spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

pokeydsl

join:2002-10-11

Keep sbcglobal.net or att.net email address after DSL cancel

I'm told I can keep my sbc/att email address for free after I cancel my DSL. Here's a copy of my chat. Should I believe this? This is ATT talkin after all!

System Connected with Tessa
Tessa Thank you for contacting AT&T Internet Services. How may I help you?
You Im trying to find a web reference that says my sbcglobal.net email address will convert to free service after I cancel my dsl. True? Can you show me a ref in writing. TIA
Tessa We value you as our member, and I assure you that I will try my best to resolve your issue.
You great!!!
Tessa Now you will be able to use your email address forever even after cancellation of your services.
You Im trying to find a web reference that says my sbcglobal.net email address will convert to free service after I cancel my dsl. True? Can you show me a ref in writing. TIA
Tessa You can use the chat session as the web reference and I assure you that your email ID will work forever.
You so there's nothing in writing other than this?
Tessa Yes
You thank you bye
Anyone ever do this?

d_l
Barsoom
Premium,MVM
join:2002-12-08
Reno, NV
kudos:7
That's not true about forever. The email address stays alive for at least 30 days and maybe as much as 60 days or more. So it doesn't shut down right when your DSL shuts off, but it will shut down eventually.

If you wish to retain the email account forever, you would have to pay for a dial up account.

pokeydsl

join:2002-10-11
but I got this same response from *2* different chat reps. Could this be a new (and kinder) ATT policy?

d_l
Barsoom
Premium,MVM
Reno, NV
reply to pokeydsl
Possibly, but if it is new, this is the first we have heard about it.

Frohike
Premium
join:2000-07-23
Waxahachie, TX
kudos:4
reply to pokeydsl
Yes this is true. As long as the account is not disconnected for a payment issue then the account will become a free account. It has to be an email that that can be accessed at the AT&T powered by Yahoo web portal (att.yahoo.com).

Email that is accessed via my.att.net does not apply to this.

Logan 5
Enjoying the Cataclysm
Premium,MVM
join:2001-05-25
Austin, TX
reply to pokeydsl
Nor would (I presume) any legacy email address work either like

@pacbell.net
@swbell.net
@NVbell.com

Etc....

I think the key is in your post title "Keep SBCGLOBAL.NET or ATT.NET email addresses after DSL cancel".

I interpret that chat transcript as meaning that as long as you have a current email address that ends with either ATT.NET or SBCGLOBAL.NET then you probably can keep it. I doubt the rest of us will be as lucky....

Frohike
Premium
Waxahachie, TX
reply to pokeydsl
It will apply to those ONLY if they were migrated to AT&T powered by YAhoo portal . Meaning you can access them at att.yahoo.com.

If they are only accessible at my.att.net then it doesn't apply.

US Flyer

@sbcglobal.net
reply to pokeydsl
I can tell you what happened to me as I have actually did disconnect my phone/dsl service from ATT. All email addresses still worked for at least 8 months. All POP forwarding still worked with ALL yahoo/SBCglobal addresses. The only thing that changed was the photo Flickr site...it downgraded to a basic subscription. Eight months later I resigned up for ATT service and just used my previous email address (sbcglobal.net)

tetujin28g

join:2004-02-10
Los Altos, CA
reply to pokeydsl
Here is what I got:

You: I heard from a friend that he only got to keep his email for 60 days. Has there been a recent policy change?
Kaden: Yes policy has been changed since march 09.
Kaden: now users can retain their ids forever.

Logan 5
Enjoying the Cataclysm
Premium,MVM
Austin, TX
reply to Frohike
said by Frohike:

Yes this is true. As long as the account is not disconnected for a payment issue then the account will become a free account. It has to be an email that that can be accessed at the AT&T powered by Yahoo web portal (att.yahoo.com).

Email that is accessed via my.att.net does not apply to this.
I want to be crystal clear about something so apologies if this seems obtuse.

Will an email address ending in @pacbell.net be able to be kept? I've had it for so long (11 years now) I wouldn't know how to check it to be certain or where to go on yahoo's site as I've always accessed it as a POP3 setup in Outlook or Windows Live Mail not from a web browser going to yahoo.com.

Thanks in advance for the clarification....

--
There are 3 sides to every discussion: Mine, Yours & The Truth.
Check out the Dungeon Runners Site & Forums!
Download & play the game for free!

Sandpipers

join:2007-11-12
San Francisco, CA
reply to pokeydsl
Just go to yahoo and click on "sign in" or "mail." Enter your full email address including the pacbell.net part and your password. It will either work, or it won't and you'll have your answer.

Logan 5
Enjoying the Cataclysm
Premium,MVM
Austin, TX
reply to pokeydsl
ty.... it works

tetujin28g

join:2004-02-10
Los Altos, CA
reply to pokeydsl
The answer is "NO" according to this from ATT Customer "Care" ATT_1WI@att.com:

After canceling your High Speed Internet service, you will receive complimentary Dial service for 60 days, which includes full access to your AT&T Internet account. If you attempt to log into the Yahoo! network (att.yahoo.com) using your Yahoo! ID and password after 60 days, you will be given the option to create a new Yahoo! ID and transfer your AT&T Internet Member ID's data and preferences to it. After 100 days, the data and preferences from your AT&T Internet Member ID will be deleted.

If I can be of any further assistance, please reply directly to this email or call me direct at 1-800-848-4158 x6884

Logan 5
Enjoying the Cataclysm
Premium,MVM
Austin, TX
reply to pokeydsl
Ok... This is getting crazy....

Typical AT&T, giving multiple different answers to the same question....

How hard is it to get a straight answer?

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
Premium,MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
kudos:12

1 recommendation

Big company with multiple divisions. Probably impossible to get a "straight" answer.
--
Norman
~Oh Lord, why have you come
~To Konnyu, with the Lion and the Drum

Logan 5
Enjoying the Cataclysm
Premium,MVM
Austin, TX
said by NormanS:

Big company with multiple divisions. Probably impossible to get a "straight" answer.
True so who then to believe?

d_l
Barsoom
Premium,MVM
Reno, NV
If policy has changed recently (recently is relative term), it is probably impossible to get the word out to all individuals at all levels, even those that need to know/should know of the change, in a huge company.

Chances are that the email account will be retained past the 60 days; however, it is retained through Yahoo. How much do you trust Yahoo? Think about all the features once offered by Yahoo that have been terminated. Think about the notorious reliability of Yahoo's mail handling!

unoriginal
Premium
join:2000-07-12
San Diego, CA
It will cost a few bucks but I think the easiest thing to do is get your own domain name. Hand that out to your contacts and tell them that it is your permanent new email address. That way you won't have to worry about whether it will work or not once you kill off the dsl line.

wayjac
Premium,MVM
join:2001-12-22
Indy
kudos:1

1 recommendation

reply to Logan 5
said by Logan 5:

True so who then to believe?
I believe what Frohike See Profile posted....
I would never consider info given by a csr on the phone as fact until it can be corroborated

Frohike
Premium
Waxahachie, TX
reply to pokeydsl
I stand by my answer.

Logan 5
Enjoying the Cataclysm
Premium,MVM
Austin, TX
said by Frohike:

I stand by my answer.
Then that's good enough for me....

Thank you Frohike See Profile

John_E
Premium
join:2004-02-03
Florissant, MO
reply to Frohike
Does this include sub account addresses or just the main account address?

Frohike
Premium
Waxahachie, TX
reply to pokeydsl
I'm checking on this for you John.

anne

@cox.net
reply to pokeydsl
Dear Frohike,
You wrote that "an email that can be accessed at the AT&T powered by Yahoo web portal (att.yahoo.com)" will remain active. My folks can log into their sbcglobal.net email by going to yahoo.com and typing in their sbcglobal address. Will their email remain active? ... they discontinued their DSL account a few weeks ago and went with cable. So far, their email is active. Thanks!!

Frohike
Premium
Waxahachie, TX
reply to pokeydsl
Anne,

After 60 days of the disconnect, it should turn into a free email service. If it doesn't please let me know and I'll look at it.

anne

@cox.net
Is there anyone who can confirm that it will become a free account, maybe someone/someplace at Yahoo or sbcglobal? If it doesn't turn into a free service, they'll lose some important emails, and they'll be upset and confused. I've thought about setting up a free account for them and forwarding emails to it. The thought of forwarding dozens, or possibly hundreds, of individual emails is what started a search for answers at blogs like this.
Thanks again!

tonydi
Premium,MVM
join:2001-05-11
San Jose, CA
Anne, Frohike See Profile works for AT&T, which is why he can look at your account if there's a problem.

guest1111111

@pacbell.net
reply to pokeydsl
I would really like to know if my @sbcglobal.net account will be deleted after 30 days, or if it will extend forever. From a chat with a representative, they said yes, but with a call to the HSI people, they said no.

I really don't know the straight real answer, as I own a Shell Gas Station and all my Shell related email go to my @sbcglobal.net (wish I had known before...)

Logan 5
Enjoying the Cataclysm
Premium,MVM
Austin, TX

3 edits
Ok, either you have not read any of the posts directly above yours or you are trolling (hence the anon posting) but the answer to your question is:

YES

said by tonydi:

Frohike See Profile works for AT&T
Since he's already directly replied YES to your same question that another poster's already asked (Working at a gas station has nothing to do with anything & wont affect the changeover from paid to free as long as your account can be accessed through the yahoo/AT&T portal as mentioned above) , plus he works for AT&T, so I'd believe him over a Tier I Support person from India 100% of the time....no offense to Tier I or Indians intended.. They just simply don't know all the new changes coming as well as whats just been implemented here in the States....

Call it a "failure to communicate" between the various departments/divisions within AT&T if it has to be labeled, but the gist of it is that while eventually they will all be on the same page, for right now, trust the techs that post in this forum before them....

Frohike See Profile & David See Profile are good people to get straight answers from about what they know as opposed to just about anyone, anywhere else in AT&T..

Edit: to correct spelling and grammar

Frohike
Premium
Waxahachie, TX
reply to John_E
said by John_E:

Does this include sub account addresses or just the main account address?
John, I'm still waiting on an official answer to this, but from what I've seen of previous free email accounts - it looks like the subs are included. But still waiting on my email to be answered. =)

And Anne,

Again, it should turn into a free email account 60 days after its been disconnected. As long as it wasn't disconnected for a payment issue, violating policy or the Terms of Service. Only applies to emails accessible via AT&T Yahoo Portal (att.yahoo.com).

Emails accessed via my.att.net are not eligible.

As far as you getting different answers when you call in, I do apologize. The information is there for the Reps if they just look for it.