Magnum2

join:2005-06-24
Sacramento, CA
reply to pokeydsl

Re: Keep sbcglobal.net or att.net email address after DSL cancel

Click for full size
downloadAT@T.pdf 157,253 bytes
AT&T Card
I had AT&T DSL service since 2002 and was issued an sbcglobal.net email address at that time. In February 2011 I discontinued AT&T DSL. Subsequently I received a card telling me that I can keep my AT&T email account and all sub-accounts associated for free and thanked me for my business. Further the card stated that I can access the email accounts through the att.net home page.

robertxyzat

@mycingular.net
reply to pokeydsl

sbcglobal.net

how do I retrieve addresses and emails since being shut out.
judy

wayjac
Premium,MVM
join:2001-12-22
Indy
kudos:1

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
Premium,MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
kudos:12
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC
reply to robertxyzat
Why were you "shut out"? If you leave AT&T with your account in good standing, then you get to keep your email addresses. It is that "good standing" caveat you need to consider.
--
Norman
~Oh Lord, why have you come
~To Konnyu, with the Lion and the Drum

Derrick579

@sbcglobal.net
reply to pokeydsl

Here is the link for AT&T's Terms Of Service effective May 2, 2011.

»www.att.com/esupport/article.jsp···Qka9lNUp

And what happens to my email when I cancel Service with AT&T? Is that changing?
We have changed our previous practice so that you will now be able to keep your email address even if you choose to disconnect your High Speed Internet Service with AT&T.

cghh

join:2001-01-15
Milpitas, CA
The above URL was session-specific and was only valid for you. Any idea what the "real" URL is?

wayjac
Premium,MVM
Indy
Here's a link to the info on that page
at&t high speed internet terms of service update

Robster

@pacbell.net
reply to pokeydsl
Does anyone know if the "disposable email address" feature still works after cancelling service?

My email is on the "pacbell.net" domain and I can access it via "mail.yahoo.com" so it sounds like I can keep my email addresses if I cancel. However, I have several disposable email addresses (ending in "yahoo.com") on my main and subaccounts and don't want to lose those as well. I believe these are offered to Yahoo Mail Plus customers (at $19.99/year), so curious if I would have to sign up for that to keep the disposable addresses or would I be able to use it for free?

NormanS
Premium,MVM
San Jose, CA
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC
said by Robster :

Does anyone know if the "disposable email address" feature still works after cancelling service?

I can't say for certain, having never actually canceled service. But I just tried on a free Yahoo! Web Mail account, in the 'att.net' domain. This account was never associated with an actual AT&T Yahoo! HSI account. And I was able to create a disposable address base name.
--
Norman

elkinm8

join:2001-10-03
Deerfield, IL
reply to pokeydsl
I just received a policy update from ATT.

• Introduction Revision: We have added email as a separate service because
we now offer customers without our high speed Internet service the ability to have
an att.net email.

Looks like they are officially allowing users to keep emails, however, I cannot find details about which domains will retain access. Further I cannot find any details regarding account features or POP3 access.

bbear2
Premium
join:2003-10-06
kudos:5
I suspect the POP3 will remain fee based for non-customers.

It also doesn't speak to the "disposable email addresses". I'm hoping someone who has real experience or knowledge about this can chime in.

NormanS
Premium,MVM
San Jose, CA
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC
Disposable email addresses are not available on my new, free Yahoo! Mail account in the 'att.net' domain, but seem to still be available on the older free Yahoo! Mail account ('yahoo.com') which was merged, then unmerged, from a 'pacbell.net' account.
--
Norman

lyndamont

@sbcglobal.net
so this is to say thanks to folks who posted
I used webmail (mail.yahoo.com) to access my@sbcglobal.net email.

I, like many, have 7 years of email that I don't want to lose.
and based on my reading - it looks like I should be okay - and I won't lose all that when I switch to cable-modem.

if I am wrong on this - I'd appreciate somebody letting me know.

mgullick

join:2001-03-24
Chico, CA
reply to pokeydsl
Holy cow! I'm amazed to read this thread. I've had a pacbell.net address since 2001 (back when I first found this site) but I'm sick of the horrible service I've been getting for the past few months. I signed up for Comcast Internet service and it's a huge improvement.

I had to fiddle around with email addresses since Comcast didn't have the same names available but finally came up with an acceptable primary address. However, I have a secondary address that I use for geocaching and have used since 2005. I can't get that name and really don't want to have to add numbers to the end of it to make it work. I can't get a free gmail account with the name because it's only 5 characters long and gmail insists on 6 or more.

If I'm able to (as seems to be verified in this thread) keep my old pacbell.net secondary address live I can do the happy dance. It sounds like I won't be able to access it as a POP3 account via Thunderbird but I can probably set up a forwarding filter so that anything sent to that address is forwarded to my new primary account with Comcast.

Replies would be a bit problematic as I'd have to either go to the stupid web portal (uggghhhhh) to reply or else have the replies come from the main account. Hmmmm.......

I'll have to check into this and see what can be done and how it works but I'm really very happy to have found this thread as it gives me hope that I can, in some way, continue to use my old 5 character email address that's been associated with my geocaching account for so long. It's nice to have an account that's simply my geocaching name @pacbell.net
--
Madness takes its toll. Please have exact change.

NormanS
Premium,MVM
San Jose, CA
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC
A Yahoo! Mail Plus account is only $19.99 a year, and gives you POP3/SMTP access. You should be able to sign up your continuing 'pacbell.net' address as a "Mail Plus" account.

Also, I suspect that you should be able to send through 'smtp.comcast.net' with your 'pacbell.net' email address. I don't think Comcast is so anal as to prohibit doing that.
--
Norman

CartDude

join:2003-06-22
Simi Valley, CA
reply to bbear2
Has anyone who cancelled service been able to continue using their existing disposable email addresses?

Or, can someone who cancelled and kept their yahoo based email acct (either "pacbell.net" or "sbcglobal.net") check and see if they have the ability to setup a new disposable address in Mail Options like NormanS reported?

NormanS
Premium,MVM
San Jose, CA
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC
I have a free 'yahoo.com' account which was once merged with a 'pacbell.net' account, then subsequently "unmerged". The account has reverted to a free Yahoo! Mail account, and disposable email addresses are not available.

I have a free Yahoo! Mail account in the 'att.net' domain. This account was never associated with any AT&T Yahoo! HSI account, just signed it up as I would a free Yahoo! Mail account. Disposable email addresses are available with this account.

I have not closed the AT&T Yahoo! HSI account, so I have no first hand experience with what would happen to those accounts.
--
Norman

unoriginal
Premium
join:2000-07-12
San Diego, CA
reply to mgullick
Why not get a personal domain for about $10/year and then use Google Apps for Your Domain to handle the email? Might be easier than trying to fiddle around and get a so-so address with Comcast instead.

mgullick

Chico, CA
reply to wayjac

Re: sbcglobal.net

I just canceled my AT&T DSL service. I also got the above postcard in the mail. The DSL is dead, dead, dead but I still have full use of my pacbell.net email accounts. I only wish I had known that before I deleted one of the email addresses that was linked to another account. I can't put it back because the site has changed the rules about email accounts and user names. Not really a big deal. What IS a big deal is that I do, in fact, get to keep the email addresses. There's one that's linked to my geocaching account that uses my geocaching name@pacbell.net. I can't get that name with comcast, gmail, etc. so, if I lost it with pacbell, I couldn't have an email account with my geocaching name on it. This way I get to keep the one I've had for 10 years or so. SWEET!!!
--

bbear2
Premium
join:2003-10-06
kudos:5
Thanks for letting us know the real life experience. Did you by chance create any disposable email address while your service was active? If so, are you still able to access them now? And if so on then, how?

mgullick

Chico, CA
I had never made any disposable addresses. However, your query made me curious so I went to the web mail page and logged in using my pacbell.net address. I then clicked on Options (upper right) and then on More Options. There is a link on the left side of the resultant page labeled accounts that shows me the several sub-accounts and also a link for disposable addresses and it appears that I am able to create a new disposable address. I don't know how it would work if you have already created a disposable address but, if so, you "may" be able to access it in that manner.
--

wayjac
Premium,MVM
Indy
Have you tried to use pop access

mgullick

Chico, CA
I never used the (ick) online mail except to check the spam folder as AT&T constantly put important mail into the spam folder there. Heck, they put mail FROM ME TO ME into the spam folder frequently. Bizarre.

I always POPed my email and used Thunderbird to retrieve the mail. That function is still working fine for me. I can still send via their SMTP server as well.
--

wayjac
Premium,MVM
Indy
said by mgullick:

I never used the (ick) online mail except to check the spam folder as AT&T constantly put important mail into the spam folder there. Heck, they put mail FROM ME TO ME into the spam folder frequently. Bizarre

You can use your email client to retrieve the contents of the spam folder

mgullick

Chico, CA
Yes but, in additions to filtering out "good" email it also filtered out a ton of penis enlargement mail and other stupid stuff I didn't want to retrieve. I could have it POP the spam folder as well and it would add on BULK to the subject. I could then create a simple filter to move all of that to a special folder. Somehow, I just never got around to doing that. My bad.
--

wayjac
Premium,MVM
Indy
Thanks for confirming that there is pop email after ending the at&t high speed internet service

mgullick

Chico, CA
I'm hoping it isn't tied to the 30 day courtesy extension of dialup access referenced on the post card. I guess I'll know when that period runs out. I'm guessing that the POP will continue to work when the dialup is gone but one can never be too certain when dealing with AT&T. If the POP does disappear (again, I don't think it will) I can still use the mail forwarding function to send the pacbell mail to another account. I tried that and it works fine.
--

wayjac
Premium,MVM
Indy
said by mgullick:

If the POP does disappear (again, I don't think it will) I can still use the mail forwarding function to send the pacbell mail to another account

You'll have your answer when the courtesy period is over

sundown060

join:2010-12-06
Columbus, OH
reply to pokeydsl

In my part of the country, the address I was assigned when I opened an ATT HSI account in 2003 was @ameritech.net . They were one of the local Bells. Not surprisingly, when I called earlier today about disconnecting DSL but wanting to keep the email, they said I would havta buy a dial-up account. I'd happily pay for Yahoo Mail Plus to keep that address and one sub-account, also ameritech.net . When I call back, can I ask them to refer to the new May, 2011 T.O.S. for clarification on the matter? Any other advice?

Thanks!

xstation20

join:2005-05-03
San Jose, CA
reply to pokeydsl
i subscribed to dsl back in 2001 and was given a @pacbell.net address.. canceled in 2007.. still to this day have access to the same @pacbell.net address.