All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs

co
@atx.net

co

Anon

Philly sport fans, how do you deal without CN8?

I want to switch over to FIOS in my area, as I have Comcast now. I am a huge Philly sports fan (Flyers, Eagles, 76ers, and Phillies), and the overflow games for the Flyers, Phillies and 76ers all get shown on CN8 (now known as the Comcast Network). Each year it totals 5 Flyers games, 5 76ers games, and many games in the month of April for the Phils.

FIOS is so much better then Comcast, but I still love to have the option to watch ALL of my Philly sports teams, and I am wondering if it bothers you guys if you miss a few games a year because FIOS doesn't offer CN8.

Thanks!

SeattleMatt
Streaming Tech Director
Premium Member
join:2001-12-28
Seattle, WA

1 edit

SeattleMatt

Premium Member

Absoultely not.

Everyone got worked up this year - and as you said, it affected maybe a handful of games.

I'm as big a Philly sports fan as anyone - and the absence of CN8 is far outweighed by the 124 HD channels.

For the 1 instance, I just went down to the neighborhood bar to watch the game.

keyboards
join:2001-02-14
Doylestown, PA

keyboards to co

to co
I agree with Jeep. The better (larger) selection of HD channels far outweighs the loss of a few games during the season overlaps. Would it be nice to have - yes. Would it ever be a deal breaker - no.
thetick
join:2009-06-22
White Plains, NY

thetick to co

to co
With only few games missing during the year plan to go visit a friend with CN8 or your local bar. Make it positive experience instead of negative. We'll maybe not a friend's place since he/she may end up getting Verizon TV also. Support your local businesses.

Vamp9190
Premium Member
join:2002-02-11
Chantilly, VA

Vamp9190 to co

Premium Member

to co
Yeah, you could make a doctor's appt. & watch the game in the waiting room, plus the post-game show and the movie showing after that.

or maybe at the DMV....

jimbo248
join:2001-08-09
Plymouth Meeting, PA

jimbo248 to co

to co
Huge fan here also but Jeep makes an excellent point. There have been a few games on CN8, but the quality of FIOS and the HD channels make it worth while. I'm sure you have a friend or family member with Comcast. Find a reason to visit them and say "I wanted to watch the game with you!"

GeekGirl1
Premium Member
join:2007-01-28
Morrisville, PA

GeekGirl1 to co

Premium Member

to co
FWIW, CN8 is now called CNP. You can makeup the loss of CNP by listening to the play-by-play on the radio.

You can follow the Phillies in near real-time with the Gameday pitch-by-pitch on the MLB website - no login needed, free access. I think there were only 2 (?) Phillies games on CNP.
jwdv22
join:2008-01-15
Phoenixville, PA

jwdv22 to co

to co
HUGE Sports fan and avid Verizon fan... It is not a deal breaker for me, just a really big annoyance. I would still switch from Comcast to Verizon 100xtimes over again.

Radio is not as magical without Harry, but the good old radio is still good.

Oh also, I will honestly tell you it wasn't one or two games this year. It was more like 5 or 6 because you have to remember both Sixers and Flyers made the playoffs. Now if the Flyers went deep like the year before, then forget about it. You lose like 10 games, which in the course of the 162 game year doesn't seem like a lot, but it is if you have been waiting and waiting and waiting to see your World Phucking Champs play again.

SIDE NOTE** The Phillies are being cheap by not calling up Carrasco to pitch Friday. They don't want to start the service clock on any of these young pitchers, which is why we are getting stuck with R.Lopez pitching. Phillies got this guy for a sack of potatoes and they have 3 pitchers at AAA with better ERA's... Sorry for the rant
Electro960
join:2005-12-21
Doylestown, PA

Electro960

If those extra 5 games are so important to you then why don't you keep the basic Comcast package which is at around $15 per month. Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe CN8 is a part of basic.

co
@aol.com

co to co

Anon

to co
Electro960
Doylestown, PA If those extra 5 games are so important to you then why don't you keep the basic Comcast package which is at around $15 per month. Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe CN8 is a part of basic.
----------------------------------------------------------

Thats a great idea! I emailed Comcast and they replied the basic, basic package is $16.95 a month. I am definitely going to consider it.
-----------------------------------------------------------

jwdv22, I think the reason the Phillies aren't bringing up many of their pitchers from AAA is that they want them to beef up their stats down there to make them more tradeable. If they bring them up to the Majors and they get smoked, they feel they might lose their value for the trade deadline. Just a theory.