Search similar:

uniqs

clusty
join:2009-05-15
Montreal, QC

clusty

VoIP/SIP services in canada

Hey,

This is the first time when I decided to ditch the landline phone and get just a dry DSL and a cell phone.

Was wondering if you guys had any recommendations as to a VoIP provider.

I found »www.freephoneline.ca/ which in theory is quite a nice general purpose service: free VoIP number, free calls to major Canadian cities.

Unfortunately this not working properly.
I was wondering if you knew any cheap VoIP/SIP providers?

Thanks for any feedback
MaynardKrebs
We did it. We heaved Steve. Yipee.
Premium Member
join:2009-06-17

MaynardKrebs

Premium Member

www.voip.ms and www.callcentric.com both get good reviews, and seem to have decent support.

www.les.net for the more self-reliant

ohmer
join:2003-08-06
Quebec, QC

ohmer

I cannot recommend les.net.

It's a prepaid service. If your account goes to 0.00$ for a month, they drop your number and put it in the available pool (so another customer can take it). I lose a number because of that. Very unprofessional!

Even our crappy wireless companies wait for like 6 months before dropping your wireless number if you don't refil your prepaid service.

clusty
join:2009-05-15
Montreal, QC

clusty

so far it seems voip.ms is winning overall.

0.5 cents/minute for calling to 514 numbers seems unbeatable till now.

drewfar
join:2002-10-01
m4y0a2

drewfar to clusty

to clusty
vbuzzer.com

Been using them for years without issues. $50/year for a number and unlimited local calls in a number of cities.

diskace
Retired
Premium Member
join:2002-02-21

diskace

Premium Member

We do have a wholesale VOIP service:

»www.electronicbox.net/en ··· ony.html

No minimum required. High Quality voice calls, POTS quality. Discount on volume. Full quality codec G711.u
apn
join:2009-05-07
canada

apn to clusty

to clusty
+1 for voip.ms

Been using it since Feb, ported my number in Apr. Love the rates and the feature-rich service: gives me an amazing amount of control over my telephone service.

One gripe: I want the unlimited incoming for $4.95 like the US, instead of $8.95 here. The rate will change as they build CDN volume, just as the price was recently dropped in the US.
koreyb
Open the Canadian Market NOW
join:2005-01-08
Etobicoke, ON

koreyb to clusty

to clusty
Freephone works perfect.. actually better than my experience with vbuzzer.

I got the $50 SIP package so I could use it with my trixbox.

I found the software sucks!.. but if you use a ATA with it, you shouldn't have any issues.

otty
join:2008-10-24
Revelstoke, BC

otty

I use voip.ms outbound and pay $25/per year for an unlimited inbound local # with vbuzzer.

No issues for many months now.
DUALMAN
join:2005-03-06
Niagara Falls, NY

DUALMAN to koreyb

to koreyb
did you port your number over?...any idea what happens if you port your number over and they go belly up? If it is free, how do they stay in business?
koreyb
Open the Canadian Market NOW
join:2005-01-08
Etobicoke, ON

2 edits

koreyb to clusty

to clusty
freephoneline.ca is from 295.ca They have been around for ever!

They are using voip on their own network, and make their money from long distance outside their local coverage areas. They also run ads on their software phone. The 50 bucks they say you pay for sip covers the cost of the ads they are loosing.

My guess would be they use their ISP company to keep it running.

I don't see them going out of business anytime soon based on their history as an ISP.

yroc
@rogers.com

yroc to clusty

Anon

to clusty
I use freephoneline.ca as well.
jwillisbarri
join:2005-03-22
Barrie, ON

jwillisbarri to clusty

to clusty
Has anyone had experience with Communicate Freely. They have an actual handset as opposed to software on the computer.
»www.communicatefreely.net/

0.011 local / 0.02 long distance in North America

Thanks... Jim

Guspaz
Guspaz
MVM
join:2001-11-05
Montreal, QC

Guspaz

MVM

said by jwillisbarri:

Has anyone had experience with Communicate Freely. They have an actual handset as opposed to software on the computer.
»www.communicatefreely.net/

0.011 local / 0.02 long distance in North America

Thanks... Jim
Those handsets will work with any VoIP provider that supports SIP. Their prices are OK, but not great. It took me all of 60 seconds to find a typo on their website.

On the whole: they don't seem to offer anything most other similar companies don't.

Fergless
Premium Member
join:2008-04-19
Toronto, ON

1 edit

Fergless to clusty

Premium Member

to clusty
I've been on Acanac Voip for 2 years. $9.95/mth but that's payable in advance. 12 X $9.95 and you use your own ATA.
Or you can use the softphone they provide X-Lite.
minimal
join:2009-09-30

minimal

said by Fergless:

I've been on Acanac Voip for 2 years. $9.95/mth but that's payable in advance. 12 X $9.95 and you use your own ATA.
I've been with Acanac for the same amount of time. The first few months were painful with constant outages. Although since then service has been fine. They don't offer the same feature set like callcentric or voip.ms. I actually would love to switch back to callcentric.com but the constant rate change on my credit card for USD conversion got annoying. Then again, Acanac can't be beat for unlimited outbound/inbound calling anywhere within USA and Canada for only $9.95 per month.

dataiv
join:2002-02-25
Ottawa, ON

dataiv to clusty

to clusty
I use link2voip.com with Asterisk for voip .. based in Alberta. No complaints. Also have used unlimitel.ca and absolutely no complaints at all. Based in Ottawa.

businessline
@anonymouse.org

businessline

Anon

Anyone know if you can get a business voip line?
It will be call forwarded to a cell most of the time so features are not important.
heredago
join:2002-11-05
Ottawa, ON

1 edit

heredago to clusty

to clusty
said by otty:

I use voip.ms outbound and pay $25/per year for an unlimited inbound local # with vbuzzer.
No issues for many months now.
this seems like the cheapest option for light usage

I converted voip.ms and Vbuzzer BuzzMe USD rates to CAD and with quick and really approximate calculations;

I would have to make more than 20.71 hours of outgoing call per month for this solution to be more expensive than acanac.ca yearly rate (already dirt cheap)

I'm new to voip and I didn't know we could have different incoming and outgoing providers

I think I will get this next month when I move in my condo, thanks

Jaser
@teksavvy.com

Jaser to clusty

Anon

to clusty
All I can say is that once I get incoming calls working, my Nokia E63 with native SIP client will be my best friend

Unlimitel may be another option, as they actually co-locate voice boxes in Bell COs.

I have my suspicion that many VoIP providers route their calls through unlimitel, so you may save yourself several hops that are abstracted from your point-of-view.

They're a bit more expensive at 1.1 cents/min for calls within their network, but you're getting rid of points of failure.

CanerisErik
Caneris
Premium Member
join:2007-10-03
Toronto, ON

CanerisErik

Premium Member

said by Jaser :

Unlimitel may be another option, as they actually co-locate voice boxes in Bell COs.
You have no clue what you're talking about.