Search similar:

uniqs

yaplej
Premium Member
join:2001-02-10
White City, OR

yaplej

Premium Member

Getting Putty terminal to work with HPUX.

Hey all,

I am trying to get Putty to work with out HPUX box. It seems to work fine for just text, but our users login, and get an application prompt that is more "graphical" in the sense it has menus, prompts, and such. These are not working well with Putty, and I have not been able to figure out what gives.

In Putty I have tried about every "keyboard" Function keys and keypad setting available, and still cannot navigate the menu. The menu does display, but it cannot be navigated using the arrow keys like normal. If it helps NetTerm works out of the box so perhaps its something Putty just does not support.

Just wondering if anyone here might have a clue, or where I could start looking.

Thanks.
pablo
MVM
join:2003-06-23

pablo

MVM

Howdy,

Putty emulates an xterm. Are you sure you have your Unix login's TERM variable set accordingly?

Cheers!

greEd3
join:2001-05-28
Odenton, MD

greEd3 to yaplej

to yaplej
Under Terminal -> Features

Have you tried "Disable application keypad mode"?

yaplej
Premium Member
join:2001-02-10
White City, OR

yaplej

Premium Member

Just tried that without any change.
yaplej

yaplej to pablo

Premium Member

to pablo
I am not sure they are set correctly. Just that NetTerm works correctly, and putty does not. I have also tried TeraTerm Pro, and have not been able to get it to work correctly either.

nixen
Rockin' the Boxen
Premium Member
join:2002-10-04
Alexandria, VA

nixen to yaplej

Premium Member

to yaplej
Render issues are generally related to what termcap entry your host tries to use to talk to your terminal software. You might try to see if there's a "custom" termcap you can install. I've only rarely used PuTTY with HP/UX. I don't require any specific issues that didn't work out with the use of the XTERM termcap and some "stty" defines.

nwrickert
Mod
join:2004-09-04
Geneva, IL

nwrickert to yaplej

Mod

to yaplej
You could experiment with setting TERM=vt100
in your environment. If that helps, then you can put something in your shell profile to automate that.
pablo
MVM
join:2003-06-23

pablo to yaplej

MVM

to yaplej
If you're not sure whether it's set correctly, that may be the source of your problem. Try nwrickert's experiment and also try with TERM=xterm

koitsu
MVM
join:2002-07-16
Mountain View, CA
Humax BGW320-500

2 edits

koitsu to yaplej

MVM

to yaplej
Does HPUX have termcap or terminfo definitions for xterm? Are they accurate?

One workaround I've heard of is to try export TERM=dtterm. I've seen this done on Solaris, and it "works mostly", but I've also seen line wrapping problems and other oddities (again, because it's not xterm).

DO NOT use vt100 like someone else recommended. xterm != vt100. Some escape sequences are the same, but many (I repeat: MANY) are not. You'll end up with gobbledegook for output. PuTTY emulates xterm, not vt100. If you want a vt100 emulator, try SecureCRT.

Otherwise, I'd recommend getting the official xterm termcap from the xterm site; you don't need to build the xterm binary, just pull the termcap entry out of the documentation (it's in there somewhere). You can also try the putty terminfo/termcap definition, but I've tried it and it doesn't work that well (funny that, eh?)

If HPUX uses terminfo, you'll need to build a terminfo db based off of a terminfo description for xterm. That's probably also in the official tarball somewhere. Or you can try Eric Raymond's page. You'll probably need to use tic(1) to compile such. I make no guarantees if HPUX's tic understands all of the terminfo definitions.

You can do all of this per-account (well, at least on Solaris/BSD/Linux; I assume HPUX offers similar capability) by doing something like export TERMINFO=$HOME/.terminfo, then placing the terminfo directory structure generated into there (you'll have a file/path like .terminfo/x/xterm, for example). I had to do this for some of our Solaris machines at work, since the stock Solaris xterm definition didn't have 256-colour capability (only 16; the 256 capability is an extension).

Hope this helps.