spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

ronson9

join:2009-06-02

Configuring Router with Teksavvy

I haven't been able to successfully hook up a wireless router with the TN516 modem - the set-up wizard isn't able to see the modem once it's been connected to the router.

Is this an issue with my router (old school 2.4Ghz, 802.11b model)? All the connections look ok.

Also would Teksavvy support assist with this kind of issue? I know that with Bell, they would adamantly insist that any diagnoses be done with the PC hooked directly to their modem as the router was a third party item that they wouldn't support

Gokuu

join:2001-08-27

You need to make sure your TN516 is in bridge mode if you want to use a router.

Instructions are here:

»www.teksavvy.com/en/speedtouchse···=7&mID=2

Once the modem is in bridge mode, all you need to do is enter your TSI login and password in the PPPoE section of the router.

ronson9

join:2009-06-02

1 edit
reply to ronson9

Thnaks Gokuu, but for whatever reason, the Speedtouch setup wizard couldn't detect the modem whenever it was connected to the router so here's what I did:

- directly connected the modem to PC
- set-up modem in Bridged mode (got internet working)
- then re-hooked modem to router and reset router to factory settings and then set-up router by putting in Teksavvy sign-in name, etc. into the PPPoE router section

Somehow this got things working and I'm able to use the internet now.

One thing I notice now though is that I'm no longer able to get into the Speedtouch menu by using 192.168.1.254 - is this normal for a router set-up?

Abattoir

join:2008-03-27
Ottawa, ON

said by ronson9:

One thing I notice now though is that I'm no longer able to get into the Speedtouch menu by using 192.168.1.254 - is this normal for a router set-up?
Yes, that's entirely normal. The router sits on the internet-facing side of your router, while your PC sits on the private-facing side. Some routers/firmwares will allow you to specify the IP address of your modem and pass this traffic through for you, enabling access. I believe you can also do this manually in many routers.

To be honest, I've rarely had a need to do so. One the modem is in bridged mode, and the modem is properly configured, everything works transparently. On those few occasions when I do need to access the modem directly, all it takes is to switch around a couple of network cables, and reconfigure my IP address settings on my computer. For the number of times I've ever had to do that, it's just never been worth the trouble of figuring out how to pass the traffic through.