Search similar:

uniqs

mgullick
join:2001-03-24
Chico, CA

mgullick to bbear2

to bbear2

Re: sbcglobal.net

I had never made any disposable addresses. However, your query made me curious so I went to the web mail page and logged in using my pacbell.net address. I then clicked on Options (upper right) and then on More Options. There is a link on the left side of the resultant page labeled accounts that shows me the several sub-accounts and also a link for disposable addresses and it appears that I am able to create a new disposable address. I don't know how it would work if you have already created a disposable address but, if so, you "may" be able to access it in that manner.

wayjac
MVM
join:2001-12-22
Indy

wayjac

MVM

Have you tried to use pop access

mgullick
Chico, CA

mgullick

I never used the (ick) online mail except to check the spam folder as AT&T constantly put important mail into the spam folder there. Heck, they put mail FROM ME TO ME into the spam folder frequently. Bizarre.

I always POPed my email and used Thunderbird to retrieve the mail. That function is still working fine for me. I can still send via their SMTP server as well.

wayjac
MVM
Indy

wayjac

MVM

said by mgullick:

I never used the (ick) online mail except to check the spam folder as AT&T constantly put important mail into the spam folder there. Heck, they put mail FROM ME TO ME into the spam folder frequently. Bizarre

You can use your email client to retrieve the contents of the spam folder

mgullick
Chico, CA

mgullick

Yes but, in additions to filtering out "good" email it also filtered out a ton of penis enlargement mail and other stupid stuff I didn't want to retrieve. I could have it POP the spam folder as well and it would add on BULK to the subject. I could then create a simple filter to move all of that to a special folder. Somehow, I just never got around to doing that. My bad.

wayjac
MVM
Indy

wayjac

MVM

Thanks for confirming that there is pop email after ending the at&t high speed internet service

mgullick
Chico, CA

mgullick

I'm hoping it isn't tied to the 30 day courtesy extension of dialup access referenced on the post card. I guess I'll know when that period runs out. I'm guessing that the POP will continue to work when the dialup is gone but one can never be too certain when dealing with AT&T. If the POP does disappear (again, I don't think it will) I can still use the mail forwarding function to send the pacbell mail to another account. I tried that and it works fine.

wayjac
MVM
Indy

wayjac

MVM

said by mgullick:

If the POP does disappear (again, I don't think it will) I can still use the mail forwarding function to send the pacbell mail to another account

You'll have your answer when the courtesy period is over
sundown060
join:2010-12-06
Columbus, OH

sundown060 to pokeydsl

to pokeydsl

Re: Keep sbcglobal.net or att.net email address after DSL cancel

In my part of the country, the address I was assigned when I opened an ATT HSI account in 2003 was @ameritech.net . They were one of the local Bells. Not surprisingly, when I called earlier today about disconnecting DSL but wanting to keep the email, they said I would havta buy a dial-up account. I'd happily pay for Yahoo Mail Plus to keep that address and one sub-account, also ameritech.net . When I call back, can I ask them to refer to the new May, 2011 T.O.S. for clarification on the matter? Any other advice?

Thanks!

xstation20
join:2005-05-03
San Jose, CA

xstation20 to pokeydsl

to pokeydsl
i subscribed to dsl back in 2001 and was given a @pacbell.net address.. canceled in 2007.. still to this day have access to the same @pacbell.net address.
route246
join:2010-03-29
Santa Clara, CA

route246

I also have a pacbell.net address which I forward. I suspect that this forwarding service will go away until I upgrade the account to yahoo premium, which I am perfectly willing to do.

Can you do me a favor and login to your yahoo account which has the pacbell.net address, go to "Options/Mail Options" and check "Account Information" and see what is there?

Currently, there is a section called "AT&T Account Settings" that has this:

AT&T Account SettingsGet AT&T support
.View Internet Billing Information
.Get att.net software and add-ons
.Manage AT&T account profile
.Add/Manage AT&T sub accounts
.Manage your AT&T aliases You have no aliases at this time
.View 800 Premium Usage
.Get 800 Premium Usage
.Edit Internet Billing Info
.Explore the latest at att.net

I assume that this is going away to be replaced by yahoo, at which point I will be able to pay 19.95 for premium services to restore the forwarding.

Webhead
join:2009-11-05
Mchenry, IL

Webhead to pokeydsl

to pokeydsl
I just called to cancel my AT&T DSL (sbcglobal.net) and asked how long my email accounts would be open and the CSR replied that they would be available for 90 days. We will see what happens after 90 days.

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
TP-Link TD-8616
Asus RT-AC66U B1
Netgear FR114P

NormanS

MVM

said by Webhead:

I just called to cancel my AT&T DSL (sbcglobal.net) and asked how long my email accounts would be open and the CSR replied that they would be available for 90 days. We will see what happens after 90 days.

Somewhere around here I have a postcard from AT&T. They sent it in response to my switching to Sonic.net, LLC "Fusion". They indicate that I can use my '@pacbell.net' email addresses as free web mail addresses. Indefinitely. If I can find it, again, I will scan it.

On a side note, Yahoo! just enabled IMAP service on their free accounts. When I tested one of my '@pacbell.net' accounts in Thunderbird, I was able to synchronize the account folders.

at&t Yahoo! HSI IMAP configuraion.

wayjac
MVM
Indy

wayjac

MVM

said by NormanS:

Somewhere around here I have a postcard from AT&T. They sent it in response to my switching to Sonic.net, LLC "Fusion". They indicate that I can use my '@pacbell.net' email addresses as free web mail addresses. Indefinitely. If I can find it, again, I will scan it

Is this the at&t postcard

/r0/download/1636359~3668244f24f1dc987c71277d02307719/free.jpg

NormanS
MVM
San Jose, CA

NormanS

MVM

It looks similar. I do believe I went through each account after the switch, just to test. At least a couple of them required me to accept the terms of service and click through an "Okay" screen.

wayjac
MVM
Indy

wayjac

MVM

You may retain pop access too....
CartDude
join:2003-06-22
Simi Valley, CA

CartDude to NormanS

to NormanS
said by NormanS See Profile
Somewhere around here I have a postcard from AT&T. They sent it in response to my switching to Sonic.net, LLC "Fusion". They indicate that I can use my '@pacbell.net' email addresses as free web mail addresses. Indefinitely. If I can find it, again, I will scan it.
[ATT=1 :

NormanS -did you say earlier that you setup a disposable email address on your pacbell.net acct (or was it just the free att.net one?)

Still curious if this will still work after cancelling service.

NormanS
MVM
San Jose, CA
TP-Link TD-8616
Asus RT-AC66U B1
Netgear FR114P

NormanS

MVM

said by CartDude:

NormanS -did you say earlier that you setup a disposable email address on your pacbell.net acct (or was it just the free att.net one?)

Still curious if this will still work after cancelling service.

Both, and disposable addresses are still working on the 'pacbell.net' account after cancellation.
bbear2
Premium Member
join:2003-10-06
dot.earth

bbear2

Premium Member

said by NormanS:

Both, and disposable addresses are still working on the 'pacbell.net' account after cancellation.

Thanks Norman. This is the first actual confirmation we've received that states that the disposable addresses will still work after proper cancellation.

Out of curiosity, how long since you canceled?
Do you think this applies to sbcglobal.net as well?

NormanS
MVM
San Jose, CA
TP-Link TD-8616
Asus RT-AC66U B1
Netgear FR114P

NormanS

MVM

said by bbear2:

Thanks Norman. This is the first actual confirmation we've received that states that the disposable addresses will still work after proper cancellation.

Out of curiosity, how long since you canceled?
Do you think this applies to sbcglobal.net as well?

Three weeks. Should apply to any of the legacy SBC domains; probably legacy Bellsouth ('bellsouth.net') as well.

I should stress that you should check every email account shortly after cancellation. I got a screen which is basically a reiteration of the ToS, and requiring an agreement to the ToS when I cycled through the accounts in the first week after the new service went live.
bbear2
Premium Member
join:2003-10-06
dot.earth

bbear2

Premium Member

Would you mind updating us again in about 3 weeks, so that we'll know if the disposable email accounts are still around beyond 4 weeks? Seems to me there was something magical about 30 days.

Good suggestion about checking every email account, but how can you have more than one account per DSL line? Unless perhaps you canceled multiple DSL lines?
CartDude
Simi Valley, CA

CartDude to NormanS

to NormanS
said by NormanS:

Nice - appreciate the confirmation! Like bbear2 said, this is the first real confirmation posted here that disposable addresses still work.

This gives me some options now to look at other providers w/out worrying about my email addresses.

NormanS
MVM
San Jose, CA
TP-Link TD-8616
Asus RT-AC66U B1
Netgear FR114P

NormanS to bbear2

MVM

to bbear2
said by bbear2:

Good suggestion about checking every email account, but how can you have more than one account per DSL line? Unless perhaps you canceled multiple DSL lines?

With 'at&t Yahoo! HSI' you get a Primary account, and 10 sub accounts. I had set up 11 '@pacbell.net' email accounts on the Primary DSL account.

I had also reset the network password, used in the modem to authenticate the PPPoE session, so it was different from the email password, used to log in to the Primary email account.
Frohike7
Premium Member
join:2000-07-23
Waxahachie, TX

Frohike7 to pokeydsl

Premium Member

to pokeydsl
I can you give you confirmation without a shadow of a doubt as I work for AT&T.

If the email can be accessed on mail.yahoo.com, then the email will turn into a free email address 60 days after disconnection. It will stay free forever as long as you don't violate the Terms of Service.

One exception. if the service gets disconnected because of billing problems, then email will be lost.
CartDude
Simi Valley, CA

CartDude

said by Frohike7:

I can you give you confirmation without a shadow of a doubt as I work for AT&T.

If the email can be accessed on mail.yahoo.com, then the email will turn into a free email address 60 days after disconnection. It will stay free forever as long as you don't violate the Terms of Service.

One exception. if the service gets disconnected because of billing problems, then email will be lost.

Frohike - not to beat a dead horse, but can you also confirm that when the email turns into a free email address that any disposable email accts setup on that acct will remain free as well? There was some debate earlier if this required a Yahoo Mail Plus subscription ($19.99/year) to keep this feature since it is not available on regular free Yahoo mail accts.
Frohike7
Premium Member
join:2000-07-23
Waxahachie, TX

1 edit

Frohike7

Premium Member

I can't confirm anything about the disposable email addresses.

However you can goto att.net/signup and create a free att.net ID and see if that option is available. Whatever you get on those free IDs will be the same thing you get when your account is turned into a free ID.

UPDATE: I went ahead and created a free att.net ID and was able to create disposable email addresses. It did not ask me for a credit card or some such.
Swenson
join:2011-08-18
Washington, DC

Swenson

Apologies if this is a dead horse I'm beating: did anyone have experience with POP support beyond the first 30 or 60 days after switching to a free account? Via Yahoo Plus?

I just got off the phone with ATT, which corroborated the posts from Frohike and others: if I cancel the ATT dial-up I only kept to preserve my ATT.net email addresses, then my email accounts will convert to "free" via the Yahoo portal, as long as my account is in good standing. That is a great first step.

However, two departments at ATT also told me that if I upgrade that free account to Yahoo Plus (i.e., in order to use Outlook), then my address will have to change from ATT.net to yahoo.com. I do not want that to happen. I think someone in this discussion did convert a bellsouth account to free, then upgrade it via Yahoo Plus for $20, but I'd like to make that crystal clear that kept the email address intact. (If I figure this out myself, I will let folks know.)

Thank yous!

wayjac
MVM
Indy

wayjac

MVM

There is pop support after canceling
Swenson
join:2011-08-18
Washington, DC

Swenson

said by wayjac:

There is pop support after canceling

Thank you wayjac. But this thread doesn't clarify the timing details for me. Is POP/SMTP still working several months later?

NormanS
MVM
San Jose, CA
TP-Link TD-8616
Asus RT-AC66U B1
Netgear FR114P

NormanS

MVM

It is now two months and four days since I was switched over from 'at&t Yahoo! HSI' to 'Sonic.net "Fusion"'.

For 'pop.att.yahoo.com', Telnet to port 995 connected, but something garbled the commands. That is the preferred port, requiring SSL, and I expect my Telnet client failed to use SSL. Telnet to 'pop.att.yahoo.com:110' still works, though:
+OK hello from popgate 2.48.1 on pop112.sbc.mail.sp2.yahoo.com
user %User%@pacbell.net
+OK password required.
pass ***********************************
+OK maildrop ready, 0 messages (0 octets) (422078)
quit
+OK server signing off.

Connection to host lost.

And here are some partially redacted headers sending from '@pacbell.net' through 'smtp.att.yahoo.com:465':
Authentication-Results: hotmail.com; sender-id=temperror (sender IP is 66.94.236.31) header.from=%User@%pacbell.net; dkim=pass (testing mode) header.d=pacbell.net; x-hmca=none
X-Message-Status: n:0:n
X-SID-PRA: %Proper_Name% <%User@%pacbell.net>
X-DKIM-Result: Pass(t)
X-AUTH-Result: NONE
X-Message-Delivery: Vj0xLjE7dXM9MDtsPTA7YT0xO0Q9MTtTQ0w9Mw==
X-Message-Info: nCoVGf4hGnKdvXFf8H5LupziHsjlkf4FzKL8XMKvR4tioldvV1yTz8jvB7rIBBWuVNX8SRqb8TuhlQ82/MXuz4Bo1NACTMTXukYBRBXCQmfWXv/82J8f8k0EtcITtAnQB7X+uY/feSY=
Received: from nm21-vm0.access.bullet.mail.mud.yahoo.com ([66.94.236.31]) by bay0-mc2-f5.Bay0.hotmail.com with Microsoft SMTPSVC(6.0.3790.4675);
 Fri, 19 Aug 2011 10:38:27 -0700
Received: from [66.94.237.197] by nm21.access.bullet.mail.mud.yahoo.com with NNFMP; 19 Aug 2011 17:38:27 -0000
Received: from [66.94.237.125] by tm8.access.bullet.mail.mud.yahoo.com with NNFMP; 19 Aug 2011 17:38:27 -0000
Received: from [127.0.0.1] by omp1030.access.mail.mud.yahoo.com with NNFMP; 19 Aug 2011 17:38:27 -0000
X-Yahoo-Newman-Id: 85878.71579.bm@omp1030.access.mail.mud.yahoo.com
Received: (qmail 34496 invoked from network); 19 Aug 2011 17:38:26 -0000
DomainKey-Signature: a=rsa-sha1; q=dns; c=nofws;
DKIM-Signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=pacbell.net; s=s1024; t=1313775506; bh=6PgSipurYEGKjHHhw1DMD0opGIAxa+2JOS6X9P5n0mY=; h=X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:X-YMail-OSG:X-Yahoo-SMTP:Received:Message-ID:Date:From:Organization:User-Agent:MIME-Version:To:Subject:Content-Type:Content-Transfer-Encoding; b=V2UF7/bBa5m/8TyH66jukSQwjKrKWaDYdgyCe/rE8p1ePQb71ZIosOBFxH5G9IQHyrcJTPXZ1FzigJ3LXWVEt7TjnDEBUtbG+kfH3rVky6Nnt7BOq/nwxk3SW+194zL5PvCNde763iwLQ9lNA7Xe088fmRiaXFrsFouur/fRH4Y=
X-Yahoo-Newman-Property: ymail-3
X-YMail-OSG: XI_hx5IVM1nHOjBI7a0S5woE3WrxN47WrDbqIC5ud3jMLDB
X-Yahoo-SMTP: Oekb_sqswBCFRdkLlydxkYF.66xPywBtHHNIdkMEPgcQ
Received: from [192.168.102.34] (%User%@173.228.18.182 with plain)
        by smtp109.sbc.mail.bf1.yahoo.com with SMTP; 19 Aug 2011 10:38:26 -0700 PDT
Message-ID: <4E4E9F70.3080003@kozue.aosake.net>
Date: Fri, 19 Aug 2011 10:37:52 -0700
Organization: Polka Dot Ranch
User-Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; rv:6.0) Gecko/20110812 Thunderbird/6.0
MIME-Version: 1.0
To: %User%@live.com
Subject: [TEST]
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1; format=flowed
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Return-Path: %User%@pacbell.net
X-OriginalArrivalTime: 19 Aug 2011 17:38:27.0490 (UTC) FILETIME=[CDA13020:01CC5E96]

After two months, every is still working.

P.S. I expect I will be getting a security alert email from Yahoo! warning that I accessed the server though an unsecure port, and reminding me to use port 995 with SSL.