iansltx

join:2007-02-19
Austin, TX
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·Verizon Online DSL

No Dallas? Low Sprint?

Interesting that there were no results in the table from Texas. Nothing from DFW, Houston, San Antonio, Austin, El Paso...even though I'm pretty sure all three carriers route traffic through Dallas on some of their tests (most likely the Denver one).

As for Sprint, I'm in Florida for vacation and speed tests tend to hit 1200/300 most of the time. AT&T was also good last I checked (last summer) down here...1200 kbps down, 500-700 kbps up. Then again, I'm not in a full-on metro market.

The upload and reliability numbers on AT&T were expected though...I like the upload speed on ATT HSPA but the connection isn't the most solid I've used. Sprint and Verizon, as I expected, were quite reliable connection-wise.

Who's gonna bet that Verizon uses the PCWorld study to back up their "nation's most reliable 3G network" claim?

Lastly, I wonder what modems were used in the tests. The Sprint download numbers seem a bit low. I can outdo 'em on my HTC Touch Pro on WMWiFiROuter, and it isn't even an MBB card

rradina

join:2000-08-08
Chesterfield, MO
Click on the "testing approach" link in the article. It discusses the modems they used. They claim they used the latest recommended by each provider.

iansltx

join:2007-02-19
Austin, TX
kudos:2
Thanks for making me read the article. Looks like the test results are legit. WOuldn't expect anything less from PCW though