spc
Search similar:

uniqs

mr_scume
@cogentco.com

mr_scume

Anon

Off-road diesel fuel in an on-road truck

i've been considering getting a diesel truck for power/etc but onroad diesel is very expensive. i'm a heavy equipment operator right now driving a wore-out f150 and looking for something like an f250 with a turbo diesel. spoke it over with a couple of buddies and found out that MANY of them ran a fuel line into a t-connector from the off-road tank with elec/hand pump in their bed. they say they keep on-road in the vehicle tank to pass inspections (honestly they enver had any yet) but are reallying running from the bed tank. my question is actually two, have you ever heard of this before or are they just pulliing my leg and what fines would i be looking at if i get busted? off-road is so much cheaper and this is a something to consider with the f250. thanks all.

McSummation
Mmmm, Zeebas Are Tastee.
Premium Member
join:2003-08-13
Fort Worth, TX

McSummation

Premium Member

It's doable. The fine depends on what state/province you get caught doing it.

The dye that's in off-road Diesel is fairly persistent.

I've got an in-bed tank with electrical switch-over between the in-bed and factory tanks. I wouldn't try this.

KrK
Heavy Artillery For The Little Guy
Premium Member
join:2000-01-17
Tulsa, OK
Netgear WNDR3700v2
Zoom 5341J

KrK to mr_scume

Premium Member

to mr_scume
A lot of people cheat on the road taxes by doing this... but it's not right. If you tow or haul freight a lot, diesel is a better deal then gasoline as you get a lot better mileage while towing then the same weight on a gasoline pickup. If you just want a flashy truck to drive around in and barely ever use for actual work I'd say stick with gas and save your money versus trying to cheat and use tax-exempt off-road diesel illegally.

One thing to consider, I've had farmers who use the off-road diesel (legally) say it's generally crappier fuel, but YMMV.

Mospaw
My socks don't match.

join:2001-01-08
New Braunfels, TX

1 recommendation

Mospaw to mr_scume

to mr_scume
We do not discuss illegal activities in this forum. Off-road fuel is for off-road use only.

End of story.