All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
uniqs
cwvallier
join:2009-06-26
Turlock, CA

cwvallier to mmay149q

to mmay149q

Re: New UVerse Install - what to expect?

Thanks for the reply, Matt. I think I am only a few hundred feet from the VRAD, so that is good. Will I have the option to place the RG anywhere in the house?
mmay149q
Premium Member
join:2009-03-05
Dallas, TX

mmay149q

Premium Member

said by cwvallier:

Thanks for the reply, Matt. I think I am only a few hundred feet from the VRAD, so that is good. Will I have the option to place the RG anywhere in the house?
Yes and no, really this is a better question for ILpt4U to answer, since he's in the field and I'm in a cube.

If you ask for them to place it somewhere, they will do it if it doesn't require adding cable, and if they have to add cable then I think it's a charge, but I'm not 100% sure on that.

ILpt4U, what's the verdict?

Thanks, Matt

U-Verse Tier II Technical Support.

ILpt4U
Premium Member
join:2006-11-12
Saint Louis, MO
ARRIS TM822
Asus RT-N66

1 edit

ILpt4U

Premium Member

Official Policy is it is tech discretion on placement of the RG.

That being said, unless the customer request is completely ridiculous, I am usually flexible.

In theory, best location is an office that has Cat 5 (or even Cat 3) ran to it. Next locations are an office that has Coax and phone jacks, and then the TV where the DVR receiver is going, especially if it has a phone jack near it.

If the house has structured wiring to a central point in a basement or closet, than that is the ideal placement.

One thing to note: Once the RG is placed, it pretty much has to stay there. It cannot be picked up & moved to another Coax or Phone jack like a regular Cable or ADSL modem. The jacks are specifically wired to put the RG where the tech installs it.
cwvallier
Turlock, CA

cwvallier

Thanks for the info, guys. I am looking forward to monday. Hope the service lives up to the hype.
mmay149q
Premium Member
Dallas, TX

mmay149q

Premium Member

said by cwvallier:

Thanks for the info, guys. I am looking forward to monday. Hope the service lives up to the hype.
If it doesn't, then on Monday private message me your billing account number (or your U-Verse installation order number) and your phone number on the account, and a good number to reach you at, and I'll make sure it get's taken care of, I'm known as "The warrior of U-Verse Tech Support" lol, and I don't stop till it's fixed.

Thanks, Matt

cwvallier
Turlock, CA

cwvallier

Will do. Thank you.

ILpt4U
Premium Member
join:2006-11-12
Saint Louis, MO
ARRIS TM822
Asus RT-N66

ILpt4U to mmay149q

Premium Member

to mmay149q
One more thing to note: If you have any type of monitored alarm service (a la Brinks, ADT, etc etc) make sure you let the install tech know first thing when he calls and/or shows up.

And if you have said alarm system, make sure you confirm with the alarm company that they are compatible w/ U-Verse VoIP (Voice over Internet Protocol), and also conduct a test of your alarm system before the tech arrives.

Of course, if you have no alarm system, then disregard all those instructions =)
ILpt4U

ILpt4U to cwvallier

Premium Member

to cwvallier
said by cwvallier:

I think I am only a few hundred feet from the VRAD, so that is good.
I missed that comment b4.

IMHO, that is great news.

That being said, there are techs out there that will swear that you can be "too close" (usually the under 500' range) to the VRAD and it actually causes service problems.

Every repair I have been on for "too close to VRAD" issues, I have found something else that needed fixed (bad splitter, ends, etc) that was really causing problems. I am NOT a believer in the "too close" camp.

I have seen modems Max Potential rates in the 70+ Mbps range (on VDSL). That is real real close =). And it worked great on that job, too.
cwvallier
Turlock, CA

cwvallier to ILpt4U

to ILpt4U
How about this. I have cable internet now through Charter. SInce u-verse will be using the coax that is now carrying internet, do I need to make sure I cancel Charter before the install, or does it not matter? Also, I will probably put the RG on my entertainment center. Can the TV be wired directly to the RG, using S-video or HDMI cables? Does the RG HAVE to have a ups power supply to work, or is it just recomended?
mmay149q
Premium Member
Dallas, TX

mmay149q

Premium Member

said by cwvallier:

How about this. I have cable internet now through Charter. SInce u-verse will be using the coax that is now carrying internet, do I need to make sure I cancel Charter before the install, or does it not matter? Also, I will probably put the RG on my entertainment center. Can the TV be wired directly to the RG, using S-video or HDMI cables? Does the RG HAVE to have a ups power supply to work, or is it just recomended?
Do apologize, when you asked this I was out of the office as it was my day off, how have your services been working? You don't have to cancel Charter, but Charter and U-verse can't work on the same coax cables, so only 1 TV signal will have to come in, unless your are going Cat 5 straight from the RG to the STB (to evaluate your new U-Verse services and still use Charter) So that's something to think about as well, if there's any other questions please feel free to ask!

Thanks, Matt

cwvallier
Turlock, CA

cwvallier

I would like to tell you how the service is working, but I dont have it yet. Install is supposed to be between 12-2 today; it is now 1:50 and no installer, phone call, or email yet. Hope he makes it in the next ten minutes as today is my only day off...
cwvallier

cwvallier

Just 40 minutes on the phone with ATT because no installer showed up. They are saying I cancelled the order when they called to confirm. That is not true. I have been waiting all day for them to show up. A manager is going to call back to work on a new install date. That is going to be very difficult because today is my only day off from work. I have already been without TV for six days waiting for this install because the hard drive on my Directv Tivo crashed. Not sure I will be willing to wait for ATT again. Still have not cancelled my service with Directv - I may just go to Costco and pick up a new DVR if ATT does not get out here in the next day or two...