join:2007-07-23
Leander, TX
reply to me1212

Re: I think this is great news

Why do you prefer LTE?

me1212

join:2008-11-20
Pleasant Hill, MO
It can do 100/50 with 10ms ping, an ISP in Sweden is doing so with LTE, wimax can only do like 70/I forget. Wimax may cost less than LTE, but LTE is IMO better. I would subscribe to ether right now if it has no cap as right now there all I can get is a 512/128 from the local WISP.

flyingjoey

join:2005-11-07
Jersey City, NJ
If you really think you're going to see a 100/50 in this country I want some of whatever you're smoking.

People talk about LTE like you can go to the store and pick it up. LTE AIN'T here yet. WiMax although limited... But it is already here, you can buy the freaken modems. But anyway...

phoneboy3

@shawcable.net
reply to me1212
LTE and WiMAX are very similar standards capable of very similar speeds. You should educate yourself more.

Samsonian

join:2007-06-15
reply to me1212
said by me1212:

It can do 100/50 with 10ms ping, an ISP in Sweden is doing so with LTE, wimax can only do like 70/I forget. Wimax may cost less than LTE, but LTE is IMO better. I would subscribe to ether right now if it has no cap as right now there all I can get is a 512/128 from the local WISP.
That's not quite right.

Mobile WiMAX and LTE are probably 80-90% the same from a technical standpoint, their main differences are in business models.

Regarding the definition of "4G", you're correct in that it doesn't meet the true definition of 4G. But no standard currently does, both Mobile WiMAX version 1 (based on IEEE 802.16e) and LTE version 1 (3GPP release 8) are considered 3.9G or more ideally "Proto 4G", as they are both on the 4G track.

Mobile WiMAX version 2 (based on IEEE 802.16m) and LTE version 2, called LTE Advanced (3GPP Release 10), are under development right now and will be backwards compatible with their respective standards. Both expected to be submitted to the International Telecommunication Union (ITU) Radiocommunication Sector (ITU-R) for inclusion in IMT Advanced, which is considered true 4G (100 Mb/s mobile, 1000 Mb/s stationary).

Also theoretical speeds or lab speeds don't really mean much in practice, especially if they're using a massive amount of spectrum and backhaul to get their big numbers. It doesn't happen in practice like that. We've seen this before from telcos, with their previous and current marketing for 3G.

All else being equal, both standards will offer similar performance. In practice though, WiMAX providers generally have more spectrum, which make a big difference (case in point: AT&T's network problems). Clearwire has a lot of spectrum, over 100 MHz in major markets, and a lot of experience with wireless Ethernet backhaul. Clearwire should be able to offer more speed and actually deliver on it.

Clearwire has commercially deployed Mobile WiMAX. It's here now, you can buy a device for around $50 and hop on their network, and it's rapidly expanding over the next few years. Intel is working hard to get WiMAX in every laptop, just like they did with WiFi and other standards like USB. I don't see that happening with LTE as it exists now, as it's a telco controlled standard.

The whole standard war might be end up being moot in the long run. The standards are so similar, there will likely be devices that support both. There were also attempts to unify WiMAX and LTE a year or 2 ago, but obviously they didn't bear fruit. I suspect it has to do with the telcos not wanting to give up control. That doesn't mean they still can't be combined in the future. Hopefully by the third or fourth version of WiMAX and LTE, we can have a single wireless WAN standard.

me1212

join:2008-11-20
Pleasant Hill, MO

1 edit
"Hopefully by the third or fourth version of WiMAX and LTE, we can have a single wireless WAN standard."

That would be cool.

"which is considered true 4G (100 Mb/s mobile, 1000 Mb/s stationary)."

1000m(1g) fixed? Wow, that would be so cool to actually use.