All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
cbrain (banned)
join:2000-05-21
Silver Spring, MD

cbrain (banned)

Anyone sucessfully switched from PPPoE to DHCP?

My FiOS was installed in 2005, before Verizon used DHCP. I understand all new customers get DHCP by default and several regions have transitioned.

I've tried several times since 2006 without success. Some reps tell me it simply is not possible. Some tell me they can disconnect my current service and start new the same day. They cannot complete the order and send me to the reps that can not, or simply send me on a long disconnect.

Does anyone know how I can get my account switched from PPPoE to DHCP?

pflog
Bueller? Bueller?
MVM
join:2001-09-01
El Dorado Hills, CA

pflog

MVM

I'm not sure it's possible...you might want to post in the Verizon Direct forum and ask them. If anyone can do it and will know what you're talking about, it'd be them.

If there isn't a way to convert you, I think a disconnect then re-connect might be your only hope.

danclan
join:2005-11-01
Midlothian, VA

danclan to cbrain

to cbrain
You can do it. However, it requires that your internet service be completely halted as they have break and rebuild your circuit. This can take anywhere from 24 hours to 2 weeks....and there will usually be issues....so its not advised.
cbrain (banned)
Silver Spring, MD

cbrain (banned)

said by pflog:

I'm not sure it's possible...
Because of the technology or the bureaucracy?
said by pflog:

...you might want to post in the Verizon Direct forum and ask them. If anyone can do it and will know what you're talking about, it'd be them.

If there isn't a way to convert you, I think a disconnect then re-connect might be your only hope.
Been there ... done that.

Placed a FiOS order with DSL Extreme earlier this week. I qualified but haven't heard back. I suspect they can't place the order as long as I have active FiOS.
said by danclan:

You can do it. However, it requires that your internet service be completely halted as they have break and rebuild your circuit. This can take anywhere from 24 hours to 2 weeks....and there will usually be issues....so its not advised.
I'm committed to getting it done, it's just a matter of how.

Starting to sound like the best route is to go Comcast for a while. I'll get DHCP, higher speed and lower price for 6 months.

PS: I have 5 Verizon FiOS promos, 2 in addressed envelopes. All are new this week.

PoloDude
Premium Member
join:2006-03-29
Aiken, SC

PoloDude

Premium Member

Just wondering why being on PPOE bothers you so much?
Others can jump in with the math but i remember it being about 1% of the overhead.
cbrain (banned)
Silver Spring, MD

cbrain (banned)

said by PoloDude:

Just wondering why being on PPOE bothers you so much?
Others can jump in with the math but i remember it being about 1% of the overhead.
Why is my reasoning important to you? Since Verizon offers this from my CO, shouldn't a long term customer willing to endure a difficult transition be allowed the same options as a new user.

My reasons are no secret.
1. I log into several systems that use IP authentication. DHCP offers a much more stable IP.
2. Why waste the overhead, no matter how insignificant, for an inferior system.
3. I want it, and all the neighbors I helped install have it.
4. I can get it from Comcast or a Verizon FiOS re-seller and will get it when and if I come back to Verizon.
sameshtdd
join:2006-01-04
Teaneck, NJ

sameshtdd

If you use several systems that require IP authentication, wouldn't a Static IP be a better option?
cbrain (banned)
Silver Spring, MD

cbrain (banned)

said by sameshtdd:

If you use several systems that require IP authentication, wouldn't a Static IP be a better option?
Agreed. I love a good single malt but have a bit too much Scot in me to pay more than the price of Johnnie Walker Black. ISP's used to get IP's free and I think still do. Until they lower the price, I must compromise. I've lived with PPPoE for over 4 years. DHCP is a good first step.
PandaB
join:2008-04-14
Chino Hills, CA

PandaB to cbrain

to cbrain
What's the difference between the two and why is DHCP preferred?
celtic0 (banned)
join:2001-02-08
USA

celtic0 (banned) to cbrain

to cbrain
»en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Po ··· Ethernet

»en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dhcp

DHCP offers more stable IP and lower overhead. Is there any benefit to PPPoE?
celtic0

to cbrain
Migrating your FiOS connection from PPPoE to DHCP This D-Link router firmware upgrade migrates your router connection from the PPPoE protocol to DHCP. This update will reduce connection issues and make troubleshooting easier if issues arise.

The D-Link firmware upgrade applies only to the Model DI-604 and DI-624 routers.

»www22.verizon.com/Reside ··· 4638.htm
druber
join:2000-04-11
Stow, MA

druber

His router firmware has nothing to do with the problem - he cant' just change it, it has to be changed on verizon's end too. And apparently the bureaucracy is not willing to do that for existing customers.
jadziedzic
Premium Member
join:2005-12-12
Nashua, NH

jadziedzic to cbrain

Premium Member

to cbrain
I did this just before final cutover from Verizon to FairPoint happened. The support rep at FP - working with someone from the Fiber Solutions Center, as the FSC was still doing all of the fiber support for FP - said a service disconnect was required, followed by a reconnect. They claimed they could schedule it so the disconnect would occur in the morning, and the reconnect would occur in the afternoon; I would be offline for part of the day.

I agreed, and it wound up taking five days to get my service re-connected. Not only did they disconnect my Internet access, I lost telephone service as well. The reconnect order had apparently gotten "lost" in the system, no one at FairPoint had the slightest clue of how to chase it down, no one at the FSC could find an order, etc., etc., etc.

IF you decide to take the plunge be SURE to the order numbers for BOTH the disconnect and reconnect so you can follow up when the customer support and billing folks are out of the office.

As for WHY the change, I was running into some issues where auto-negotiation of the speed over the network link from the ONT to my D-Link DIR-655 suddenly stopped working - it would only work if I set the router to a fixed 10 Mbps. I read where someone else in our area ran into a similar problem with PPPoE over DSL, and was told by someone at Netgear that FairPoint had tweaked something that caused some issue. I also wanted to get the change completed before the actual cut-over of service since I figured the FP folks would be fairly clueless about fiber ...

Tony

SquareSlinky
Premium Member
join:2004-05-25
Tampa, FL

SquareSlinky to cbrain

Premium Member

to cbrain
Glad to hear that others feel the same way I do. I have called about this 20+ times, with no luck.

Last I tried they wanted to charge me a disconnect fee, even with me telling them I want to sign right back up again. Insane they punish the early adopters.

danclan
Midlothian, VA

danclan

said by SquareSlinky:

Glad to hear that others feel the same way I do. I have called about this 20+ times, with no luck.

Last I tried they wanted to charge me a disconnect fee, even with me telling them I want to sign right back up again. Insane they punish the early adopters.
More insane is that they still keep the PPPoE infrastructure at all and not just migrate all to one standard.
batsona
Maryland
join:2004-04-17
Ellicott City, MD

batsona to cbrain

to cbrain
My Cisco PIX501 suddenly stopped working - it wouldn't pick up an IP over PPP. Oddly enough, neither did my 3Com router, my DLink, and my old Vonage router. -All three of which have a PPPOE setting. Had to call Verizon on it, and their solution was to throw an Actiontec at me. (I'm an early customer from 05, who got the DLink router and NIM back then)

I've love my PIX back, but it simply doesn't work on Verizon's network anymore - I can't get the actiontec to do what I want it to do, and I had it working fine on the PIX. I'd love DHCP...
cbrain (banned)
Silver Spring, MD

cbrain (banned)

said by batsona:

My Cisco PIX501 suddenly stopped working - it wouldn't pick up an IP over PPP. Oddly enough, neither did my 3Com router, my DLink, and my old Vonage router. -All three of which have a PPPOE setting. Had to call Verizon on it, and their solution was to throw an Actiontec at me. (I'm an early customer from 05, who got the DLink router and NIM back then)...
A friend had the same problem with a Cisco 1604R. Once that didn't work, only the Actiontec would. Verizon sent several techs and tried for a week but couldn't make any other router work.
cbrain

cbrain (banned) to danclan

to danclan
said by danclan:

More insane is that they still keep the PPPoE infrastructure at all and not just migrate all to one standard.
Verizon would need to change the router for every user on PPPoE. Not every customer is a BBR regular.

They could add every PPPoE user to the DHCP server and allow knowledgeable users to change whenever ready then transition everyone else as they do maintenance or support.

More Fiber
MVM
join:2005-09-26
Cape Coral, FL

1 edit

More Fiber

MVM

said by cbrain:

Verizon would need to change the router for every user on PPPoE.
Not strictly true.

That only applies to the original D-Link 604/614 routers. IIRC, the switch from PPPoE to DHCP occurred after VZ started deploying Actiontecs, so there is a small subset of Actiontec users on PPPoE.

The Actiontecs support auto-detection of connection type, so those could be switched easily. However, for the D-Link routers, the choice between PPPoE and DHCP must be explicitly selected on the WAN configuration page.

06/30 edit: According to posts in this thread, VZ provided a firmware update for the D-Links to auto-detect PPPoE or DHCP.

danclan
Midlothian, VA

danclan

Verizon did convert people from PPPoE to DHCP several years ago when they switched to DHCP. They however stopped for some inexplicable reason.

Its not hard. All you have to do is change your settings on your router if you wake up one morning and cant login. Its a trivial change for the majority of users and in this case a minority of users still on PPPoE.

SquareSlinky
Premium Member
join:2004-05-25
Tampa, FL

SquareSlinky to cbrain

Premium Member

to cbrain
I have the actiontech now, but no DHCP.

A few years back they were switching people, but did stop. I heard that as well.

HarleyYac
Lee
Premium Member
join:2001-10-13
Allendale, NJ

1 edit

HarleyYac to cbrain

Premium Member

to cbrain
Hi,
At one point they started to. I have tried 3 times and once the rebuilt the circuit and it went back to PPPOE.
The last too times I was denied. I think it is too much trouble to switch everyone and they may only do it if the go from new install or BPON to GPON. That is just an assumption.
Lee
meb (banned)
join:2002-12-12
Potomac, MD

meb (banned) to cbrain

to cbrain
I remember reading about some regions that were changed. I think they let users sign on either way. Did Verizon require a disconnect - reconnect for any of these?
celtic0 (banned)
USA

to cbrain
Why does Verizon make this so difficult?

It would seem they could add whatever credentials they use to authenticate the account to the DHCP server, have the user change their router and the account is now DHCP. If they need to, they could then remove the user from the PPPoE system. Am I missing something?

Smith6612
MVM
join:2008-02-01
North Tonawanda, NY
·Charter
Ubee EU2251
Ubiquiti UAP-IW-HD
Ubiquiti UniFi AP-AC-HD

Smith6612

MVM

Well, that's most of what has to go on. Because PPPoE goes over the ATM system and DHCP does not, Verizon has to mess around with your circuit as well so that it goes through a different circuit, and that's where the wait takes place. Correct me if I'm wrong...
Flizesh
Premium Member
join:2003-08-16
United State

Flizesh to cbrain

Premium Member

to cbrain
I'm still on PPPoE and don't mind it so much. Easier to get a new IP if needed this way.

danclan
Midlothian, VA

danclan

said by Flizesh:

I'm still on PPPoE and don't mind it so much. Easier to get a new IP if needed this way.
True the bigger difference is that there is extra cpu required by your router. The payload overhead is trivial but there is cpu overhead, though with the routers on the market today it should be trivial...should being key word....
celtic0 (banned)
USA

celtic0 (banned) to Flizesh

to Flizesh
said by Flizesh:

Other than changing your identity, I can't think of a single advantage to getting a new IP. Allowing others to go DHCP won't hurt you.
cbrain (banned)
Silver Spring, MD

cbrain (banned)

I've already made the decision to move from PPPoE to DHCP. I never even considered PPPoE for DSL because I had options. I ordered FiOS at the time because I understood we would be switched to DHCP. I should have waited a year. Any discussion of the relative merits of PPPoE vs DHCP belong in another thread. I'm trying to figure the best way to make my move and it looks like many others want the same thing.

birdfeedr
MVM
join:2001-08-11
Warwick, RI

birdfeedr

MVM

said by cbrain:

Any discussion of the relative merits of PPPoE vs DHCP belong in another thread. I'm trying to figure the best way to make my move and it looks like many others want the same thing.
You got your answer in the 2nd reply. All the rest is relative merits.

Hey! A two-fer!

Note the use of the smiley. Lighten up a little.