share rss forum feed

nasadude

join:2001-10-05
Rockville, MD
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

1 recommendation

reply to IPPlanMan

Re: Something to look forward to with Comcast...

said by IPPlanMan:

It should be done well.
up front statement: I hate the concept of metered billing.

that being said, if it's going to be done, it has to be done well. but there should also be an independent entity (govt or otherwise) that certifies the accuracy of the metering system the ISP is using - much like what is done with gas pumps, electric meters, water meters, etc.

if they want to charge by the bit, they should be made to prove they are accurately measuring the bits being used.

IPPlanMan
Holy Cable Modem Batman

join:2000-09-20
Washington, DC
kudos:1

Damn right!

imanogre

join:2005-11-29
Mcdonough, GA
reply to nasadude

As opposed to customer choice to go with another provider?

This just in "Obama names metered billing Czar"

Sarcasm: Where do I sign up for this

FactChecker
Premium
join:2008-06-03
reply to nasadude

said by nasadude:

that being said, if it's going to be done, it has to be done well. but there should also be an independent entity (govt or otherwise) that certifies the accuracy of the metering system the ISP is using - much like what is done with gas pumps, electric meters, water meters, etc.
I haven't seen any independent govt agency checking my electrical or water meter. Does that happen? Is this also applicable to cell phones minutes too?

patcat88

join:2002-04-05
Jamaica, NY

said by FactChecker:

I haven't seen any independent govt agency checking my electrical or water meter. Does that happen? Is this also applicable to cell phones minutes too?
Electrical and water meters you can get tests done on, mandated by law by your local PUC or Weights and Measures Dept.

Not sure who regulated cellphone minutes accuracy.

Yogi Berra

@teksavvy.com

1 recommendation

reply to IPPlanMan

And while they are at it, any meter needs to ignore:
a) reset packets if the provider throttles the connection (the cabeco/telco is doing this for their benefit, not mine)
b) ad insertion content (stuff I didn't ask for)
c) any cableco/telco 'test' packets/probes to customer premises (not on my dime)

sonicmerlin

join:2009-05-24
Cleveland, OH
reply to nasadude

Lol, how can metered billing "be done right" when ISPs never have to reveal or justify their internal statistics (economic data) to an independent entity or government regulators? Do you realize how much money these outfits make? Do you have any clue how little it costs them to maintain their network?

Metered billing is not done anywhere in the world where there is real competition?

It's amusing to see how easily sheep can be shepherded by these corporate wolves.

Joe12345678

join:2003-07-22
Des Plaines, IL
reply to Yogi Berra

forgot some
D) arp traffic
E) Dropped packets
F) Cable box data channel bandwidth

cdru
Go Colts
Premium,MVM
join:2003-05-14
Fort Wayne, IN
kudos:7

a, c, d, and e add a trivially insignificant amount of overhead to the total 250GB of data. Point taken though.