Tell me more x
, there is a new speed test available. Give it a try, leave feedback!
dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc

spacer

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

wiki131wiki

join:2008-08-26
NJ

Lower Bill

How could I lower my bill? I have four boxes at $5.99 each. There is $17.36 in taxes. I have the $99.99 a month plan.

- Verizon Freedom Essentials $29.01
- FiOS Internet 20/5 $30.99
- FiOS TV Extreme HD $39.99

Cablevision offered me $29.95 a month for three services (total of $89.85) for two years and said that they will pay the $200 cancellation fee from Verizon.

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium
join:2001-01-02
Forest Grove, OR
kudos:4
»Renewal Deal?

KenAF

join:2006-01-23
Arlington, VA

2 edits
Where is your HDTV STB? I don't see any obvious way to lower your bill if you need all four STBs.

Taxes on Cablevision should be comparable, percentage wise, so you're looking at a $10/mo difference ($99.99 vs $89.95) for phone, Internet, and TV.

How many STBs does Cablevision offer? What Internet tier does Cablevision include for that price?

keyboards

join:2001-02-14
Doylestown, PA
reply to wiki131wiki
It wpuldn't save much but you could replace some or all of your standard boxes with digital adapters (DCT-700) which are $3.99 a month.

Keep in mind that the DCT-700 does not have a guide, no VOD, and no widgets (in other words nothing IP based).
--
REMEMBER: Stupidity should be painful !!

Korro

join:2008-03-15
Pittsburgh, PA
reply to wiki131wiki
you could purchase two additional remotes from Verizon. send back two boxes. Then use only two boxes to run 4 tvs. But you will need a RF device for both boxes in order for this to work. RF devices cost you 35 each and the remotes from Verizon are 14 with shipping. Long range it will pay short range no.

»www.amazon.com/Next-Generation-R ··· 9&sr=8-2

wiki131wiki

join:2008-08-26
NJ
reply to wiki131wiki
If I lower my internet speed how much would that save?

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium
join:2001-01-02
Forest Grove, OR
kudos:4

1 edit

1 recommendation

Looking at current pricing, I don't believe that going to a slower tier will lower your prices since Verizon has pretty much raised prices across the boards (as well as speeds so old lower tiers probably arent' available anymore) Start here »www22.verizon.com/residential/bu ··· undlesab , fill out your info, and see what's available.

Vamp9190
Premium
join:2002-02-11
Chantilly, VA
kudos:1

1 edit
reply to wiki131wiki
First off, how much are you trying to save?

If it is $10 then that is one thing, but if it is $50 then that is totally different.

Do you absolutely need the phone?

You can get rid of that number, cancel the phone and get a VOIP line (like Vonage, etc.) for $25/mo. or less. There is also a chance you can 'port' the number and keep it, but that is harder to do sometimes.

Then get a cheaper double play bundle. Plus get rid of 1 or 2 STB if you can deal with that.

aaronwt
Premium
join:2004-11-07
Woodbridge, VA
reply to wiki131wiki
You don't get as much of a discount with the double play. The only reason I dropped my landline was because I already had cell service. If I had dropped it, just to pay $25 for VOIP, my savings would have only been around $3 because of the lower double play discount.

Vamp9190
Premium
join:2002-02-11
Chantilly, VA
kudos:1
Yeah, true, but I think that the taxes on the phone line are 5-10 more. So if you cut out the phone and can get a double play saving $5, then you may save another 5 in taxes, plus if he gets rid of 1 STB and uses a DCT instead of another, that will add up to around $20 less total (counting having a VOIP line).

OP -- you may want to call VZ and say that you are thinking about cancelling your phone. I did that and they offered me $10 off per month on the spot (I still cancelled since I never used that number, and went back to a double play).

rmckofke

join:2001-05-15
Staten Island, NY
reply to wiki131wiki
didnt they offer you a bundle discount on those boxes? I have a total of 6 boxes (1 hd dvr, 5 SD STBs) and three of them are part of a bundled discount, the other 2 are 5.99 each. I forget the actual amount but I think the bundle knocks 2 or 3 bucks off each box.

Maybe consider replacing one of yours with a simple digital adapter?

keyboards

join:2001-02-14
Doylestown, PA
said by rmckofke:

didnt they offer you a bundle discount on those boxes? I have a total of 6 boxes (1 hd dvr, 5 SD STBs) and three of them are part of a bundled discount, the other 2 are 5.99 each. I forget the actual amount but I think the bundle knocks 2 or 3 bucks off each box.

Maybe consider replacing one of yours with a simple digital adapter?
I think that 3 for was only in NY region, not across the footprint.

I already suggested the digital adapter (4th post in this thread).
--
REMEMBER: Stupidity should be painful !!

aaronwt
Premium
join:2004-11-07
Woodbridge, VA
reply to Vamp9190
said by Vamp9190:

Yeah, true, but I think that the taxes on the phone line are 5-10 more. So if you cut out the phone and can get a double play saving $5, then you may save another 5 in taxes, plus if he gets rid of 1 STB and uses a DCT instead of another, that will add up to around $20 less total (counting having a VOIP line).

OP -- you may want to call VZ and say that you are thinking about cancelling

your phone. I did that and they offered me $10 off per month on the spot (I still cancelled since I never used that number, and went back to a double play).
Yes, I forgot about the taxes, mine were over $11 a month.

emk

@verizon.net
reply to wiki131wiki
Call and tell them you hate the service and want to leave. They'll throw in $30 off a month for 6 months