Search similar:

uniqs

mmainprize
join:2001-12-06
Houghton Lake, MI

1 edit

mmainprize

How do i stop IE6 from giving out my location

I have noticed that some sites when you go to them they seem to know my location. That is City and zip code. How do i stop the IE6 or any other program from giving out that info for free.

I don't think that should be the default.

Thanks for the any help
SUMware2
Premium Member
join:2002-05-21

1 edit

SUMware2

Premium Member

This info is derived from a 'guesstimate' based on your IP address.
ISPs tend to lease IP addies in certain block ranges to their users in specific geographic locations.

mmainprize
Houghton Lake, MI

1 edit

mmainprize

said by SUMware2:

This info is derived from a 'guesstimate' based on your IP address.
ISPs tend to lease IP addies in certain block ranges to their users in specific geographic locations.
I do not belive that is the case here. I am in a small town and my connection comes from a city over 100 miles away. So when they come back to my city it seems it had to come from my PC not the IP.

If it is coming from the IP can't i block my PC from giving that out also?

MacGyver

join:2001-10-14
Vancouver, BC

MacGyver

Can you give an example of a website that does this?
SUMware2
Premium Member
join:2002-05-21

2 edits

SUMware2 to mmainprize

Premium Member

to mmainprize
said by mmainprize:

If it is coming from the IP can't i block my PC from giving that out also?
Afraid not. That's how the internet works. You visit a site and the site data is sent to your PC at your IP address. If you are concerned you could try using an anonymous proxy like TOR that will mask your IP addy. But in any event your ISP logs your usage.

JTM1051
MVM
join:2000-07-08
Terrell, TX

JTM1051 to MacGyver

MVM

to MacGyver
hxxp://www.searchbug.com/tools/location-by-ip.aspx

geo targeting?

La Luna
Fly With The Angels My Beloved Son Chris
Premium Member
join:2001-07-12
New Port Richey, FL

La Luna to mmainprize

Premium Member

to mmainprize
said by mmainprize:

....If it is coming from the IP can't i block my PC from giving that out also?
Not if you want to see any web pages!

If you don't give the pizza guy your address, how is he supposed to deliver the pizza?

mmainprize
Houghton Lake, MI

mmainprize

said by La Luna:

said by mmainprize:

....If it is coming from the IP can't i block my PC from giving that out also?
Not if you want to see any web pages!

If you don't give the pizza guy your address, how is he supposed to deliver the pizza?
Well i know i can always get a program or service to be anonymous, but i thought some simpler methods were out there.

Like Secuirty suites, some of them block this info from being public. But so far the only ones that replied don't seem to be on the same page as i am on.

Some broswers might also have this feature and that is what i am asking i guess. Like Oper Tor. »archetwist.com/opera/operator
mmainprize

mmainprize to MacGyver

to MacGyver
said by MacGyver:

Can you give an example of a website that does this?
I don't remember the sites off hand, i thing i was looking at dating sites and a few would pop up a small ad window, saying these singles are in your city... and it had my city.

Then i have been to other sites like search sites and it seems to no or default to searching near my location whitout me telling them.

Then there are a few sites that scan your PC and tell what it can see and they report your IP, Browser and some other info not sure if my location was in there or not.

I am look for them now if i find some of these sites i will post links to them.
mmainprize

mmainprize

Like this site

»www.spoke.com/info/c5kBy ··· henaCorp

If you click on the Jobs link under the map it will put your address in the search box.

Try it and let me know what happens

NetFixer
From My Cold Dead Hands
Premium Member
join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Netgear CM500
Pace 5268AC
TRENDnet TEW-829DRU

1 edit

NetFixer

Premium Member

said by mmainprize:

Like this site

If you click on the Jobs link under the map it will put your address in the search box.

I just tried it with IE6, and all the link told me was that I was in Nashville, TN. Murfreesboro is close to Nashville, but it is not Nashville, and I also did not see any address or zip info. I suspect that at some point in time you have filled out an online form at simplyhired.com (or a related site) and you gave them your specific address information which is now stored as a cookie on your PC.

norwegian
Premium Member
join:2005-02-15
Outback

1 edit

norwegian to mmainprize

Premium Member

to mmainprize
I must be missing something, I've clicked on "Athena Jobs" under the map and no address of mine is given, nor town or country.

Then again looking at the source, google-analytics etc is blocked in my hosts' file

NetFixer
From My Cold Dead Hands
Premium Member
The Boro
Netgear CM500
Pace 5268AC
TRENDnet TEW-829DRU

NetFixer

Premium Member

said by norwegian:

I must be missing something, I've clicked on "Athena Jobs" under the map and no address of mine is given, nor town or country.
Most likely you are missing the OP's delicious job hunting frosted cookies.

norwegian
Premium Member
Outback

norwegian

Premium Member

There is a log in page if you look for jobs. You may be right.

mmainprize
Houghton Lake, MI

mmainprize to NetFixer

to NetFixer
said by NetFixer:

said by norwegian:

Most likely you are missing the OP's delicious job hunting frosted cookies.
Well i never entered it at that site but yes have bought things on the internet and have entered it into a form on sites like Buy.com.

This site as the other only show my City, State and some have the zip code.

I was hoping for a setting in IE6 or a registry hack to stop IE6 from giving out that info. But i guess it is not that simple. It must be some java scripting that is read some cookie some wharer

norwegian
Premium Member
Outback

norwegian

Premium Member

You can try deleting your browser history and opening the page again.

mmainprize
Houghton Lake, MI

mmainprize to norwegian

to norwegian
said by norwegian:

:)

There is a log in page if you look for jobs. You may be right.
I have never loged into that page.

I found it by a search for my name, and it came up with a listing for me and my company main office in some other state.

EGeezer
Premium Member
join:2002-08-04
Midwest

2 edits

EGeezer to mmainprize

Premium Member

to mmainprize
I had to enable scripting to see the results you saw, but it used the usual geolocation stuff that put me about 20 miles from where I actually live. What they're doing is taking your IP address, feeding it automatically into a geolocation service and feeding the result into the search field.

Even if you disable scripting, the site will still log your IP address. You could use TOR, but that seems kinda pointless for this particular site.

Robert Smalls Parkway - Hmmm, nice area. I've been in Beaufort, Hilton Head, Edisto many times and will probably go there a couple times more this year.

If you don't mind Sand fleas, muggy summer weather, hate Michigan winters and like mild sunny winters, good seafood, conservative politics and Low Country southern culture, you'll like Beaufort.

If they invite you for an interview, be sure to have breakfast at Blackstoines, Dinner at Panini's and a night out at Bricks and BBQ at MacPhearson's in Port Royal

mmainprize
Houghton Lake, MI

2 edits

mmainprize

Ya i read that link the other poster posted about Geotagging and i am shocked that it can comes so close in my area.

So i guess i need to start using other browsers that let me disable scripts, and a sandbox if i want to stay clen while surfing these days.

NetFixer
From My Cold Dead Hands
Premium Member
The Boro
Netgear CM500
Pace 5268AC
TRENDnet TEW-829DRU

NetFixer to mmainprize

Premium Member

to mmainprize
said by mmainprize:

This site as the other only show my City, State and some have the zip code.
That is entirely different from your original claim that the site showed your address. The City, State, and/or ZIP code can simply be a guess based on your IP address. In your case perhaps they guessed correctly, in my case they were off by about 40 miles.
Expand your moderator at work

EGeezer
Premium Member
Midwest

2 edits

EGeezer to mmainprize

Premium Member

to mmainprize

Re: How do i stop IE6 from giving out my location

A sandbox won't stop geotagging nor will geotagging put nasty stuff on your PC. Geotagging simply logs ythe originating IP, feeds to a database that (generally speaking) has ASN router location LAT/LON coordinates in it. The coordinates are for that router or the last hop the trace route can determine, which may be close to or far from your house. Different Geolocation and trace route services will yield different results.

See my post updates for dining suggestions in Beaufort - and don't forget top get some great chocolates from the Chocolate Tree, made famous in the Forrest Gump movie. It realli is goooood!

mmainprize
Houghton Lake, MI

mmainprize to NetFixer

to NetFixer
Ya, you are correct i started out saying location, but that last time i said address but meant location. It did not know my address, but in a small town like mine the location is just about the same thing.

EGeezer
Premium Member
Midwest

EGeezer

Premium Member

I dunno - Houghton Lake has enough streets that I'd prolly have a tough time finding you - but the lakeside town *does* look attractive

FunnyBones
Premium Member
join:2004-01-22
usa

FunnyBones to mmainprize

Premium Member

to mmainprize
said by mmainprize:

Ya, you are correct i started out saying location, but that last time i said address but meant location. It did not know my address, but in a small town like mine the location is just about the same thing.
You can do a few things to better hide your identity such as anonymous surfing and and a good proxy config to block all banners and blocking your referrer information etc. You can even block your browser an OS from being identified.

So do you want programs to help you with this task?

chrisretusn
Retired
Premium Member
join:2007-08-13
Philippines

chrisretusn to mmainprize

Premium Member

to mmainprize
Nothing you can do except use a proxy. Plug your IP address at this site, what does it come up with.

IP Address Locator - Enter an IP address to find its location - Lookup Country Region City etc

norwegian
Premium Member
Outback

norwegian to mmainprize

Premium Member

to mmainprize

I'm not sure how your ISP works, but here in Australia, I'm using a roaming(dynamic) account.

Some days I'm in Perth, some in Melbourne, Brisbane etc.

Maybe you are on a static address, in which your IP with your ISP never changes? Although as I do not know US and the way it works, you may have different rules to work with.

EGeezer
Premium Member
Midwest

EGeezer

Premium Member

said by norwegian:

Some days I'm in Perth, some in Melbourne, Brisbane etc.
As long as it doesn't put you in New Zealand, you're good to go..
pandora
Premium Member
join:2001-06-01
Outland

pandora to mmainprize

Premium Member

to mmainprize
said by mmainprize:

Like this site

It seems to think I'm near Savannah Georgia, and I'm in Connecticut.

mmainprize
Houghton Lake, MI

mmainprize to chrisretusn

to chrisretusn
said by chrisretusn:

Nothing you can do except use a proxy. Plug your IP address at this site, what does it come up with.

IP Address Locator - Enter an IP address to find its location - Lookup Country Region City etc
Funny, that site shows the ISP location in NJ. Not my location. That is what the other link someone else posted did also.