uniqs

elias
Premium Member
join:2000-07-24
Miami, FL

1 edit

elias

Premium Member

[iPhone] Compass (Magnetometer) Interference?

I've received this message twice today.

Has anyone had this happen yet? It happened to me this morning while driving to work. I was at a red light and the map was pointed in the opposite direction.

Just now I was showing the new rotating map feature to a coworker with an iPhone 3G and it's happening again.
stoli412
join:2003-02-12
SK3 9JR

stoli412

I've had it happen quite a few times and I'm usually not near anything that could be causing interference. Sometimes the figure 8 clears it, sometimes I have to exit to the home screen and restart the app.

I'm guessing it's some kind of bug that will hopefully be fixed in an update.

EveryName
Premium Member
join:2001-12-05
Montreal

EveryName to elias

Premium Member

to elias
Odd thing with the figure eight.

elias
Premium Member
Miami, FL

elias

Premium Member

said by EveryName:

Odd thing with the figure eight.
Yeah, I know. Didn't seem to work for me, though.
Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium Member
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ

Kearnstd to elias

Premium Member

to elias
oddly enough that figure 8 thing applies to all electronic compasses, had a car that said to do that if the compass got out of whack. find an empty parking lot and drive in figure 8 for a few laps

HiVolt
Premium Member
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON

HiVolt

Premium Member

said by Kearnstd:

oddly enough that figure 8 thing applies to all electronic compasses, had a car that said to do that if the compass got out of whack. find an empty parking lot and drive in figure 8 for a few laps
LOL, that'd be a funny thing to watch!

Count Zero
Premium Member
join:2007-01-18
Milton, FL

Count Zero to Kearnstd

Premium Member

to Kearnstd
My Range Rover just said to drive in circles in an empty parking lot, but it was a British car and never worked right to begin with.

elias
Premium Member
Miami, FL

1 recommendation

elias

Premium Member

said by Count Zero:

My Range Rover just said to drive in circles in an empty parking lot, but it was a British car and never worked right to begin with.
To paraphrase Jeremy Clarkson:

If it were a German car you wouldn't have that problem because the SATNAV would only point to Poland.
stoli412
join:2003-02-12
SK3 9JR

stoli412

said by elias:

If it were a German car you wouldn't have that problem because the SATNAV would only point to Poland.
HA! (And I'm Polish, so I'm allowed to laugh)

B52GUNR
KM 7D love and D5 Nirvana
MVM
join:2001-03-06
Suisun City, CA

1 recommendation

B52GUNR to elias

MVM

to elias
said by elias:

said by Count Zero:

That explains the first time I fired up the SATNAV in my BMW it said "Drive 500km North to Berlin. Turn right, invade Poland".

Nemokrad
join:2002-04-24
Miami, FL

Nemokrad to elias

to elias
You work on Key Biscayne?

elias
Premium Member
Miami, FL

elias

Premium Member

said by Nemokrad:

You work on Key Biscayne?
LOL, no... I actually work in Brickell!

Since I don't sit near a window, I don't get a GPS signal. Apparently the A-GPS has our SSID set to being in the middle of the Rickenbacker Causeway.

paulrivon
@ocn.ne.jp

paulrivon to elias

Anon

to elias
it looks like you were on a bridge. bridges are all metal and full of magnetic interference.

just rotate the phone around a few times and it should work.

ccc
@uiuc.edu

ccc to elias

Anon

to elias
just curious-- what the accuracy that (you perceive) you're getting? mine seems about 10 degrees off-kilter, sometimes 5-15 deg. am using true north so it should be correcting for declination. hmmm... phone reset might fix it temporarily (unless i'm just trying to convince myself that it did), then it goes back to being off a bit. anybody else? thanks