter. If they had no problem with being in a digital tier on Charter, then they would be there right now.

Also, the contract with Comcast that you mentioned was drawn up 3 years after they were removed from Charter's lineup. Sure, it should give some negotiating muscle to Charter, but it won't happen overnight.

I aggree that there are a lot of channels that people don't watch, and your Disney analogy perfectly describes the situation. What you don't take into account though is the negotiating power of Disney, Viacom etc. If Charter/Comcast/Whoever says "well no one watches Soapnet, we don't want that", then Disney turns around and says "Well Soapnet is packaged with ESPN, so take them both or get nothing". Broadcasters use their big hitters to basically force cable/satellite companies to take the garbage, and is also the reason a-la-carte programming never came to be, because dropping a highly-watched channel like ESPN or The Disney Channel would be suicide for a Pay-TV provider. NFL Network does not have that advantage. It is a niche channel with limited appeal and content, and does not have a "big brother" channel that it can attach itself to in order to get onto channel lineups.

I have had NFL network on Comcast for a few years now. I have watched it maybe twice. I would honestly prefer cable companies to concentrate their efforts on getting Sunday Ticket the next time the contract with Directv is up than worry about the NFL Network.