uniqs
daveinpoway
Premium Member
join:2006-07-03
Poway, CA

daveinpoway

Premium Member

P-660R-ELNK Firmware

I recently bought this used modem. It had ZyNOS Firmware Version V3.40 (AHC.0), 11/16/2005 on it. Based on this thread: »Zyxel P-660R-ELNK, I put in V3.40 (AGE.3), 03/24/2009 for the P-660R-D1 model. As a point of interest, I noted it was observed that if one started at the AGE.1 firmware, the Earthlink logo would change to Zyxel. I started at AGE.1, then went to .2 and finally .3; the logo remained as Earthlink. Probably not significant; just an observation.

My question is whether this is the "best" firmware for using this modem on AT&T, or is there something better. If there is an improved firmware, where can I get it from? Earthlink offers a Zyxel Firmware Upgrade (I don't know which models are included), but I can't access this without logging in, and I have no Earthlink login credentials.

By the way, another observation- with the original firmware, the modem told you not only the Zynos firmware version, but also the version of the TI chipset firmware. With this V3.40 (AGE.3) firmware, the chipset firmware version is no longer reported.
bk_856er
join:2007-06-08
Palo Alto, CA

bk_856er

I don't know which firmware is "best" but I'm currently running the V3.40 that you indicated and I'm interested in the Upgrade that you refer to. Please PM me the link and I'll use my earthlink login to check it out.

BK
daveinpoway
Premium Member
Poway, CA

daveinpoway

Premium Member

Check out the second entry (by "teeyaowarat") in this thread: »Zyxel p660R series firemware ; the ftp link provided there contains the AGE.1, .2 and .3 versions.
bk_856er
Palo Alto, CA

bk_856er

I couldn't bring up the linked ftp site, but I'll try again later and let you know if it's successful. From the address it seems to be firmware for retail zyxel D1 modems and not ELNK model-specific firmware.

BK
daveinpoway
Premium Member
Poway, CA

daveinpoway

Premium Member

If you read the thread referenced in the first sentence of my original post, the whole exercise involved flashing the Earthlink-specific model to a generic one.

The ftp site worked for me earlier.

It turns out there is some more recent firmware specific to the -ELNK model out there, but I do not have a link for it. By calling ZyXEL, it is possible to obtain the V3.40 (AHC3D0) and V3.40 (AHC4D1) firmwares as attachments to an email they will send you. Note that if you apply the the second one, the modem will now identify itself as a -D1 model, not an -ELNK one. The tech-support folks said that is normal.
bk_856er
Palo Alto, CA

bk_856er

I'll try to contact Zyxel and see if I can get a current approved firmware file from them. Stay tuned.

The interface in these screenshots looks WAY different than mine and it still reports the -ELNK model:

»forum.transmissionbt.com ··· 4&t=7785

BK
bk_856er

bk_856er

Zyxel just sent me firmware "P660R-ELNK-340AHC3D0" but suggested that I also check with Earthlink to see if it is the latest, since it comes from them originally.

BK
bk_856er

1 edit

bk_856er

I just performed the firmware upgrade twice with the file provide by Zyxel...P660R-ELNK-340AHC3D0.BIN...it seems to be the original version from 2005, even though it seemed to go through a several minute update process. Zyxel said this is absolutely the most current version that Earthlink has provided to them.

Here is the modem info after the "update":

ZyNOS F/W Version: V3.40(AHC.0) | 11/16/2005
DSL FW Version:TI AR7 05.00.03.e6
Standard:Multi-Mode

I need to track someone down at Earthlink...

BK
daveinpoway
Premium Member
Poway, CA

daveinpoway

Premium Member

Interesting that they had the AHC4D1 version when I called. I would try ZyXEL again.
bk_856er
Palo Alto, CA

bk_856er

I'll talk to Zyxel again next week. Earthlink support has been a total waste of time. I have a link to the firmware update on the Earthlink site, but it is password protected and only available to their "engineers."

The F/W filenames have me a little confused. I'm wondering if the file I received (AHC3D0) is actually more recent than what I'm using now, but the update just failed to stick. I downloaded the (AGE.3)C0 F/W file from Zyxel for the D1 retail modem and there is a 14-page release document with it that mentions an "Upgrade Tool" if the web/GUI and FTP methods fail to work correctly. I'll try and get that tool.

Finally, what is the deal with the ROM file in the zip folder with the F/W file? Does this also need to be updated? I assume not because the firmware for the -ELNK modem does not include a ROM file.

BK
daveinpoway
Premium Member
Poway, CA

daveinpoway

Premium Member

In my case, the update went smoothly, without problems, so I never needed any "Upgrade Tool".
JPedroT
Premium Member
join:2005-02-18

JPedroT to daveinpoway

Premium Member

to daveinpoway
The rom file is just the configuration settings, so no real need to update. But if you jump generations in the fw ie 3.40 to 3.50 etc then you its best to do the configuration settings also.
mrkrupa
join:2007-06-27
Washington, DC

mrkrupa to daveinpoway

to daveinpoway
I just received the "new" Zyxel P 600 series modem from earthlink. I have been having trouble with my connection and went through the customer service drill (did it before). They had me disconnect everything and pushed some buttons in India and tested my telco lines in Washington DC. I always get excited when I think about that.

The lines tested fine, they also reported they reset some things, I'm convinced that's just tech rep patter to calm the customer.

I am not convince the box is the problem but it's been two years since I got the first modem and they said by the process of elimination it had to be the modem. So I agreed not to change providers for 12 months and they said I could have the new modem for free (39 dollars overnight however).

I asked what model modem and the sales person said (after much querying off line) that it would be a 645 (not that that means anything to me. I was just curious to research it while I waited). Which brings me to the point:

What am I looking for in a "new" modem? Does state of the art get me better 3Mb downloads? Does a Dlink modem offer better performance?

By the way, the firmware says, ZyNOS Firmware Version: V3.40(AHC.4) | 12/08/2006.

The web interface is snazzy and looks like it has more features than the earlier model.

I expect my power supply if anything may have been going out. I will play around with downloading new image to see if I can "upgrade" it.

Paul K