Search similar:

uniqs
SteveKore
join:2010-05-19

SteveKore to pokeydsl

to pokeydsl

Re: Keep sbcglobal.net or att.net email address after DSL cancel

Hi,

After reading all 7 pages of posts, I'm still confused as to exactly what will transpire when I cancel my AT&T DSL.

I currently have an sbcglobal.net email address which I access through the Powered by Yahoo Mail portal. So, if I believe Frohike, I should not lose my xxxxx@sbcglobal.net email address when I cancel the service. However, I have spoken to three different ATT Internet Services reps and they have all told me I will definitely lose the email address. In fact, I was told there is no 30 or 60 day grace period and it's possible it could be turned off as early as the next day.

One particular rep was adamant that I would lose the email. She said she's dealt with this before and that the only reason some people can still access their email months after cancellation is because of a "glitch in the system."

She also added that they hold the email address for 60 days in case we decide to come back to ATT. However, during those 60 days we don't have access to the email address. After the 60 days are up, our email address is then available for someone else (although I'm not sure why anyone would want an sbcglobal.net address).

So, here I sit with a dilemma. I really want to switch to internet with Verizon, my cable provider, because it's twice as fast. However, I've had my sbcglobal.net address for over 6 years and I'm in the middle of searching for a job. It would be a nightmare to change to a new email address right now.

Can anybody share any new info on this? Perhaps what happened to your email address when you dropped ATT.

Logan 5
What a long strange trip its been
Premium Member
join:2001-05-25
San Francisco, CA

3 edits

Logan 5

Premium Member

said by SteveKore:

Hi,

After reading all 7 pages of posts, I'm still confused as to exactly what will transpire when I cancel my AT&T DSL.

I currently have an sbcglobal.net email address which I access through the Powered by Yahoo Mail portal. So, if I believe Frohike, I should not lose my xxxxx@sbcglobal.net email address when I cancel the service. However, I have spoken to three different ATT Internet Services reps and they have all told me I will definitely lose the email address. In fact, I was told there is no 30 or 60 day grace period and it's possible it could be turned off as early as the next day.

One particular rep was adamant that I would lose the email. She said she's dealt with this before and that the only reason some people can still access their email months after cancellation is because of a "glitch in the system."

She also added that they hold the email address for 60 days in case we decide to come back to ATT. However, during those 60 days we don't have access to the email address. After the 60 days are up, our email address is then available for someone else (although I'm not sure why anyone would want an sbcglobal.net address).

So, here I sit with a dilemma. I really want to switch to internet with Verizon, my cable provider, because it's twice as fast. However, I've had my sbcglobal.net address for over 6 years and I'm in the middle of searching for a job. It would be a nightmare to change to a new email address right now.

Can anybody share any new info on this? Perhaps what happened to your email address when you dropped ATT.
Please go back and look at any of my posts and you will see that it is really very simple.

Never ever beleive what a level one rep tells you.... you can with a 1000% certainty believe what Frohike7 See Profile tells you above any call center rep as he is at as higher level of Tech Support then they are...

If what you say she said actually happened, she totally tried to feed you a line of utterly inaccurate B.S.

As long as your account has not been terminated for non-payment or for violating AT&T's Terms of Service or AUP, AND you can access your account with your AT&T email address and password at att.yahoo.com or sbc.yahoo.com (they both redirect to: att.my.yahoo.com) then you will be able to keep your email address....FOREVER...

There are a few situations where you will not be able to keep the email address (Go back and re-read some of the earlier posts to see what they are) without needing to pay for and keep a dialup account but those are exceptions and not the rule....

If you still don't understand after reading this, then I'm afraid no amount of explanation is going to help....

EDIT: And FYI... I switched from AT&T DSL to Comcast Cable back in February and I can *still* access my @pacbell.net email address through yahoo that I've had for 12 years....

nwrickert
Mod
join:2004-09-04
Geneva, IL

nwrickert to SteveKore

Mod

to SteveKore
said by SteveKore:

So, if I believe Frohike, ...
As far as I know, Frohike7 See Profile works for AT&T and is pretty knowledgable about these things.

Note: I do not work for AT&T, nor do I have any inside information. I'm just a customer.
merle
Premium Member
join:2010-05-13
Modesto, CA

2 edits

merle to pokeydsl

Premium Member

to pokeydsl
Frohike7 See Profile is correct. You are allowed (at least for now) to keep your ATT Yahoo id as long as your dsl/dialup service was disconnected in good standing and nothing odd happened to the account. This has actually been available since late 2008.

The confusion may arise from the NAP accounts, those accessible from »my.att.net, not being kept alive. These ids are not affiliated with yahoo and will not have the option of a free account. DSL NAP accounts allow you access to the email account for 60 days before the id is terminated. Dial-up accounts on NAP are supposed to be terminated immediately with no email access.

If you speak to someone in sales or billing their information hasn't been updated yet(despite it being almost 2 years) so they will say the id will go away. I've heard some tier one agents say the same. Both are apparently out of the loop on this issue.

Support for free ids is limited to the link below

»support.att.com/freememberid
SteveKore

SteveKore to Logan 5

to Logan 5
said by Logan 5:

If you still don't understand after reading this, then I'm afraid no amount of explanation is going to help....
Dude, was that little jab really necessary? Really?

I'd like to thank nwrickert and merle for their input. The reason I posted was because I had read this entire thread and decided a little confirmation couldn't hurt. And, like I said, I had called AT&T on three different occasions and was told all three times I would lose my address - possibly as soon as the next day.

Thanks again,

Steve

Logan 5
Premium Member
San Francisco, CA

2 edits

Logan 5

Premium Member

said by SteveKore:

Dude, was that little jab really necessary? Really?
You even admitted as much that instead of reading through 7 pages of posts, you wanted a direct answer to your question which happened to be the SAME question asked and answered again and again in the preceding 7 pages.
said by SteveKore :
After reading all 7 pages of posts, I'm still confused as to exactly what will transpire when I cancel my AT&T DSL
So.. were you really confused or did you just want to skip all the reading to get the same answer one more time for confirmation that it's the correct one...?

All the answers that anyone could need for any situation (so far) are in this thread, they may just take a little time to find considering this thread's been alive for almost a year...

You have to realize that repeating the same answers over and over and over and over again to people who for whatever reason either do not want to see that the answer to their question is directly in front of them or understand that this is THE place to get accurate AT&T information b/c of their techs that post here, that it gets more then a little old and after almost a year it can become incredibly frustrating so don't take it personally. Hopefully next time you'll research the issue a bit more before asking a question that had already been asked & answered several times in various ways...

Did you ever check to see if you could sign in at »att.my.yahoo.com/ with your sbcglobal email address and password?

ed. for spelling..
SteveKore

SteveKore

Logan,

You really don't know when to shut the hell up. You've already posted 31 times on this board, isn't that enough. Is this how you get off? Belittling people on message boards?

If you had read my first message thoroughly you would know why I posted (Hint - it had to do with calling AT&T multiple times).

Remember this line from my original post,

"Can anybody share any new info on this? Perhaps what happened to your email address when you dropped ATT."

In case you're unsure, this was a helpful comment:

"I switched from AT&T DSL to Comcast Cable back in February and I can *still* access my @pacbell.net email address through yahoo that I've had for 12 years...."

This was not:

No need to reply. I think 31 posts in enough...

Logan 5
Premium Member
San Francisco, CA

1 edit

Logan 5

Premium Member

Steve.... 2x now you've avoided a direct question and instead chose to focus on something that doesn't have any relevance to your issue. This is just goes to show that you are very selective in what you choose to read or respond to (or not).

I'll ask you again:

Can you or can you NOT sign in at att.my.yahoo.com with your sbcglobal email address and password?

Right now, nothing else either you or I say matters except for that...

If you can, you have your definitive answer that yes, you can keep it. If you can't sign in there you will need to go back and look through this thread for your answer..
Frohike7
Premium Member
join:2000-07-23
Waxahachie, TX

2 edits

Frohike7 to SteveKore

Premium Member

to SteveKore
To alleviate your doubts - I can assure you there are no glitches. The old system use to be 60 days and the email would suspend. But in 2008 changes were made and email no longer suspends after 60 days.

Yahoo doesn't want to lose you as a customer so the email stays open as a free account through webmail only.

Meaning if you use outlook, thunderbird, live mail etc etc, that will stop working.

Let me apologize for all the times you called in and were told conflicting information. But rest assured as long as Yahoo offers free email, yours will stay free as well.

This should be added as well: Since your leaving ATT as a customer and still using that email - any problems you run into using that email will have to be addressed to Yahoo and not by calling us. AT&T Tech support is only available to paying customers.
bbear2
Premium Member
join:2003-10-06
dot.earth

bbear2 to Logan 5

Premium Member

to Logan 5
I am able to sign in to my.yahoo; and mail.yahoo with sbcglobal - hope that helps.
SteveKore

1 edit

SteveKore

Frohike,

Thank you very, very much for your reply. I'll probably eventually be transitioning over to Gmail but for now it's good to know, with certainty, I'm safe.

As for Logan, you, my friend, are a total douche. Seriously. I asked you not to reply to my post again but you couldn't resist. At this point, the only thing that would satisfy me would be to punch you in your pompous face.

Now to answer your question for the 2nd time, here is what I wrote in my original post:

"I currently have an sbcglobal.net email address which I access through the Powered by Yahoo Mail portal. So, if I believe Frohike, I should not lose my xxxxx@sbcglobal.net email address when I cancel the service."

Logan, I know you will reply again. You won't be able to sleep tonight unless you get the last insult...
ted_b
join:2003-12-19
Westlake, OH

1 edit

ted_b to pokeydsl

to pokeydsl
Thanks SO much to Frohike and the others for this great informative (and somewhat long ) thread.

U-verse is within our neighborhood but nowhere near our section for the foreseeable future. My DSL speed is killing me, so I need to go cable.

So, my wife and I have lived our last 10+ yrs with xxx@ameritech.net email addys, both of which are quite accessible via Yahoo web mail portal so we are good to go (away from DSL). Thanks for that confidence. However, can anyone help me with the process of either staying Outlook or at least saving my existing email folders (not worried about my inbox folder, but my wife's is ridiculous). I'd be willing to pay Yahoo a monthly/yearly fee to stay POP3 and remain in Outlook (Is it as simple as spending $20/yr x2 to get Yahoo Mail Plus for each of our two addresses then changing the mail servers in Outlook's account settings?)

If the above scenario doesn't work and we are forced to use Webmail only (which is unworkable for the long-term daily use) is there a migration philosophy you guys use, like a forwarding email auto-reply or something, so when my email contacts send me something to my old ameritech.net addy it says "Ted has moved his email to xxx@domain.com. Please add this to your contact info" or something?

Net/net, I am keeping ATT as my landline phone provider (and have 5 wireless numbers with them too) and would really like to keep my old email/Outlook setup (with Yahoo's help) but if this is unworkable I need some help saving all my old folder sh$t. Thx
Ted

Logan 5
Premium Member
San Francisco, CA

2 edits

Logan 5

Premium Member

said by ted_b:

can anyone help me with the process of either staying Outlook or at least saving my existing email folders (not worried about my inbox folder, but my wife's is ridiculous). I'd be willing to pay Yahoo a monthly/yearly fee to stay POP3 and remain in Outlook (Is it as simple as spending $20/yr x2 to get Yahoo Mail Plus for each of our two addresses then changing the mail servers in Outlook's account settings?)
Hi Ted:

From what I understand, once you leave AT&T you lose the POP3 capabilities that you enjoyed with them. However, there is an application called YPOPS that attempts to bridge the gap between yahoo and people who use Outlook and similar email clients.

Unfortunately AT&T techs are not able to assist you with that end of it because that is a yahoo, not an AT&T issue but look at the link below and maybe this will meet your needs...

»ypopsemail.com/

Configuring compatible email clients: »ypopsemail.com/documenta ··· guration

Outlook 2003 setup: »ypopsemail.com/documenta ··· ook-2003

Good luck! & please keep us updated...
ted_b
join:2003-12-19
Westlake, OH

ted_b

I guess I thought that Yahoo Mail Plus would do this (POP3 capability). I think I will give it a try before cancelling DSL; i.e pay Yahoo the $20 for the experiment, and see if I can go into Outlook and change my mail servers to the Yahoo Plus options...and see if mail continues to arrive via xxxx@ameritech.net

I'll report back.
ted_b

ted_b

Works like a charm. Paid my $20 and made a couple simple incoming/outgoing Outlook mail server changes, and voila...I have ameritech.net email working as if I was tethered to ATT. Since u-verse ain't here yet it's now time to get WOW cable (current tv provider) and Time Warner to battle for my biz.

Logan 5
Premium Member
San Francisco, CA

Logan 5 to pokeydsl

Premium Member

to pokeydsl
@ ted_b:

Great to hear that yahoo's mail plus worked for you! It's always good to get the followup stories so that way when others find this thread and read through it, they will quickly and easily find their answer and not have to be worried or upset for nothing...

Thanks for sharing!
JumunjiJOJO
join:2010-06-08

JumunjiJOJO to pokeydsl

to pokeydsl
I am trying to transition a customer from AT&T to Comcast Business Class and they are VERY worried about even a .001% change of losing their @bellsouth.net email address. They have had the email address for many years and it is used to communicate with thousands of customers and vendors. It is also used in all of their advertising, including an expensive phone book ad that can only be changed once per year and it was just printed this month.

They are able to check their email via the yahoo portal. I understand that if that is true and if they cancel in good standing, that they will keep their email through the free yahoo portal indefinitely.

However, I'm sure glitches and mistakes can happen. Under what circumstances can their email still be deactivated? What recourse would the customer have to get the email address reactivated if that should occur?

Also, is there is any way to see the email policies in writing? I was able to get an online rep to verify that they could keep the address, but the customer wants something more official from AT&T. I've sent the customer a link to this thread, but she is still not ready to cancel her service since so many AT&T reps have emphatically said that her email will stop functioning.

They are willing to pay $25/month for dialup just to make sure they are 110% sure that they won't lose the address, but AT&T support is telling them that they can no longer move a @bellsouth.net email address to a dialup account. All new dialup accounts have to have @att.net addresses. I believe that is incorrect from preveious posts, but thought I would double check in case anything has changed recently.

I would greatly appreciate any input from the AT&T employees that have been posting.

Thanks!
Frohike7
Premium Member
Waxahachie, TX

Frohike7 to pokeydsl

Premium Member

to pokeydsl
What state did they have the DSL service?
bbear2
Premium Member
join:2003-10-06
dot.earth

bbear2 to JumunjiJOJO

Premium Member

to JumunjiJOJO
Yahoo mail plus? Like TedB did.
JumunjiJOJO
join:2010-06-08

1 edit

JumunjiJOJO to Frohike7

to Frohike7
Alabama - Heart of Dixie! I noticed this was the "West" forum but this seemed to be the best thread on the subject.

I found the Yahoo/AT&T Terms and conditions that state what happens if AT&T or Yahoo terminates your service(terminates it after 60 days), but they did not lay out what happens to the email address upon voluntary service termination.

»info.yahoo.com/legal/us/ ··· rms/all/
Frohike7
Premium Member
Waxahachie, TX

Frohike7 to pokeydsl

Premium Member

to pokeydsl
Well, I am tech support for all regions except for Bellsouth so I can't really say what will happen to email on Bellsouth DSL.

Since its on the yahoo portal the same courtesy extended to ATT DSL might be extended to Bellsouth DSL customers. But I can't gaurantee it. You might want to post in the Southeast forum and see if any of their users might have some knowledge to offer.

wtf
@sbcglobal.net

wtf to pokeydsl

Anon

to pokeydsl
wtf
craigceg
join:2004-01-19
Danbury, CT

craigceg to Frohike7

to Frohike7
I understand that in order to retain pop access to my SNET.net email address I can do so by purchasing Yahoo Mail Plus for $19.95 per year if the address has been migrated.

My question is about sub accounts. Does the $19.95 charge cover any sub accounts as well, or is there a $19.95 charge for each sub account?

I have two DSL accounts with 10 sub accounts for each for a total of 20 email addresses that I want pop access to when I cancel my AT&T service.

Thank you and the other techs who are here to answer questions. This is an excellent website that I have used for years.
Frohike7
Premium Member
Waxahachie, TX

Frohike7 to pokeydsl

Premium Member

to pokeydsl
You would have to ask Yahoo. We have no idea here at AT&T what Yahoo's product would cover.

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
TP-Link TD-8616
Asus RT-AC66U B1
Netgear FR114P

NormanS to craigceg

MVM

to craigceg
said by craigceg:

My question is about sub accounts. Does the $19.95 charge cover any sub accounts as well, or is there a $19.95 charge for each sub account?
I know little about either. However, Yahoo! Mail does not offer sub accounts on their non-partnered services. I'd be surprised if a single $19.95 a year fee would cover multiple email accounts.

But you should ask Yahoo! to be certain.
craigceg
join:2004-01-19
Danbury, CT

craigceg

Thank you both for your replies.

I agree with Norman, I too would be surprised if one fee covered all the sub accounts.

All 20 of the email accounts can log in directly to www.yahoo.com so I know the migration is complete.

How does one contact Yahoo?

Thank you again for your replies.
geonap
lolatidiots
join:2005-12-14
Los Angeles, CA

geonap to pokeydsl

to pokeydsl
Frohike, may be a bit redundant but does it matter if it's a business dsl account or residential ?

thank you

block
@telepacific.net

block to pokeydsl

Anon

to pokeydsl
I just off the telephone with Joe at ATT (Representative Number jg942S), his supervisor is David Calamari, who told me that we would lose our e:mail addresses after 60 days. I told him about what was said by others on this blog about being able to keep your e:mail forever and Joe told me that they were wrong. That is why he gave me his rep number and supervisor's name and asked me to see if the people who work at ATT and claim to know differently are also willing to give their rep number and supervisor's name to show that what they are saying is true.

I don't mean to be a pain about this, but I would appreciate some additional assurance that we get to keep our e:mail addresses forever. Yes, we access our e:mail through yahoo so we should be able to keep our addresses forever if the people on this blog are correct.

Thank you.
Frohike7
Premium Member
Waxahachie, TX

Frohike7 to pokeydsl

Premium Member

to pokeydsl
Geonap: Business or residential - there is no difference.

And Block: I do apologize that you were mistold. I just sent David the information showing our policy.

Also you can even signup for an email address at att.net/signup - free email like gmail, yahoo, hotmail etc etc.

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
TP-Link TD-8616
Asus RT-AC66U B1
Netgear FR114P

NormanS

MVM

said by Frohike7:

Also you can even signup for an email address at att.net/signup - free email like gmail, yahoo, hotmail etc etc.
Holy Moly! I just did for grins and giggles.