spc
Search similar:

uniqs
Galactus1
join:2009-07-03
Smock, PA

Galactus1

Upgrading from dial-up?

Since last September I have been fighting with Verizon to bring some form of broadband to our area. Specifically one that can handle Xbox Live and WoW. I also tried Atlantic Broadband who isn't even a mile away from our house. Naturally, neither company has done anything yet. I called Verizon in April to see if anything was updated the woman
I talked to said that FIOS would be available very soon in our area. Here it is July and it looks like no work has even been attempted. So I was wondering does anyone out there know what I can do to get some form of high speed internet to my house? Something that can handle Xbox Live or WoW. The address is 583 Croftcheck Road zip 15480 Fayette County, Pennsylvania the town I'm listed under is either Franklin or Smock

Littlem129
Premium Member
join:2007-05-13
White Pine, TN

Littlem129

Premium Member

You can check out HughesNet, they have satllite high speed. I put in your zip code and the service is available in your area starting at $59.99 a month. It's not cheap, but it is an alternative.

»go.gethughesnet.com/index.cfm

Click on plans & pricing, then enter your zip code and it will show you what is available in your area.

tschmidt
MVM
join:2000-11-12
Milford, NH

tschmidt to Galactus1

MVM

to Galactus1
Welcome to BBR.

Is there a Wireless ISP in your area?

Do you have CableTV in your town? Do they offer Internet access?

/tom
Galactus1
Smock, PA

Galactus1

I'm not sure about the wireless ISP, I've been told that Wireless and Satellite can't function any gaming platform such as Live or WoW. Our address is in Smock, and down the road from us is Atlantic Broadband in another area called Flatwoods. Verizon also does business in that area as well. Also the town that is Smock everyone has Verizon there. We live maybe 3 or 4 miles from the actual town of Smock. Our "County Supervisors" promised us FIOS within this year. When we call Verizon they essentially say the same thing. My stepsister who lives with us is the County Zoning Planner she says the same thing too. Yet she does nothing to improve this situation.

Kyle xD
@dialinfree.com

Kyle xD to Galactus1

Anon

to Galactus1
Don't get Satellite internet if you want to play games
Only thing possible if you want to play games and don't have cable/dsl would be wireless or ISDN(which is pretty freaken expensive )
Galactus1
Smock, PA

Galactus1

Who would be the best and how much? How often does it fail when operating?

tschmidt
MVM
join:2000-11-12
Milford, NH
·Consolidated Com..
·Republic Wireless
·Hollis Hosting

tschmidt

MVM

ISDN is very reliable yielding a 128 kbps symmetric connection. You can save a little by moving your phone to ISDN. ISDN is smart enough to automatically switch between data lines and one when phone is in use. You need to also find a dialup ISP that allow bonding both channels and has local POP access numbers.

Check out the ISDN forum if you have more questions.
»ISDN

There is a data version called IDSL. Uses ISDN signally but is data only it provides 144 kbps symmetric. Need to check out local Broadband ISPs to see if they support it.

As others have posted Sat has very high latency due to geosynchronous orbit. WISP latency should be much less, just modem processing. Best bet is to contact local WISP and ask.

/tom

DarkSol64
join:2005-06-26

DarkSol64 to Galactus1

to Galactus1
don't even CONSIDER getting sat

even if it was a 1 Gbps connection it would be useless, because once you click something it takes at least 2 seconds to get a response. imagine playing your favorite game and every single action you make delays by 2 seconds. its impossible, its useless, NEVER consider it unless you want to get locked into it and waste a thousand or so!

r81984
Fair and Balanced
Premium Member
join:2001-11-14
Katy, TX

r81984 to Galactus1

Premium Member

to Galactus1
What about cell phone internet?