All noise, no signal.
Premium Member
join:2003-07-20
Jamestown, NC

1 recommendation

Matt3

Premium Member

This Day and Age

I still don't understand why it takes AT&T DAYS to provide a data usage total. In this day and age, you would think they could track it simply. It just goes to show what a dinosaur AT&T and their systems really are.

morbo
Complete Your Transaction
join:2002-01-22

1 recommendation

morbo

they can, they just don't want to.

why? they make more money this way. they've run the numbers with providing instant feedback or at least, daily feedback on usage to users vs. dealing with negative PR from these types of stories. you can tell the choice they have made.

drew
Radiant
Premium Member
join:2002-07-10
Port Orchard, WA

drew to Matt3

Premium Member

to Matt3
I only hope that Adam is a big enough celeb that can really do something to fight them on this and maybe get something done about it for good.

Godspeed Mr. Savage

FFH5
Premium Member
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ

2 edits

FFH5 to morbo

Premium Member

to morbo
said by morbo:

why? they make more money this way. they've run the numbers with providing instant feedback or at least, daily feedback on usage to users vs. dealing with negative PR from these types of stories. you can tell the choice they have made.
My Sprint account keeps up to date within about a 15 min window. I can check minutes used; data used; # text msgs; etc. If Sprint, the poster child for poor customer svc can do this so easily, so should AT&T.

Used about 49 MB of data in 3 weeks. A weakly enforced 5GB/month is the cap.

Matt3
All noise, no signal.
Premium Member
Jamestown, NC

Matt3

Premium Member

Not only does it not update frequently, I've called in before and they couldn't even tell me what the data usage was FOR. They bury their data usage under a subpage -- all they show on the main account management page is txt msgs under the data tab.

It looks like my usage has been updated as of 2AM this morning, but nothing since.
k1ll3rdr4g0n
join:2005-03-19
Homer Glen, IL

k1ll3rdr4g0n to morbo

to morbo
said by morbo:

No they can't because when you "roam" AT&T has to wait for the other provider to bill AT&T with the data usage so therefore usage is lagged.

No matter what ANY provider says (pointing at LiamJunket) they cannot provide instant up to date information with data that comes from different networks. In order for "instant feedback" to work, the providers would actually have to *work* with each other instead of bickering, complaining, and lying like little children. And you will always have that one oddball provider out in the middle of nowhere that no major carrier cares enough to invite into their "roaming billing system".

FFH5
Premium Member
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ

1 edit

FFH5

Premium Member

said by k1ll3rdr4g0n:

No matter what ANY provider says (pointing at LiamJunket) they cannot provide instant up to date information with data that comes from different networks.
If you are going to a different country, 1st rule, unless you are filthy rich, is don't use wireless cell data. Use WiFi only.

My smartphone is set to REFUSE data roaming(that is the default) off of Sprint's network. I can't do it by accident. If I turn it on, then I accepted the costs involved.

morbo
Complete Your Transaction
join:2002-01-22

morbo to k1ll3rdr4g0n

to k1ll3rdr4g0n
AT&T and other providers have zero incentive to provide this near-real time data and to work together to accomplish it.

So, there are a few options here. All rely upon the goodness of AT&T's (and others') heart to care for the consumer except one: mandate it.

Problem solved.

Karl Bode
News Guy
join:2000-03-02

Karl Bode to drew

News Guy

to drew
He'll get a call and refund within 24 hours I bet, speaking to the power of the Tweet (and blogs). But I dunno if they'll improve this system any.

Matt3
All noise, no signal.
Premium Member
Jamestown, NC

Matt3 to k1ll3rdr4g0n

Premium Member

to k1ll3rdr4g0n
said by k1ll3rdr4g0n:

said by morbo:

No they can't because when you "roam" AT&T has to wait for the other provider to bill AT&T with the data usage so therefore usage is lagged.

No matter what ANY provider says (pointing at LiamJunket) they cannot provide instant up to date information with data that comes from different networks. In order for "instant feedback" to work, the providers would actually have to *work* with each other instead of bickering, complaining, and lying like little children. And you will always have that one oddball provider out in the middle of nowhere that no major carrier cares enough to invite into their "roaming billing system".
Why can't they even provide up-to-date information for domestic usage on their OWN network?
Matt3

Matt3 to Karl Bode

Premium Member

to Karl Bode
said by Karl Bode:

He'll get a call and refund within 24 hours I bet, speaking to the power of the Tweet (and blogs). But I dunno if they'll improve this system any.
I completely agree. The squeaky wheel and all that ...

Karl Bode
News Guy
join:2000-03-02

1 recommendation

Karl Bode

News Guy

AT&T just e-mailed me to note they're already working with him.

I plan to inquire why they can't improve the high bill notification system for a future bit.

drew
Radiant
Premium Member
Port Orchard, WA

drew

Premium Member

Good plan! Thanks Karl.

Ride on Savage's coattails and get this system better for all... Sad that it should come to this to make a difference.

PapaMidnight
join:2009-01-13
Baltimore, MD

PapaMidnight to FFH5

to FFH5
said by FFH5:

said by morbo:

My Sprint account keeps up to date within about a 15 min window. I can check minutes used; data used; # text msgs; etc. If Sprint, the poster child for poor customer svc can do this so easily, so should AT&T.

[att=1]

Used about 49 MB of data in 3 weeks. A weakly enforced 5GB/month is the cap.
I don't if Sprint has a cap. If they do, that image alone is enough to get any such cost for breaking a cap thrown out if someone sought to do so in court. It clearly says unlimited there. That would be false advertising if I ever saw it.
me1212
join:2008-11-20
Lees Summit, MO

me1212 to drew

to drew
Still if it helps, then it can be good.

Ya know some how I am not surprised it was him not another mythbuster.

dodgetech2
join:2002-01-01
Gouldsboro, PA

dodgetech2 to morbo

to morbo
said by morbo:

Exactly.....
k1ll3rdr4g0n
join:2005-03-19
Homer Glen, IL

k1ll3rdr4g0n to Matt3

to Matt3
said by Matt3:

said by k1ll3rdr4g0n:

said by morbo:

Why can't they even provide up-to-date information for domestic usage on their OWN network?
That's a good question which I don't have the answer to - perhaps they treat all data (voice/data/text) as "roaming" data and want to make sure everything is billed correctly (haha I joke)?

But I know the reason why the data isn't instant for when you "roam" is correct, and makes perfect sense - otherwise I have no idea, lets go ask them.

Honestly I think when I get my bill I should see every packet, the size, what tower it came from and other information like the actual text in a text message. But that's just me .

Eagles1221
join:2009-04-29
Vincentown, NJ

Eagles1221 to Karl Bode

to Karl Bode
Verizon has this:

I get an email (as company administrator) when my BB or Aircards get to 90% of the data limit. So I get emails at 200MB or so onthe 250 MB card and 4.something GB on my 5 GB cards.

ATT should do the same....but then they won't get all the yummy overage fees.

drew
Radiant
Premium Member
Port Orchard, WA

drew

Premium Member

But when is that? I mean is it the second you hit 200 or 4.something GB? Or is it 12 hours later? Could the user go check that themselves?

See what we're getting at here? The systems are designed to trap the end user into paying for overages. Always.

This is no different than those payday advance places: they prey on the ignorant and uninformed. Shameful, really.

Eagles1221
join:2009-04-29
Vincentown, NJ

Eagles1221 to Matt3

to Matt3
I got it 15 minutes after the threshold. Even it it was an hour it would still be more useful than that ATT does.

drew
Radiant
Premium Member
Port Orchard, WA

drew

Premium Member

That's certainly reasonable.

Bor
@telus.net

Bor to PapaMidnight

Anon

to PapaMidnight
said by PapaMidnight:

I don't if Sprint has a cap. If they do, that image alone is enough to get any such cost for breaking a cap thrown out if someone sought to do so in court. It clearly says unlimited there. That would be false advertising if I ever saw it.
WTH does that have to do with anything? The guy posted to show it's possible to track usage, and that's all.

FastiBook
join:2003-01-08
Newtown, PA

1 recommendation

FastiBook to FFH5

to FFH5
If sprint had the number of customers and the varied patchwork of other networks it operates across that att has i'm sure it too would discard 15 minute billing updates for something more practical.

When sbc/cingular/bellsouth aquired att wireless & the whole new dealio became att, they had a blue network (legacy att) and orange network (former cingular), and they were not compatible. In 2007 i believe it was, att phased out the blue network entirely, giving people options to upgrade to free phones on the orange network or waive early termination fee & end service.

Believe it or not there is still a blue and orange network (only on the backside), and they don't talk well to each other, and they can't determine on a minute by minute basis which tower you are connected to, even with a dwindling number of blue network cell towers, it's still an issue. Once all the blue network remnants are removed, they should be able to do hour by hour usage tracking.

All of this information was gathered by me over years of talking to equipment techs & backend support personnel. Normally blue network towers are 850 mhz heavy, geared towards car phones and high powered execs in sealed war rooms doing hostile takeovers, whereas orange is more balanced, but a bit light on 850 here and there, which they need to frekin fix.

In any case, 2 calls i've made to att about network issues were resolved by a callback from field equipment techs (the folks that work on the towers & related infrastructure) and given me an explanation that i had guessed before the call based on the type of issue i had.

- A

mech1164
I'll Be Back
join:2001-11-19
Lodi, NJ

mech1164

said by FastiBook:

If sprint had the number of customers and the varied patchwork of other networks it operates across that att has i'm sure it too would discard 15 minute billing updates for something more practical.

When sbc/cingular/bellsouth aquired att wireless & the whole new dealio became att, they had a blue network (legacy att) and orange network (former cingular), and they were not compatible. In 2007 i believe it was, att phased out the blue network entirely, giving people options to upgrade to free phones on the orange network or waive early termination fee & end service.

Believe it or not there is still a blue and orange network (only on the backside), and they don't talk well to each other, and they can't determine on a minute by minute basis which tower you are connected to, even with a dwindling number of blue network cell towers, it's still an issue. Once all the blue network remnants are removed, they should be able to do hour by hour usage tracking.

All of this information was gathered by me over years of talking to equipment techs & backend support personnel. Normally blue network towers are 850 mhz heavy, geared towards car phones and high powered execs in sealed war rooms doing hostile takeovers, whereas orange is more balanced, but a bit light on 850 here and there, which they need to frekin fix.

In any case, 2 calls i've made to att about network issues were resolved by a callback from field equipment techs (the folks that work on the towers & related infrastructure) and given me an explanation that i had guessed before the call based on the type of issue i had.

- A
Then whose responsibility is it then? AT&T should have gotten their act together years ago. Instead they nickel and dime you and can't figure the arse from their elbow.

They have made millions from the Iphone on their system. Time enough to get things right. Oh wait silly that's not AT&T.