Tell me more x
, there is a new speed test available. Give it a try, leave feedback!
dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc

spacer

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

rfluegge

join:2009-06-22
75056-4419

Convert from ATT DSL to U-verse

I have ATT DSL here in The Colony, TX. I am considering converting to U-verse because of all of the recent problems with the DSL I have been having.

Some co-workers have gone to U-verse and are pleased; however, before I convert I am wanting to find out if I can keep my email addresses ... I have my email addresses at a whole bunch of places that I would prefer not having to change.

My current addresses are all ...@swbell.net

Would I be able to keep them? I was not able to find it in a search of the U-verse site ... probably missed it, but would appreciate either a reply or a link to the answer.

Thanks ....

gdm
Premium,MVM
join:2001-06-15
Mchenry, IL
kudos:3
Yes you can keep your existing email address. When setup is done and you go to create your account it will ask if you have an existing ID.

mmay149q
Premium
join:2009-03-05
Dallas, TX
kudos:48
reply to rfluegge
Yes you can keep your swbell e-mail addresses, it's a simple port process while the tech is setting up and registering you for your internet on the U-Verse side, and all you have to do is use your master account 1st, and then it will populate all the sub-accounts, just make sure you have all the passwords for them so that it's not a lengthy call to Tier 2 to have your passwords changed.

Also if you're getting the U-Verse TV service with internet then please make sure prior to the techs arrival to have all wall jacks clear of anything in the way for the tech to get to it and replace the drops (if needed) and he/she has access to them to hook up any of the STB's, it's actually not in the job description for the tech to move any of your stuff at home, so he/she will ask you to move it before they work there.

Also make sure you have a clear path for the tech to get to the NID (the box on the outside of your house where your phone line comes in) and things like that and the install should go really smooth and pretty quick.

Another good hint is that to make sure you already have all splitters (that you know of) available for the tech to get too and find so that he/she can set it up quickly and replace the splitters that need to be replaced as he/she is working.

That's about everything I know to cover for an install, but I do work with U-Verse, I'm a part of the Tier II Technical Support group, and if you have any further U-Verse questions please feel free to ask me!

Thanks, Matt

U-Verse Tier II Technical Support.
--
I'm an AT&T Employee dedicated to phenomenal customer service! Don't believe me? Check out my kudos! »/profi ··· /1626573
»Welcome U-Verse Tier 2 Agents

rfluegge

join:2009-06-22
75056-4419
Okay ... thanks for the great info.

I have everything as you suggest ... all jacks are clear, etc.

I am converting from AT&T DSL which I have had for years and it has been rock solid up until June 2nd or so. The problems appear to be in The Colony Central Office.

So, will I have the same problems with U-verse or is it different hardware from U-verse CO to my house?

Thanks...

mmay149q
Premium
join:2009-03-05
Dallas, TX
kudos:48
said by rfluegge:

Okay ... thanks for the great info.

I have everything as you suggest ... all jacks are clear, etc.

I am converting from AT&T DSL which I have had for years and it has been rock solid up until June 2nd or so. The problems appear to be in The Colony Central Office.

So, will I have the same problems with U-verse or is it different hardware from U-verse CO to my house?

Thanks...
Different hardware, and should be a separate network as well, so you shouldn't be having the same problems.

Thanks, Matt

U-Verse Tier II Technical Support.
--
I'm an AT&T Employee dedicated to phenomenal customer service! Don't believe me? Check out my kudos! »/profi ··· /1626573
»Welcome U-Verse Tier 2 Agents

apeface

join:2000-09-16
Mckinney, TX
kudos:3

1 edit
reply to rfluegge
It is a separate network for all video traffic and mostly separate for internet.