Premium Member
join:2001-08-25
Miami, FL

Robert to baineschile

Premium Member

to baineschile

Re: Surprised?

said by baineschile:

Kinda scary to think whats going to happen when ATT launches LTE; and the problems they will face with that.

Just another testament on why Apple should move to VZW
Once VZW adds 30+ million iphones to their network, I'm sure you'll see a slow down too.

Matt3
All noise, no signal.
Premium Member
join:2003-07-20
Jamestown, NC

Matt3

Premium Member

said by Robert:

said by baineschile:

Kinda scary to think whats going to happen when ATT launches LTE; and the problems they will face with that.

Once VZW adds 30+ million iphones to their network, I'm sure you'll see a slow down too.
I don't think that would occur. It's my understanding that CDMA and EVDO are inherently more efficient than GSM/HSDPA. Additionally, you can roam on any CDMA/EVDO tower whereas AT&T (for the most part) has to go it alone. Verizon has the luxury of roaming among Alltel (now Verizon) and Sprint towers.

It's not like this is new to AT&T anyway. I performed a HUGE migration of worldwide users to a BlackBerry system and I had numerous people returning AT&T Blackberries because their service was awful.

Robert
Premium Member
join:2001-08-25
Miami, FL

Robert

Premium Member

said by Matt3:

said by Robert:

said by baineschile:

I don't think that would occur. It's my understanding that CDMA and EVDO are inherently more efficient than GSM/HSDPA. Additionally, you can roam on any CDMA/EVDO tower whereas AT&T (for the most part) has to go it alone. Verizon has the luxury of roaming among Alltel (now Verizon) and Sprint towers.

It's not like this is new to AT&T anyway. I performed a HUGE migration of worldwide users to a BlackBerry system and I had numerous people returning AT&T Blackberries because their service was awful.
I really can't disagree since I don't have a very good understanding of the technologies.

But it's something we'd have to wait to see.. 2010.. maybe.

swintec
Premium Member
join:2003-12-19
Alfred, ME

swintec to Matt3

Premium Member

to Matt3
said by Matt3:

Verizon has the luxury of roaming among Alltel (now Verizon) and Sprint towers.
As far as I know, Sprint and Verizon do not have 3G data roaming agreements. When Verizon lit up there 3G network here earlier this year, I was perplexed as to why my Sprint phone was still stuck with the old data speeds when roaming. I asked on the Sprint users forums and was told there is no roaming agreement for 3G between the two carriers.

FFH5
Premium Member
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ

3 edits

FFH5

Premium Member

said by swintec:

As far as I know, Sprint and Verizon do not have 3G data roaming agreements.
They do:

»www.engadgetmobile.com/2 ··· n-style/

»en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sp ··· reements

P.S. I have roamed on 3G in my area. Was it on Verizon? I can only assume that is the case given the dominance of Verizon EVDO in my area.

jmn1207
Premium Member
join:2000-07-19
Sterling, VA

jmn1207

Premium Member

It's a bit confusing for me to try and keep up with, but this is generally how I believe Sprint's roaming agreements work with regards to Verizon.

On my BlackBerry Curve with Sprint, I only show "1XEV" when I am connected to Sprint PCS, and when I roam off Sprint PCS, I only see "1X" maximum.

According to my BlackBerry manual:

D = text only (maybe voice)
1x = voice/text only
1X = slow data
1XEV = fast data

I seem to recall that the roaming agreement with Verizon allows for the Sprint Powervision stuff to work when roaming. This includes their TV and radio stuff, but it would not include general web surfing or downloads/uploads.

The exception would be with Alltel, which is technically Verizon now, but there was already a 3G data roaming agreement in place which Verizon honored after the Alltel acquisition.

Time
Premium Member
join:2003-07-05
Irvine, CA

1 edit

Time to Robert

Premium Member

to Robert
said by Robert:

said by baineschile:

Sprint would cripple under the pressure too. Considering this is a company that's bleeding millions of customers, and I'm assuming the Pre hasn't made much of a difference, I find this test to be complete hooey. What people on this site fail to realize is that AT&T is 3 or 4 networks that were essentially smacked into one. They have work to do - but at least they aren't bleeding customers like Sprint.
sides14
join:2007-11-29
Peoria, AZ

sides14 to Matt3

to Matt3
How do you purpose getting faster data speeds via a 1.25 MHz channel versus a 5 MHz channel? Not possible. Any carrier would buckle under a massive influx of high speed devices.
wierdo
join:2001-02-16
Miami, FL

wierdo to Matt3

to Matt3
said by Matt3:

I don't think that would occur. It's my understanding that CDMA and EVDO are inherently more efficient than GSM/HSDPA.
Per MHz, HSDPA is more efficient than EV-DO (even Rev.A). EDGE can do 2.3Mbps per MHz under ideal conditions on a single sector (with frequency reuse, more like 384Kbps per sector), but has terrible latency and a limit of about 300Kbps per device under ideal conditions. There are network limitations that reduce speed further, but a data only EDGE network could actually be quite fast.

HSDPA as currently deployed by at&t does a maximum theoretical speed of 7.2Mbps per 5MHz or 1.44Mbps/MHz or 2.88Mbps/MHz if they deploy the HSDPA 14.4 upgrade.

EV-DO Rev.A has a maximum theoretical spectral efficiency in a data only of about 2.5Mbps/MHz, although that fails to take into account the significant penalty for having to have a separate 1.25MHz channel dedicated to voice and 1xRTT data.

So HSDPA and EV-DO are pretty close in theoretical spectral efficiency, with HSDPA enjoying the advantage on fully upgraded networks. (There are a few around the world, FWIW) Both are significantly better than EDGE when the reuse factor is taken into account.
« I would expect betterATT 3g »
This is a sub-selection from Surprised?