spc
Search similar:

uniqs
bradleym
join:2002-08-05
Peoria, IL

bradleym

IMAP support?

Does Mediacom support IMAP yet? I found a few old posts on here by searching but they're all from 2+ years ago.
threexk
join:2009-01-13

threexk

As of August 2007, they only supported POP. I really wish they had IMAP.

To deal with the lack of IMAP, I am paying $24/yr. for an IMAP account from www.tuffmail.com. It checks my Mediacom POP account every few minutes and pulls in any new e-mails. I use Mediacom's mail server for outgoing. So, everything looks as if I am using my Mediacom account; the only difference is there's some delay on receiving e-mails and it costs.

You can probably do this sort of thing with Gmail, but I don't like Gmail for several reasons. (Slowness of using Web-based interface, control of data, reliability, etc.)
bradleym
join:2002-08-05
Peoria, IL

bradleym

Thanks for the info

claydean
join:2003-04-22
Ankeny, IA

claydean

Mediacom supports IMAP with their higher end business class packages.
»mediacomcable.com/Busine ··· ine.html
postmortem
join:2006-04-28
Cedar Rapids, IA

postmortem to threexk

to threexk
well Gmail has IMAP support, so does HoTMaiL, and both can pull other POP3 accounts.

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
TP-Link TD-8616
Asus RT-AC66U B1
Netgear FR114P

NormanS

MVM

said by postmortem:

well Gmail has IMAP support, so does HoTMaiL, and both can pull other POP3 accounts.
Hotmail (it hasn't been, 'HoTMaiL' since Microsoft bought them in 1997) currently has POP3 support, and HTTPMail support. The latter is similar to IMAP, but not the same thing. Requires a proprietary MS client, such as Outlook Express, or Windows Live Mail, or the Outlook Connector plug-in to Outlook in order to function. MSOE (and a Thunderbird add-on) use an HTTPMail protocol called, "WebDAV", but MSN is going to pull the plug on WebDAV in September, 2009. Windows Live Mail, and the Outlook Connector use an HTTPMail protocol called, "DeltaSync", which will continue in place past this coming September.

In any case, using IMAP with Hotmail is not possible now, nor ever was possible since the Microsoft purchase. I can't find documentary proof that it was ever available.

Also, subsequent to the Microsoft purchase, the name changed from, "HoTMaiL", to, "MSN Hotmail". It is currently promoted as, "Windows Live Hotmail".