NOYB
St. John 3.16
Premium
join:2005-12-15
Forest Grove, OR
kudos:1

[DVR] STB Firewire (IEEE 1394) Capturing

STB Motorola QIP-7216

Using the STB Firewire driver and Cap D-VHS listed below I can successfully capture live HD channels via the Firewire (IEEE 1394) port as a file with an mpg extension and play them back with interVideo WinDVD player.

However when capturing a program being played from the DVR, both the video and audio is herky jerky skippy and TV screen sometimes freezes and/or goes blank.

Capturing SD is herky jerky skippy both live and DVR playback.

Any ideas how to get DVR playback to capture smoothly?

STB Firewire Drivers 2009-02-25 Driver & Cap D-VHS
»home.comcast.net/~exdeus/stbfirewire/

FireSTB.inf Additions for the Motorola QIP-7216:
%AVC\MOTOROLA&QIP-7216&TYP_5&ID_0.DeviceDesc%=MEITUNER.MOTO,AVC\MOTOROLA&QIP-7216&TYP_5&ID_0
%AVC\MOTOROLA&QIP-7216&TYP_9&ID_0.DeviceDesc%=MSPANEL.MOTO,AVC\MOTOROLA&QIP-7216&TYP_9&ID_0

AVC\MOTOROLA&QIP-7216&TYP_5&ID_0.DeviceDesc="Motorola AV/C Tuner Device (QIP-7216)"
AVC\MOTOROLA&QIP-7216&TYP_9&ID_0.DeviceDesc="Motorola AV/C Panel Device (QIP-7216)"

--
Be a Good Netizen - Read, Know & Complain About Overly Restrictive Tyrannical ISP ToS & AUP »comcast.net/terms/ »verizon.net/policies/
Say Thanks with a Tool Points Donation

Hecubus

@verizon.net

When I use cap DVHS I found I often have to pause (at least 30 seconds before it so I can capture the whole thing as it does fast forward through DVR recorded or stalled shows) the program, hit record on Cap DVHS, then press play on the program. This never fails to capture whatever I'm trying to capture and only the On Demand programs are immune of course.

Hope this helps.

NOYB
St. John 3.16
Premium
join:2005-12-15
Forest Grove, OR
kudos:1

In just a few short tests it seems to do better, though not perfect. The capture appears to be successful but the TV audio & video (HDMI 1080i) during capture flutters, clears up every once in awhile for a few seconds or so. Essentially unwatchable during capture.

So now that I have transport stream (*.ts) capture and can play it with interVideo WinDVD, how can I convert it to a format compatible with Windows Media Player? I have tried running it through HD TV to MPEG2, but WMP still complains about it being corrupt or missing codec.

--
Be a Good Netizen - Read, Know & Complain About Overly Restrictive Tyrannical ISP ToS & AUP »comcast.net/terms/ »verizon.net/policies/
Say Thanks with a Tool Points Donation

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium
join:2001-01-02
Forest Grove, OR
kudos:4
Reviews:
·Frontier FiOS

said by NOYB:

So now that I have transport stream (*.ts) capture and can play it with interVideo WinDVD, how can I convert it to a format compatible with Windows Media Player?
Good question for the »Audio/Video Chat Forum.

fiosjoe9

join:2009-07-02
reply to NOYB

NOYB,
Thanks for this info. I've been looking for it for weeks. However, when I try your additions for the qip-7216, vista sp1 tells me that it has found the driver but couldnt install it due to a missing file.

Did you do anything special? Are you XP or VISTA? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Joe