uniqs

a333
A hot cup of integrals please
join:2007-06-12
Rego Park, NY

1 edit

a333

Hardly surprising...

.... considering that probably 65% or more of the general populace has no CLUE as to what the heck a GB is, how do you expect them to understand that using their 3G aircards outside the US costs extra? I personally know several people who were surprised to learn that voice roaming costs extra when you go international... That, coupled with a complete lack of technical interest or even desire to learn, is what has these people rushing to the nearest media outlet faster than you can say "roaming".....
I mean, yes, it would TEND to help if wireless companies were a tad more helpful when it came to notifications, i.e. the walled garden system, but as they say... you can't fix stupid.

Peace,
a333

banditws6
Shrinking Time and Distance
Premium Member
join:2001-08-18
Frisco, TX

banditws6

Premium Member

No, you can't fix stupid, and boy have we got a lot of stupid.

At the same time, 3G aircards and other means of getting onto wireless data networks are becoming more and more mainstream, especially with the subsidized netbooks being bundled with them as the article mentions. We're going to be seeing more and more non-tech savvy people getting on board with these devices and not understanding all of the minutiae.

It is therefore my belief that the wireless companies need to do a better job of warning users when bandwidth consumption strays into the "ludicrously expensive" category. And I mean really warning people, like by calling the number associated with the account holder, not just sending a fire-and-forget SMS that isn't guaranteed to be received by the device in question and saying "Due diligence done!" Or, provide the customer with an option to have their service suspended when a particular amount of bandwidth has been consumed, just in case.

But then the wireless companies couldn't profit from your stupidity, ignorance, or honest mistakes...could they.
Corydon
Cultivant son jardin
Premium Member
join:2008-02-18
Denver, CO

Corydon to a333

Premium Member

to a333
Part of the problem may be a lack of understanding when it comes to what kind of roaming we're talking about.

Lots (all?) of mobile phone companies make a big deal of offering free roaming (for voice within the US). How many sales pitches come with those caveats?

The customer hears free roaming and figures he doesn't have to worry about traveling.

KrK
Heavy Artillery For The Little Guy
Premium Member
join:2000-01-17
Tulsa, OK
Netgear WNDR3700v2
Zoom 5341J

KrK to a333

Premium Member

to a333
Let's not mention that the advertising ACTS like you get default service while overseas and mentions nothing about extra service plans or paying extra.

Look at AT&T's whole "Slad and Veeder" campaign. TV and radio blanketed with these ads about AT&T network worldwide.

I'm betting a lot of people think that means they can use their phones on that network on their existing plans. Bzzzzzzt. Wrong guess. Oh they can.... they'll just get the mega-bill later.
BarneyBadAss
Badasses Fight For Freedom
Premium Member
join:2004-05-07

BarneyBadAss to a333

Premium Member

to a333
GB isn't that Great Britain

Michail
Premium Member
join:2000-08-02
Boynton Beach, FL

Michail to a333

Premium Member

to a333
I'd like to know how 9 Gigs of data transfer is worth that much money? Even if we're talking Antarctica or the moon.

Does the CEO of AT&T personally have to calculate the bill by hand to justify that kind of cost?

Did they have to chase after Adam on his trip, erecting temporary antennas?

We're talking 3 orders of magnitude from a normal bill.
Big Dawg 23
join:2002-03-27
Northfield, MN

Big Dawg 23 to BarneyBadAss

to BarneyBadAss
I think that is what the user thought. I think they should start making these idiots pay the bill. To the early post and Ron White "You can fix beauty but you can't fix stupid".

cameronsfx
join:2009-01-08
Panama City, FL

3 recommendations

cameronsfx to banditws6

to banditws6
I know Obama was shocked his Blackberry didn't work in Saudi Arabia.

Yes, consumers are stupid. If they were smart, no one would pay $15,000 for a handbag or $80,000 for a GM car.

If voters were smart, they wouldn't have elected Stuart Smally either. Or Obama.
venom999
join:2008-05-22

venom999

or Bush? Twice?

Buttset
join:2001-11-12
Ladson, SC

Buttset

Let's pray Obama has 1 term.
cerone
join:2001-10-28
Hollywood, FL