Maccawolf
Premium Member
join:2001-02-20
Hillsdale, NJ

2 recommendations

Maccawolf

Premium Member

Myth BUSTED

I have no sympathy for him. He should READ the TOC just like everyone else. I don't know about anyone else, but I don't want to live in a nanny state where THEY look after me to keep me from doing something STUPID.

canesfan2001
join:2003-02-04
Hialeah, FL

1 edit

1 recommendation

canesfan2001

If you examine his Twitter feed you see that ATT claims 9GB of use, he is very aware of what the rates/Data use is. This case happens to involve ATT possibly being wrong about the data usage total, not him not knowing better. Wouldn't be the first time a carrier was wrong about data usage.
jjeffeory
jjeffeory
join:2002-12-04
Bloomington, IN

2 recommendations

jjeffeory to Maccawolf

to Maccawolf
said by Maccawolf:

I have no sympathy for him. He should READ the TOC just like everyone else. I don't know about anyone else, but I don't want to live in a nanny state where THEY look after me to keep me from doing something STUPID.
Too late!

funchords
Hello
MVM
join:2001-03-11
Yarmouth Port, MA

1 edit

3 recommendations

funchords to Maccawolf

MVM

to Maccawolf
said by Maccawolf:

I have no sympathy for him.
That says volumes about you and nothing about him.
said by Maccawolf:

He should READ the TOC just like everyone else.
My guess is that he read the TOC just like everyone else, which is to say that he either didn't read it or understand it because it was too long or too dense. Those things aren't meant for consumers to read, they're meant to protect the carrier from claims.
said by Maccawolf:

I don't know about anyone else, but I don't want to live in a nanny state where THEY look after me to keep me from doing something STUPID.
Be sure to wear your seat belt.

Surprise charges on telecom bills is very similar to the surprises folks would see on consumer loans. This is exactly the reason why loan applications have that big disclosure box giving out the key rates and fees in easy-to-read font. It's a useful tool.

These laws aren't there to protect you from yourself, they're there to protect you from the acts of others that just take advantage of the fact that you're a human being minding his own business.

fifty nine
join:2002-09-25
Sussex, NJ

1 recommendation

fifty nine to Maccawolf

to Maccawolf
said by Maccawolf:

I don't know about anyone else, but I don't want to live in a nanny state where THEY look after me to keep me from doing something STUPID.
The irony of this of course is that you live in NJ.
Joe12345678
join:2003-07-22
Des Plaines, IL

Joe12345678 to canesfan2001

to canesfan2001
said by canesfan2001:

If you examine his Twitter feed you see that ATT claims 9GB of use, he is very aware of what the rates/Data use is. This case happens to involve ATT possibly being wrong about the data usage total, not him not knowing better. Wouldn't be the first time a carrier was wrong about data usage.
Doen't The Iphone do a lot of background data use?

Did thing it was on the rogers network and it endless tried to download some software over and over again?

ninjatutle
Premium
join:2006-01-02
San Ramon, CA

1 edit

ninjatutle to canesfan2001

to canesfan2001
I think his course of action now would be to look at the Canadian networked he tapped into. I haven't roamed yet so I don't know what the data would look like.

Thats what my 3G details look like from logging into my account. They show you each time you log on and the amount of data consumed.

9GB? Was he doing a remote backup? Uploading footage back to his home office? Was he the only person using the PC? Why did he bring his 3G card in the first place? I'm never bringing my card out side of the states.

ee4
@comcast.net

ee4 to Maccawolf

Anon

to Maccawolf
talk about stupid. try reading and understanding what you are reading. adam wants to make sure att can add right.

ninjatutle
Premium
join:2006-01-02
San Ramon, CA

ninjatutle

Why doesn't he post his account log?
rradina
join:2000-08-08
Chesterfield, MO

1 recommendation

rradina to Joe12345678

to Joe12345678
Yes but the first month I had my iPhone I went nuts and still only managed to consume 1GB of download. It's now running no more than half that.

Unless Adam was taking and sending lots of big pictures or watching lots of streaming video, I don't know how he managed to use that much with an iPhone.

I assume we're talking about an iPhone here, right? If we're talking about a different phone to which he tethered a laptop or a laptop card, then 9GB isn't all that much.
Expand your moderator at work

KrazyDawg
join:2001-02-07
San Francisco, CA

KrazyDawg to Maccawolf

to Maccawolf

Re: Myth BUSTED

Isn't NJ the state attempting to pass a law to ban GPS operation in cars?

»www.foxnews.com/story/0, ··· ,00.html

Jodokast96
Stupid people piss me off.
Premium Member
join:2005-11-23
NJ

Jodokast96

Premium Member

said by KrazyDawg:

God, I hate these assholes.

DOStradamus
MVM
join:2003-11-04
Santa Rosa, CA

2 recommendations

DOStradamus

MVM

Here's the core of the problem... Ever hear some Congressman or State legislator say something on the news that makes you say "How'd he EVER get in office... you'd have to be a complete, f-***ing IDIOT to cast a vote for him!"?

He's just looking out for his core constituency! There's a *lot* of idiots out there, and we allow them all to vote.

Q: What do you get when you form a majority coalition of idiots, authoritarian leftists, and the corrupt or corruptible?

A. California

-NK
Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium Member
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ

Kearnstd to Maccawolf

Premium Member

to Maccawolf
if he is smart the phone is registered to the show or M5, that way they can just write the 11k bill off come tax time as an expense!

fifty nine
join:2002-09-25
Sussex, NJ

fifty nine to Jodokast96

to Jodokast96
said by Jodokast96:

said by KrazyDawg:

God, I hate these assholes.
It would probably be like the cell phone ban. A stupid feel good measure that is hardly enforced.
fifty nine

fifty nine to KrazyDawg

to KrazyDawg
said by KrazyDawg:

NJ also just passed the one gun a month bill.

Michail
Premium Member
join:2000-08-02
Boynton Beach, FL

Michail

Premium Member

said by fifty nine:

said by KrazyDawg:

NJ also just passed the one gun a month bill.
It's not really as bad as it sounds. They just don't want you to program the GPS while driving. It's not a good idea to do that anyway but I don't think it's worth making a law.

When I rented a GPS it came with the moving lock enabled. I disabled it so it could be operated by a passenger.

FastiBook
join:2003-01-08
Newtown, PA

1 edit

FastiBook to Joe12345678

to Joe12345678
No. There is no background anything. You need push services on (per app), location services on, and the mail setting to be updated every x minutes for it to do anything in the "background".

Some points:

One, when i have my iPhone in airplane mode with wifi on, there is no extraneous activity on the router, even over several hours.

Two, over 2 lines and a month of serious web browsing, downloading apps, watching videos etc, our combined total is something like 300 megs. We were not going easy on our phones in the least bit, and ever since my iBook's dc board has been acting up i've been using my iPhone more & more.

Three. 2G data does not count towards the iPhone data plan cap. Unless he was in some amazingly well connected 3G area (which i'm not sure canada has, i don't have enough knowledge on the issue), there's no way you could even rack up 9 gigs over a month given the slower speeds vs wifi even with an iPhone 3Gs.

So, in conclusion, you can see the only way 9 gigs of download could be even possible is if he was using his phone every day all day every minute, which really isn't practical. Few hundred megs a day is what that would equate to. Unless he was tethering (which you can't do currently), or mistakenly using 3G vs wifi is the only thing i can see, even then.... I don't even use 9 gigs a month on my fios connection

Innocent.

- A
FastiBook

FastiBook to fifty nine

to fifty nine
Heh, they don't pull you over, they read your plate & mail you the ticket.

It is enforced heavily, just in random patterns. 2 of my family members work in NJ and both require phones that can do hands free operation, speakerphone at the very least.

One of my friends had an employee going over the washington crossing bridge into NJ, and he was scrambling for his BT headset (hand on wheel eyes on road slowing down actually), but NJ state trooper was parked right at the gas station across the way there, sure enough he got a ticket in the mail 3 weeks later Not sure how much it was for tho.

Also, i've noticed that cops are going after tailgaters on the major highways. This ain't a race track, no drafting!

- A

pnh102
Reptiles Are Cuddly And Pretty
Premium Member
join:2002-05-02
Mount Airy, MD

pnh102 to KrazyDawg

Premium Member

to KrazyDawg
NJ also doesn't believe that its citizens can be trusted to pump their own gas.

keyboard5684
Sam
join:2001-08-01
Pittsburgh, PA

keyboard5684 to KrazyDawg

to KrazyDawg
NJ is also, last time I was there, the state where they will not let people pump their own gas! It is so funny to see someone that has lived in New Jersey there whole life and come here and cannot figure out why no one is pumping there gas? "Where is the damn attendant, what do I do! OMG!"

Too funny.

And everybody needs to look at what he is saying. He is saying that he did not use 9Gb of data. He is not saying "Ooops, I did not know I would be charged that much, silly me"... he is saying he did not use that much data... period.
Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium Member
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ

1 recommendation

Kearnstd

Premium Member

said by keyboard5684:

NJ is also, last time I was there, the state where they will not let people pump their own gas! It is so funny to see someone that has lived in New Jersey there whole life and come here and cannot figure out why no one is pumping there gas? "Where is the damn attendant, what do I do! OMG!"

Too funny.

And everybody needs to look at what he is saying. He is saying that he did not use 9Gb of data. He is not saying "Ooops, I did not know I would be charged that much, silly me"... he is saying he did not use that much data... period.
having lived 28 years in CT, there are times living in NJ now i have almost gotten out of the car to pump it myself when the attendant is too slow. but i know that with my luck a cop would be in line and give me some ticket(if it is even ticketable).

Maccawolf
Premium Member
join:2001-02-20
Hillsdale, NJ

Maccawolf

Premium Member

Personally, I wouldn't mind pumping it myself. Especially if they dropped the price by a couple of cents a gallon for the privilege.

Jodokast96
Stupid people piss me off.
Premium Member
join:2005-11-23
NJ

Jodokast96

Premium Member

said by Maccawolf:

Personally, I wouldn't mind pumping it myself. Especially if they dropped the price by a couple of cents a gallon for the privilege.
Go for it. No one's going to stop you, I do it all of the time. But even if the "law" was changed, it wouldn't change the price.

NyQuil Kid
8f The Nyquil Kid
join:2001-01-06
Brick, NJ

NyQuil Kid to Jodokast96

to Jodokast96
Are they insane? Jesus Christ the nanny state is getting closer and closer...

purple111111111
@dslextreme.com

purple111111111 to canesfan2001

Anon

to canesfan2001
ATT are just crooks.
called them to relocate service location asked how much it would cost. they told me flat rate of $55 over the phone. The tech arrives says he won't do it unless i paid $80, I already owe att $55 just because the guy showed up. I agreed with reservations, he spent 30 min doing the work then sat in his truck after he was done for an hour. I get the bill $230 for labour. They did not want to drop it back to $80, did research found the tech's GPS showed he was in my area for 4 hours. BTW everything was working 30 min after he left. I asked for the reciept, they did not call me back. called again they did not want to waive anything said charges are sustained, where threatening to cut my service. Had my lawyer send them a letter demanding the reciept, then it turn out the tech made a mistake. They ended up dropping the labour charges completely, but still sent me the bill for the late charges that were the result of the disputed charges. These people drive me crazy, the employees that handle the customer service are stupid as a door knob no etiquette, disrespectful, they bring you to the verge of an emotional breakdown. I get tremours after I hang up the phone with these people. But the company itself are just crooks they way they do business promise you one thing then they change it and 6 months later start jacking up the rates. And this whole thing about charging extra for foreign kilobytes is a bunch of B.S. The internet belongs to the US government so by definition all kilobytes are domestic. These bytes do not belong to ATT to be charging you for them

mech1164
I'll Be Back
join:2001-11-19
Lodi, NJ

mech1164 to DOStradamus

to DOStradamus
said by DOStradamus:

Q: What do you get when you form a majority coalition of idiots, authoritarian leftists, and the corrupt or corruptible?

A. California

-NK

Also Washington DC (Both the District and The Federal Government)
mech1164

1 recommendation

mech1164 to Jodokast96

to Jodokast96
said by Jodokast96:

said by Maccawolf:

Go for it. No one's going to stop you, I do it all of the time. But even if the "law" was changed, it wouldn't change the price.
Well the way the state is run. The price would probably go up for the privilege.

dathing
join:2002-01-09
Sykesville, MD

dathing to purple111111111

to purple111111111
said by purple111111111 :

The internet belongs to the US government so by definition all kilobytes are domestic. These bytes do not belong to ATT to be charging you for them
You're joking, right?