I stand by my answer.
Then that's good enough for me....

Thank you Frohike See Profile

John_E
Premium
join:2004-02-03
Florissant, MO
reply to Frohike

Does this include sub account addresses or just the main account address?

Frohike
Premium
join:2000-07-23
Waxahachie, TX
kudos:4
reply to pokeydsl

I'm checking on this for you John.

anne

@cox.net
reply to pokeydsl

Dear Frohike,
You wrote that "an email that can be accessed at the AT&T powered by Yahoo web portal (att.yahoo.com)" will remain active. My folks can log into their sbcglobal.net email by going to yahoo.com and typing in their sbcglobal address. Will their email remain active? ... they discontinued their DSL account a few weeks ago and went with cable. So far, their email is active. Thanks!!

Frohike
Premium
Waxahachie, TX
reply to pokeydsl

Anne,

After 60 days of the disconnect, it should turn into a free email service. If it doesn't please let me know and I'll look at it.

anne

@cox.net

Is there anyone who can confirm that it will become a free account, maybe someone/someplace at Yahoo or sbcglobal? If it doesn't turn into a free service, they'll lose some important emails, and they'll be upset and confused. I've thought about setting up a free account for them and forwarding emails to it. The thought of forwarding dozens, or possibly hundreds, of individual emails is what started a search for answers at blogs like this.
Thanks again!

tonydi
Premium,MVM
join:2001-05-11
San Jose, CA

Anne, Frohike See Profile works for AT&T, which is why he can look at your account if there's a problem.

guest1111111

@pacbell.net
reply to pokeydsl

I would really like to know if my @sbcglobal.net account will be deleted after 30 days, or if it will extend forever. From a chat with a representative, they said yes, but with a call to the HSI people, they said no.

I really don't know the straight real answer, as I own a Shell Gas Station and all my Shell related email go to my @sbcglobal.net (wish I had known before...)

Logan 5
Enjoying the Cataclysm
Premium,MVM
join:2001-05-25
Austin, TX
kudos:7

3 edits

Ok, either you have not read any of the posts directly above yours or you are trolling (hence the anon posting) but the answer to your question is:

YES

said by tonydi:

Frohike See Profile works for AT&T
Since he's already directly replied YES to your same question that another poster's already asked (Working at a gas station has nothing to do with anything & wont affect the changeover from paid to free as long as your account can be accessed through the yahoo/AT&T portal as mentioned above) , plus he works for AT&T, so I'd believe him over a Tier I Support person from India 100% of the time....no offense to Tier I or Indians intended.. They just simply don't know all the new changes coming as well as whats just been implemented here in the States....

Call it a "failure to communicate" between the various departments/divisions within AT&T if it has to be labeled, but the gist of it is that while eventually they will all be on the same page, for right now, trust the techs that post in this forum before them....

Frohike See Profile & David See Profile are good people to get straight answers from about what they know as opposed to just about anyone, anywhere else in AT&T..

Edit: to correct spelling and grammar

Frohike
Premium
Waxahachie, TX
reply to John_E

said by John_E:

Does this include sub account addresses or just the main account address?
John, I'm still waiting on an official answer to this, but from what I've seen of previous free email accounts - it looks like the subs are included. But still waiting on my email to be answered. =)

And Anne,

Again, it should turn into a free email account 60 days after its been disconnected. As long as it wasn't disconnected for a payment issue, violating policy or the Terms of Service. Only applies to emails accessible via AT&T Yahoo Portal (att.yahoo.com).

Emails accessed via my.att.net are not eligible.

As far as you getting different answers when you call in, I do apologize. The information is there for the Reps if they just look for it.

John_E
Premium
join:2004-02-03
Florissant, MO

Frohike, thanks for your efforts in researching this.

Lodger

@verizon.net

I thought I'd comment here.
I canceled my ATT DSL recently and am currently paying just to keep my e.mail address. I've had them for years.
After reading the above comments I called customer service. I just got off the phone. They were unequivocal that if i cancel the $7.95 monthly charge I would lose the addresses.
Sorry to hear that.

Logan 5
Enjoying the Cataclysm
Premium,MVM
Austin, TX

1 edit

said by Lodger :

I thought I'd comment here.
I canceled my ATT DSL recently and am currently paying just to keep my e.mail address. I've had them for years.
After reading the above comments I called customer service. I just got off the phone. They were unequivocal that if i cancel the $7.95 monthly charge I would lose the addresses.
Sorry to hear that.
It may be that you were told this because you are unable to access your email through the AT&T Yahoo Portal (att.yahoo.com). See if you can go there and if all your account(s) CAN be accessed, I'd ask for a supervisor to determine if you are getting accurate information or not.

You'll need to enter your complete ATT email address: whatever@someattdomain.com plus your AT&T password.

If they CANNOT be accessed through the portal then yes, they are correct and you'd lose them if you stop paying for them.

Lodger

@verizon.net
reply to pokeydsl

Logan,
Thanks for the info. You seem to be correct. I cannot access my email addresses using the Yahoo portal. I guess I really don't understand the distinction between att.net and att.yahoo.com.
Sadly, after all these years, it looks like I'll have to change addresses.

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
Premium,MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
kudos:11
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC

said by Lodger :

I guess I really don't understand the distinction between att.net and att.yahoo.com.
Different ownership. Remember, AT&T neither owns Yahoo!, or is owned by Yahoo!. AT&T trades stock as, "T", Yahoo! trades stock as "YHOO".

att.net:
Registrant:

AT&T Corp.
   Bridgewater, NJ 08807
   US

Domain Name: ATT.NET

att.yahoo.com:
Registrant: 

Yahoo! Inc. 
   Sunnyvale CA 94089 
   US 

Domain Name: yahoo.com

The name, 'att.yahoo.com' is a "third level" to the 'yahoo.com' domain. Because of a business agreement between "T" and "YHOO", "T" has given "YHOO" permission to pre-pend the 'att.' to the 'yahoo.com' domain.

--
Norman
~Oh Lord, why have you come
~To Konnyu, with the Lion and the Drum
Expand your moderator at work

bryhemm

join:2005-08-16
Saint Louis, MO
reply to pokeydsl

Re: Keep sbcglobal.net or att.net email address after DSL cancel

If an @swbell.net email address is converted to a free account, that means it can no longer be access via POP3, right? If I wanted to continue using POP3, could I use Yahoo's upgrade to Mail Plus to keep POP3 active?

Logan 5
Enjoying the Cataclysm
Premium,MVM
Austin, TX

1 edit

said by bryhemm:

If an @swbell.net email address is converted to a free account, that means it can no longer be access via POP3, right? If I wanted to continue using POP3, could I use Yahoo's upgrade to Mail Plus to keep POP3 active?
Correct, on both accounts. You don't get to keep accessing your account through AT&T's POP service w/o paying for it but you CAN possibly use the free tools available to yahoo users to get what you want..

guhuna
Premium
join:2001-03-31
Clayton, CA
reply to pokeydsl

A family member canceled her AT&T DSL a about two years ago and she still has an active sbcglobal.net address.

Logan 5
Enjoying the Cataclysm
Premium,MVM
Austin, TX

said by guhuna:

A family member canceled her AT&T DSL a about two years ago and she still has an active sbcglobal.net address.
And that's a "fall through the cracks" exception, not the normal rule so you can't count on that being the case every time....

Randy_E

join:2005-04-18
reply to pokeydsl

Hi all,

Trying to help out a friend, but I think ran into a major roadblock. She's had AT&T Worldnet dialup for ages, switched to their DSL service in recent months (still keeping the same address - ****@att.net), then recently (I'd estimate close to a month) to cable (for internet, phone, TV). By canceling her AT&T service, I'm guessing it "immediately" deactivated her AT&T email address? She once used Outlook Express (ran into issues with that), then accessed her email via the web. Don't know the exact site she used, but I can only assume: »webmail.att.net
Given her internet skills, she never migrated anything over to the AT&T/Yahoo setup. Not to be disrespectful, but she's getting up there in age, and her computer skills are not truly there. So it's tough for me to get the answers I need from her. I left my cables internet service for FIOS just over 3yrs ago, and my old address still continues to work. I see this may not be the same for former AT&T Worldnet customers who switch to another provider. I tried entering her ID/password in various ways (through the old login and Yahoo's), and it's no longer being accepted. So basically, it looks like all her recent email is gone. She recently set up another address (yahoo based), and now has trouble even accessing that. I built a perfectly running system for her recently, and that quickly went to mush. Sorry for my lengthy story, but felt I needed to air my thoughts on this AT&T matter.

Randy

NormanS
Premium,MVM
San Jose, CA
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC

1 edit

I don't think an AT&T Worldnet email address can be migrated. I helped a friend sign up for 'at&t Yahoo! HSI' from AT&T Worldnet dialup. She could not use the AT&T Worldnet email address to set up the 'at&t Yahoo! HSI' account. At the time I set that up, the only way was to sign up a new '@att.net' email address with 'at&t Yahoo! HSI', then call AT&T Worldnet Service billing and request a "Zero bill plan", giving them the DSL email address so they can effectively leave the Worldnet email address active without billing the customer. Something like that. So an AT&T Worldnet Service email address is never actually tied to a Yahoo! account.
--
Norman

Anon 101

@swbell.net
reply to pokeydsl

I am basing this on what was said earlier about keeping the email address *@sbcglobal.net after manually shutting down the account (not through lack of payment).

I would think it would be in SBC's best interest to allow one to keep using the email address (accessed through Yahoo's portal) because it is free advertisement for their company every time one sends out an email on that account and costs them nothing.

Having SBCGLobal in every message is priceless advertising even if folks are using it who no longer are customers.

It only makes sense to continue to allow the account, especially if Yahoo's servers ($$$) are driving the communication in exchange for the content (Advertisements) Yahoo packs around the system.

I hope to heck the information is correct because I have used this email address for years and we are going to cancel our SBC services shortly because of a relocation. (going to hawaii... heh heh heh -- but won't be able to afford all the services we currently receive after the move.)

Going to be living off of Raman noodles, Free Wifi where we can find it, and using our current cell phones for voice communications.

Logan 5
Enjoying the Cataclysm
Premium,MVM
Austin, TX

said by Anon 101 :

I am basing this on what was said earlier about keeping the email address *@sbcglobal.net after manually shutting down the account (not through lack of payment).

I would think it would be in SBC's best interest to allow one to keep using the email address (accessed through Yahoo's portal) because it is free advertisement for their company every time one sends out an email on that account and costs them nothing.

Having SBCGLobal in every message is priceless advertising even if folks are using it who no longer are customers.

It only makes sense to continue to allow the account, especially if Yahoo's servers ($$$) are driving the communication in exchange for the content (Advertisements) Yahoo packs around the system.

I hope to heck the information is correct because I have used this email address for years and we are going to cancel our SBC services shortly because of a relocation. (going to hawaii... heh heh heh -- but won't be able to afford all the services we currently receive after the move.)

Going to be living off of Raman noodles, Free Wifi where we can find it, and using our current cell phones for voice communications.
As I said before: IF you can access the account at att.yahoo.com you're ok, nothing more needs to be done, cancel your service and enjoy the (now) free account.

IF, you cannot access the account there, you will want to contact AT&T Customer Service to see what needs to be done to preserve it (such as paying for dialup access to keep it, etc...) and what your other options may be (if any).

Good luck!

ATT Tier1

@opera-mini.net

2 edits

Hi. My name is Erin and I am from the Tier 1 Tech Support Dept. I'm just checking out some things on the internet and saw this Forum Site. Thought maybe posting some infos I know regarding this matter will help. Well, on keeping your @whateverattdomain.com address you have after disconnecting the service, there is actually an option for you to change your email address to a free AT&T email account. After disconnecting DSL, your Dialup service will still be active (since the service you're paying for, even if it's a DryLoop Account or StandAlone internet service account comes up with dialup) for 60days. Now for 2months, you should be able to convert your sbcglobal address or any attdomain address to a free AT&T email account by signing up for it. How? Check out on the Member Facing Support Site. That's "http://helpme.att.net".

Expand your moderator at work

Logan 5
Enjoying the Cataclysm
Premium,MVM
Austin, TX

1 edit

1 recommendation

reply to pokeydsl

Re: Keep sbcglobal.net or att.net email address after DSL cancel

As a reminder AT&T Techs will NEVER ask you for your password or ask you to send information to a 3rd party non AT&T email address....

If the information you need doesn't come from David See Profile or Frohike See Profile directly then I'd be VERY careful of what you say to anonymous posters who say they work for AT&T..

DG

@sbcglobal.net
reply to pokeydsl

I have a question,

If I used to have a yahoo email account and later on I got at&t dsl and merge my old yahoo email with a sbcglobal.net e-mail if I cancel my dsl service will I lose my yahoo e-mail along with the merged sbc email account?

Thanks

NormanS
Premium,MVM
San Jose, CA
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC

No. It has been a couple of years since I deleted a 'pacbell.net' sub account; but there were options offered during the cancellation of the sub account which separated the 'yahoo.com' account from the canceled sub account. I still have that free 'yahoo.com' account years after canceling the 'pacbell.net' account.
--
Norman

kisser

join:2003-07-25
San Jose, CA

1 edit
reply to pokeydsl

I canceled my ATT DSL over 3 months ago.

Today, I logged in my main and sub email account. They are both still active. They are ending with @sbcglobal.net