Premium
join:2000-07-23
Waxahachie, TX
kudos:4
reply to wayjac

Re: Keep sbcglobal.net or att.net email address after DSL cancel

said by wayjac:

said by nwrickert:

But from this distance, it sure looks as if AT&T is handing over control of the email passwords to Yahoo, while still retaining control of the PPPoE passwords.
The web sites used to reset both passwords look like they have no yahoo connection

For me this is just another attempt by at&t to reduce support calls for simple user errors
Well tech support is there for customers that pay for internet service. Free email just has the website help, like yahoo and gmail tech support.

cghh

join:2001-01-15
Milpitas, CA

1 edit
So sub-accounts (say, under pacbell.net) will all become unrelated free yahoo accounts? Can you pay the Plus fee on each to get POP access?

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
Premium,MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
kudos:12
Yes.

hottboiinnc
ME

join:2003-10-15
Cleveland, OH
reply to pokeydsl
if you tie the @pacbell.net email address to an @yahoo.com address then YES you should be able to keep the address forever as i have. I have one that is @sbcglobal.net and have had it for a minm. of 4 years now.
--
www.twopugsbrand.com Kosher, Vegan, and Organic Certified Dog and Cat treats/foods and other products! www.etsy.com/shop/snakx4u/ Organic, Kosher, Gluten Free, Vegan Human Baked Goods

Sue T

@snet.net
reply to pokeydsl
Hi - Wow, I've read all of the posts and truthfully, I've lost track of what happens if your service was disconnected due to nonpayment (had to pay rent first, it's been a tough summer). All of my email accounts were transferred to the yahoo portal previously. So for me to access any email, I go to att.yahoo.com and log in, or I pull the email in on my computer. In this case, how long will I have my accounts? One of these email accounts (my business account) I've had for 13 years. Just trying to figure things out... ATT wants some crazy amount of a deposit to reconnect on top of the bill. Not sure how long it will take to pull that all together. I telecommute for all my jobs, so I really have to figure something out, re: an internet connection. Spot On is offered in my building and if I'd still have access to my email accounts, at least it would be a temporary solution until I can get things squared away with ATT.

Thanks,

Sue T.

ricocheted

join:2001-09-06
reply to pokeydsl
I just terminated a dsl account. (Well, technically, it was a "move").

Anyway, I received a postcard from ATT basically saying my accounts will work forever. There were no special requirements mentioned about which portals, tying att domain addresses to a yahoo.com account, etc.

I know this is a long and convoluted thread, but the postcard suggests it is very simple. It simply says they will not cancel and can be accessed.

MarkInNC

@clearwire-wmx.net
reply to pokeydsl
I don't think you need Yahoo Plus. Use these settings:

Incoming (POP): pop.att.yahoo.com
Outgoing (SMTP): smtp.att.yahoo.com
username: full email address
Incoming mail port: 995, SSL
Outgoing port: 465, SSL

works for ameritech.net, att.net, bellsouth.net, flash.net, nvbell.net, pacbell.net, prodigy.net, sbcglobal.net, snet.net, swbell.net, wans.net

»www.att.com/esupport/article.jsp···KB401570

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
Premium,MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
kudos:12
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC
said by MarkInNC :

I don't think you need Yahoo Plus.
As long as you are a paying customer of AT&T, you can use those settings. Once you cancel service, your accounts will convert to "free" Yahoo! Mail accounts. You might be able to continue with POP/SMTP access after that happens, or might not. Depends upon whether, or how soon, Yahoo! catches up to the fact that your accounts are no longer paid AT&T accounts. Frankly, I wouldn't count on continuing POP/SMTP access after the conversion.
--
Norman
~Oh Lord, why have you come
~To Konnyu, with the Lion and the Drum

joseguerra1

@pacbell.net
reply to pokeydsl
for many years i used sbcglobal.net i like to keep sbcglobal.net for family reasons i dont have pass word

IehtnDSLR

join:2010-09-07
reply to pokeydsl
I have been paying for dial-up for a while now so I was wondering, does this also apply to canceled dial-up service? I am assuming so but, like everyone else, I am worried about potentially loosing the e-mail and the address and I did not see this specifically answered in the thread.

My plan would be to do what ted_b did and pay for Yahoo Plus before canceling the dial-up account.

dando

@comcast.net
reply to pokeydsl
I was just disconnected from ATT after switching to comcast about 60 days ago. I was told, to keep the service, I would have to pay a fee for the mail.

Frohike
Premium
join:2000-07-23
Waxahachie, TX
kudos:4

1 edit
reply to IehtnDSLR
said by IehtnDSLR:

I have been paying for dial-up for a while now so I was wondering, does this also apply to canceled dial-up service? I am assuming so but, like everyone else, I am worried about potentially loosing the e-mail and the address and I did not see this specifically answered in the thread.

My plan would be to do what ted_b did and pay for Yahoo Plus before canceling the dial-up account.
Yes it apples to canceled dialup service.

said by dando :

I was just disconnected from ATT after switching to comcast about 60 days ago. I was told, to keep the service, I would have to pay a fee for the mail.
Do not have to pay for it. As long as you can access your email at mail.yahoo.com and the account was disconnected voluntarily (wasn't disconnected for billing reason or ToS violation), it will turn in to a free email service.

Keep in mind - you run into any problems with the email service after you cancel - tech support is only limited to web-based support. Free phone support will not be available.

IehtnDSLR

reply to pokeydsl
Thank Frohike,

I already paid for Yahoo Plus and now I need to cancel the dial up. I am sure that it will work but I will report back, when it is done, to confirm with others who might still be skeptical.

I really like my AddressGuard feature and I did not want to lose it.

maarmstr

@smurfit.com
reply to pokeydsl
said by pokeydsl:

I would like to know what number to call to speak to a rep who can help me. I have spoken to tech support, billing, wireless, Connect Tech, connection, alas, I keep getting different anwers . When I do get a rep that states that it is possible to keep the pacbell.net address, they don't (can't) do it themselves, but direct me to another department that has no idea what I am talking about. Please if anyone has a number other than 800 288 2020 please let me know. If there is a specific department I need to contact that would also be helpful.

jackie s

@verizon.net
reply to Frohike
I'm in the same situation....Long standing att.net email address with 2 sub addresses all of which have been migrated to att.yahoo.com.

I have been paying $7.95 per month and want to cancel this and instead pay for Yahoo Mail Plus for $20 per year so I can continue POP. BUT I'M AFRAID.

I just hung up with David at Yahoo (1 866 562 7219). He said he is 100% sure I will have to change my email address to yahoo.com if I quit paying ATT $7.95 and join yahoo plus to continue POP.

IehtnDSLR

reply to pokeydsl
jackie s,

Hold out for two more months if you want. I paid the $20.00 for Yahoo plus on my sub account and then canceled my ATT Internet. After what could potentially be a 60 day grace period my plan is to post what happens for everyone benefit.

Although I see no reason that Frohike has to deceive anyone so I am going to believe that it will continue. Not to mention that the thread has been going for a year now with multiple success stories.

Also, I contacted ted_b, see page 8, on 9/7/2010, that's what 4 months after his post and he said that everything was working fine. Here is his reply

Hi. Yes, all went well with this, and also for my wife's email (which, yes,
was a sub account). It required me going to Yahoo Plus ($20-ish per year
for each) so I could continue to use Outlook. I was very concerned cuz I've
had the ameritech.net email account for many years and didn't wan to lose
it. All is well.

IehtnDSLR

reply to pokeydsl
maarmstr,

From what I gather, on this thread, if your can go to www.yahoo.com click on mail and log in using your credentials then your e-mail address will convert to a free account and remain in tact. If you can not do this then the e-mail address will be lost.

Try here. This is where I log in.
»login.yahoo.com/config/login_ver···&.src=ym

Gwailo

join:2000-07-16
Richardson, TX
Ran across this long one by accident. Would someone go take a look at this thread »Stuck in "do loop" Trying to Sign on sbcglobal.net Webmail I did on the AT&T forum a few days ago and give me an input here? Seems like this subject has been discussed at great length here.

I did not mention on the AT&T Southwest post I disconnected the DSL because I'm working in China for a couple of years.

But in terms of "keeping it or losing it," I got the following email from AT&T for my master account as well as all sub-accounts - only thing I changed below was my user name:

--------------------

Important information about your AT&T email accounts
Dear xxxxxxx@sbcglobal.net,

We are sorry that you’ve chosen to cancel your AT&T Internet access service. We hope that you will keep AT&T in mind in the future for your Internet needs.

We also want to let you know that you can still keep your AT&T email account(s) — even after you’ve disconnected your AT&T Internet service subscription.

Our way of saying 'Thanks!'

To show our appreciation for your business, and as a convenience for you, AT&T has made your current email account and any subaccounts accessible via the free att.net portal. There is no charge to you and you can keep your email accounts for as long as you'd like.

We hope that you will continue to enjoy the many features and benefits available to you:
• Email. Stay in touch with the world using your
existing AT&T email address(es) and AT&T Yahoo!®
Instant Messenger. Keep your AT&T Webmail
content, address book, calendar, and more. All
your email IDs, settings, and sub accounts will
remain exactly the same.

• Great content. Stay entertained and informed —
from any Internet connection — with the latest
news, stocks, sports, weather, plus music,
entertainment, and gaming channels.

• Customizable home page. Create your own
space with personalization options and the