bbear2
Premium
join:2003-10-06
kudos:5
Reviews:
·VOIPO
reply to NormanS

Re: Keep sbcglobal.net or att.net email address after DSL cancel

Would you mind updating us again in about 3 weeks, so that we'll know if the disposable email accounts are still around beyond 4 weeks? Seems to me there was something magical about 30 days.

Good suggestion about checking every email account, but how can you have more than one account per DSL line? Unless perhaps you canceled multiple DSL lines?

CartDude

join:2003-06-22
Simi Valley, CA
reply to NormanS
said by NormanS:

Both, and disposable addresses are still working on the 'pacbell.net' account after cancellation.

Nice - appreciate the confirmation! Like bbear2 said, this is the first real confirmation posted here that disposable addresses still work.

This gives me some options now to look at other providers w/out worrying about my email addresses.

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
Premium,MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
kudos:12
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC
reply to bbear2
said by bbear2:

Good suggestion about checking every email account, but how can you have more than one account per DSL line? Unless perhaps you canceled multiple DSL lines?

With 'at&t Yahoo! HSI' you get a Primary account, and 10 sub accounts. I had set up 11 '@pacbell.net' email accounts on the Primary DSL account.

I had also reset the network password, used in the modem to authenticate the PPPoE session, so it was different from the email password, used to log in to the Primary email account.
--
Norman
~Oh Lord, why have you come
~To Konnyu, with the Lion and the Drum

Frohike
Premium
join:2000-07-23
Waxahachie, TX
kudos:4
reply to pokeydsl
I can you give you confirmation without a shadow of a doubt as I work for AT&T.

If the email can be accessed on mail.yahoo.com, then the email will turn into a free email address 60 days after disconnection. It will stay free forever as long as you don't violate the Terms of Service.

One exception. if the service gets disconnected because of billing problems, then email will be lost.

CartDude

Simi Valley, CA
said by Frohike:

I can you give you confirmation without a shadow of a doubt as I work for AT&T.

If the email can be accessed on mail.yahoo.com, then the email will turn into a free email address 60 days after disconnection. It will stay free forever as long as you don't violate the Terms of Service.

One exception. if the service gets disconnected because of billing problems, then email will be lost.

Frohike - not to beat a dead horse, but can you also confirm that when the email turns into a free email address that any disposable email accts setup on that acct will remain free as well? There was some debate earlier if this required a Yahoo Mail Plus subscription ($19.99/year) to keep this feature since it is not available on regular free Yahoo mail accts.

Frohike
Premium
Waxahachie, TX

1 edit
I can't confirm anything about the disposable email addresses.

However you can goto att.net/signup and create a free att.net ID and see if that option is available. Whatever you get on those free IDs will be the same thing you get when your account is turned into a free ID.

UPDATE: I went ahead and created a free att.net ID and was able to create disposable email addresses. It did not ask me for a credit card or some such.

Swenson

join:2011-08-18
Washington, DC
Apologies if this is a dead horse I'm beating: did anyone have experience with POP support beyond the first 30 or 60 days after switching to a free account? Via Yahoo Plus?

I just got off the phone with ATT, which corroborated the posts from Frohike and others: if I cancel the ATT dial-up I only kept to preserve my ATT.net email addresses, then my email accounts will convert to "free" via the Yahoo portal, as long as my account is in good standing. That is a great first step.

However, two departments at ATT also told me that if I upgrade that free account to Yahoo Plus (i.e., in order to use Outlook), then my address will have to change from ATT.net to yahoo.com. I do not want that to happen. I think someone in this discussion did convert a bellsouth account to free, then upgrade it via Yahoo Plus for $20, but I'd like to make that crystal clear that kept the email address intact. (If I figure this out myself, I will let folks know.)

Thank yous!

wayjac
Premium,MVM
join:2001-12-22
Indy
There is pop support after canceling

Swenson

join:2011-08-18
Washington, DC
said by wayjac:

There is pop support after canceling

Thank you wayjac. But this thread doesn't clarify the timing details for me. Is POP/SMTP still working several months later?

NormanS
Premium,MVM
San Jose, CA
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC
It is now two months and four days since I was switched over from 'at&t Yahoo! HSI' to 'Sonic.net "Fusion"'.

For 'pop.att.yahoo.com', Telnet to port 995 connected, but something garbled the commands. That is the preferred port, requiring SSL, and I expect my Telnet client failed to use SSL. Telnet to 'pop.att.yahoo.com:110' still works, though:
+OK hello from popgate 2.48.1 on pop112.sbc.mail.sp2.yahoo.com
user %User%@pacbell.net
+OK password required.
pass ***********************************
+OK maildrop ready, 0 messages (0 octets) (422078)
quit
+OK server signing off.

Connection to host lost.

And here are some partially redacted headers sending from '@pacbell.net' through 'smtp.att.yahoo.com:465':
Authentication-Results: hotmail.com; sender-id=temperror (sender IP is 66.94.236.31) header.from=%User@%pacbell.net; dkim=pass (testing mode) header.d=pacbell.net; x-hmca=none
X-Message-Status: n:0:n
X-SID-PRA: %Proper_Name% <%User@%pacbell.net>
X-DKIM-Result: Pass(t)
X-AUTH-Result: NONE
X-Message-Delivery: Vj0xLjE7dXM9MDtsPTA7YT0xO0Q9MTtTQ0w9Mw==
X-Message-Info: nCoVGf4hGnKdvXFf8H5LupziHsjlkf4FzKL8XMKvR4tioldvV1yTz8jvB7rIBBWuVNX8SRqb8TuhlQ82/MXuz4Bo1NACTMTXukYBRBXCQmfWXv/82J8f8k0EtcITtAnQB7X+uY/feSY=
Received: from nm21-vm0.access.bullet.mail.mud.yahoo.com ([66.94.236.31]) by bay0-mc2-f5.Bay0.hotmail.com with Microsoft SMTPSVC(6.0.3790.4675);
 Fri, 19 Aug 2011 10:38:27 -0700
Received: from [66.94.237.197] by nm21.access.bullet.mail.mud.yahoo.com with NNFMP; 19 Aug 2011 17:38:27 -0000
Received: from [66.94.237.125] by tm8.access.bullet.mail.mud.yahoo.com with NNFMP; 19 Aug 2011 17:38:27 -0000
Received: from [127.0.0.1] by omp1030.access.mail.mud.yahoo.com with NNFMP; 19 Aug 2011 17:38:27 -0000
X-Yahoo-Newman-Id: 85878.71579.bm@omp1030.access.mail.mud.yahoo.com
Received: (qmail 34496 invoked from network); 19 Aug 2011 17:38:26 -0000
DomainKey-Signature: a=rsa-sha1; q=dns; c=nofws;
DKIM-Signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=pacbell.net; s=s1024; t=1313775506; bh=6PgSipurYEGKjHHhw1DMD0opGIAxa+2JOS6X9P5n0mY=; h=X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:X-YMail-OSG:X-Yahoo-SMTP:Received:Message-ID:Date:From:Organization:User-Agent:MIME-Version:To:Subject:Content-Type:Content-Transfer-Encoding; b=V2UF7/bBa5m/8TyH66jukSQwjKrKWaDYdgyCe/rE8p1ePQb71ZIosOBFxH5G9IQHyrcJTPXZ1FzigJ3LXWVEt7TjnDEBUtbG+kfH3rVky6Nnt7BOq/nwxk3SW+194zL5PvCNde763iwLQ9lNA7Xe088fmRiaXFrsFouur/fRH4Y=
X-Yahoo-Newman-Property: ymail-3
X-YMail-OSG: XI_hx5IVM1nHOjBI7a0S5woE3WrxN47WrDbqIC5ud3jMLDB
X-Yahoo-SMTP: Oekb_sqswBCFRdkLlydxkYF.66xPywBtHHNIdkMEPgcQ
Received: from [192.168.102.34] (%User%@173.228.18.182 with plain)
        by smtp109.sbc.mail.bf1.yahoo.com with SMTP; 19 Aug 2011 10:38:26 -0700 PDT
Message-ID: <4E4E9F70.3080003@kozue.aosake.net>
Date: Fri, 19 Aug 2011 10:37:52 -0700
Organization: Polka Dot Ranch
User-Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; rv:6.0) Gecko/20110812 Thunderbird/6.0
MIME-Version: 1.0
To: %User%@live.com
Subject: [TEST]
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1; format=flowed
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Return-Path: %User%@pacbell.net
X-OriginalArrivalTime: 19 Aug 2011 17:38:27.0490 (UTC) FILETIME=[CDA13020:01CC5E96]

After two months, every is still working.

P.S. I expect I will be getting a security alert email from Yahoo! warning that I accessed the server though an unsecure port, and reminding me to use port 995 with SSL.

--
Norman

agalileo

@equinix.net
reply to Frohike
Found it stated in Yahoo & AT&T terms of service:
»info.yahoo.com/legal/us/att/term ··· rms/all/
»www.att.com/shop/internet/att-in ··· vice.jsp

Just cancelled since I couldn't wait a month to get internet service after my move.

Frohike
Premium
Waxahachie, TX
reply to pokeydsl
I can't guarantee how long pop access will continue to work on free accounts. When we started this process last year, it was my understanding email would only work at the website and pop access would be denied.

As you have read - pop access is still working on free accounts.

Now I could inquire about it and see if this by intention or mistake. However, you really want me to rock the boat incase its a mistake? And bring it to their attention and then all of the sudden pop access is now gone and will require Yahoo Mail Plus to get it back?

I say enjoy it as long as you can.

CartDude

Simi Valley, CA

1 edit
reply to Frohike
said by Frohike:

I can't confirm anything about the disposable email addresses.

However you can goto att.net/signup and create a free att.net ID and see if that option is available. Whatever you get on those free IDs will be the same thing you get when your account is turned into a free ID.

UPDATE: I went ahead and created a free att.net ID and was able to create disposable email addresses. It did not ask me for a credit card or some such.

Just got around to checking out my free att.net acct I setup a few months ago to see if the disposable email addresses would be available and the option is missing from Mail Options. Not sure if this applies to paid accts after cancelling service or not but looks like something has changed since Frohike tested this in July.

NormanS
Premium,MVM
San Jose, CA
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC
said by CartDude:

Just got around to checking out my free att.net acct I setup a few months ago to see if the disposable email addresses would be available and the option is missing from Mail Options. Not sure if this applies to paid accts after cancelling service or not but looks like something has changed since Frohike tested this in July.

I just checked my 'att.net' account which I set up on July 23, 2010. I had set up a disposable email address at some point past.

So I checked another 'att.net' account I had set up earlier, on July 14, 2010. I was able to create a disposable email address for that account, as well. Neither are related to my former 'pacbell.net' account. Which, BTW, after more than 120 days, still allows SMTP and IMAP access.
--
Norman

CartDude

Simi Valley, CA
said by NormanS:

I just checked my 'att.net' account which I set up on July 23, 2010. I had set up a disposable email address at some point past.

So I checked another 'att.net' account I had set up earlier, on July 14, 2010. I was able to create a disposable email address for that account, as well. Neither are related to my former 'pacbell.net' account. Which, BTW, after more than 120 days, still allows SMTP and IMAP access.

Thanks for checking NormanS, just to confirm, are you going to "Mail Options" and then you see the option for "Disposable Email Addresses" on the left hand side? I do have this option in my existing pacbell.net acct, but for the free att.net acct I setup I don't see this option (either in the new email or classic email interface). There is also not an option for POP access either on the free att.net acct.

One thing I do see on the free att.net account is that under the "Accounts" option there is a "Create extra email address" selection which allows a second email address to be setup that will deliver mail to the main address. I wonder if this option is now replacing disposable email addresses for the free accts even though it isn't the same thing.

I'm thinking of changing ISP's so hopefully this won't affect my existing pacbell.net email acct since I rely heavily on the disposable email address option.

NormanS
Premium,MVM
San Jose, CA
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC
said by CartDude:

One thing I do see on the free att.net account is that under the "Accounts" option there is a "Create extra email address" selection which allows a second email address to be setup that will deliver mail to the main address. I wonder if this option is now replacing disposable email addresses for the free accts even though it isn't the same thing.

I'm thinking of changing ISP's so hopefully this won't affect my existing pacbell.net email acct since I rely heavily on the disposable email address option.

The "Create extra email address" is not the same as the "Disposable email address". You only get one "Extra email address". When I first migrated my SBC DSL account to "SBC Yahoo! DSL Service", I was able to merge a free Yahoo! email account with an SBC email account; one per account. That is no longer possible, except for the Primary account, and then only when the 'at&t Yahoo! HSI' account is first activated. However, when I did migrate, I had a couple of accounts where I had a 'pacbell.net' email address, a merged 'yahoo.com' email address, and an "Extra" 'yahoo.com' email address. For those accounts, the 'yahoo.com' email addresses were just "aliases" to the 'pacbell.net' email address.
What I currently have:

My oldest free Yahoo! account.

My old Primary SBC account.

A newer free Yahoo! account.

My latest free Yahoo! account in the 'att.net' domain.

My oldest Yahoo! Mail account was set up July 7, 1999 (based on what Yahoo! claims). When I signed up for Pacific Bell DSL service at the end of January, 2001, I only got one primary email address, two extra email addresses, and two aliases. Then I migrated to 'SBC Yahoo! DSL Service on December 18, 2002 (Yahoo! shows that as my "membership date". At that time I merged the free Yahoo! account with an SBC sub account that had the same UserID. Later, before Yahoo! added "AddressGuard" (the disposable email addresses), I unmerged the old, free Yahoo! account from the 'pacbell.net' sub account, then deleted that sub account. It took a couple of years before this 'yahoo.com' account was restored to the features of a free account (no "POP3&Forwarding", no "Disposable addresses"), yet it still has vestiges from the time when it was a merged account (see the 'att.net' lines).

My current Primary 'pacbell.net' account. Although I am no longer an AT&T customer, this account still has the features of a Primary AT&T account; other than that I can't use the '{smtp|pop}.att.yahoo.com' mail servers. Substituting 'mail' for 'att', and using 'imap' in place of 'pop' does work. I think I tried the 'pop.mail' setting on one of the accounts, as a test, and it worked. I am too lazy to verify that again. As you can see, the "Disposable addresses" and "POP&Forwarding" are still listed options.

The third image is from another free Yahoo! Mail account I had set up for some reason. Rarely used, Yahoo! had deactivated it, and I had to go through a reactivation process to check the options. I had originally set up this account on January 29, 2006. Although "Disposable addresses" is shown as an option, clicking the link to activate the option brings up an offer to upgrade the account to a "Mail Plus" account. Without paying for that upgrade, neither "POP&Forwarding", nor "Disposable addresses" will be available for this account.

The last image is from a free Yahoo! Mail in the 'att.net' domain. Like the 'pacbell.net' account, this has "POP&Forwarding" and "Disposable addresses" as available options. Upgrading to "Mail Plus" is not necessary. I don't know why this should be; it was totally unexpected. This is the older of two that I set up; mostly to test how they would work. I got this account on July 14, 2010.

So there it is: Two free Yahoo! accounts without "POP&Forwarding" and "Disposable addresses", and two with those options. No real rhyme or reason that I can see; other than those with the options are affiliated with AT&T, even though I no longer am.

P.S. It is now 130 days since I fired AT&T, and the 'pacbell.net' accounts are still working with "POP&Forwarding", and "Disposable addresses".

--
Norman

bbear2
Premium
Is the att.net basically a yahoo email address re-branded or is it yet another separate email provide?

wayjac
Premium,MVM
Indy
The att.net is all att and att has been using that since 2007

bbear2
Premium
So then is ATT.net is separate. According to his last screen shot, it looks to be co-branded with yahoo mail but you do get disposable email address and POP & Forwarding for free

wayjac
Premium,MVM
Indy
Keep in mind that yahoo offers free and paid email services and "yahoo manages" email for att

If you order att services.......dsl or uverse and create a new email address it will have the att.net domain
You can also create a free new email address that will have the att.net domain

att has many email domains here's a list of all the domains

@snet.net
@prodigy.net
@flash.net
@wans.net
@ameritech.net
@nvbell.net
@pacbell.net
@swbell.net
@sbcglobal.net
@bellsouth.net
@att.net

bbear2
Premium
Doesn't anyone find it strange that what they charge for on one domain (e.g. yahoo.com), it's available for free on another domain (e.g. att.net)?

NormanS
Premium,MVM
San Jose, CA
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC
reply to bbear2
said by bbear2:

Is the att.net basically a yahoo email address re-branded or is it yet another separate email provide?

AFAIK, the 'att.net' email address belongs to AT&T. There is a web site to sign up free accounts:

»www.att.net/s/s.dll?spage=host/g ··· ce=login

So the sign up is on an AT&T site; actually on the 'attreg' web site. The UserID is attached to the 'att.net' domain. You don't need to be an AT&T customer to get it. However, the two accounts that I signed up were while I was on ATTIS transit, and that may have influenced thing. I guess the acid test would be to sign up a third account, now that I would be arriving on Sonic.net transit.

I expect that all AT&T domain email is managed by Yahoo!, with 'att.net' being offered to anybody, regardless of who their ISP is.
--
Norman

NormanS
Premium,MVM
San Jose, CA
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC
reply to bbear2
said by bbear2:

Doesn't anyone find it strange that what they charge for on one domain (e.g. yahoo.com), it's available for free on another domain (e.g. att.net)?

When I first learned about keeping AT&T email, I thought it would revert to the same features as Yahoo! Web Mail, free accounts. I was surprised to find that wasn't the case on my 'pacbell.net' domains after switching ISP. I have to wonder if Yahoo! is finding it hard to separate the active AT&T accounts from non-AT&T subscribers, and it is just easier for them to allow the premium extras with the 'att.net' domain.

Of course, that means things could change without notice once Yahoo! figures out how to separate the accounts.
--
Norman

nwrickert
sand groper
Premium,MVM
join:2004-09-04
Geneva, IL
kudos:7
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
reply to bbear2
said by bbear2:

I think it only means that they haven't gotten around to setting up their software to charge for it, and the number of people involved is small enough that their incentives are low.
--
AT&T Uverse; Zyxel NBG334W router (behind the 2wire gateway); openSuSE 11.4; firefox 7.0.1

CartDude

Simi Valley, CA
reply to NormanS
Thanks NormanS for the screen shots, appreciate it. This confirms that they have definitely changed things with the free att.net accts or at least when I setup my free acct they decided to not offer Disposable Email Addresses any longer (I was using my ATT acct when I set it up so they would have seen that in the IP address if that made a difference).

I also checked one of my Yahoo Mail accts that I setup 10 years ago and interestingly enough I do see the "POP and Forwarding" option but like you said when I select it there is a link to upgrade to Mail Plus. I don't see the Disposable Email Address option at all though.

This makes me a bit uneasy to cancel my ATT acct and risk losing my Disposable email addresses (I have almost 300 setup!) it would be nice if this was specifically addressed in the TOS. I read it several times and it's very confusing since it talks about merging accts with Yahoo but I never explicitly did that.

NormanS
Premium,MVM
San Jose, CA
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC

1 edit
said by CartDude:

This makes me a bit uneasy to cancel my ATT acct and risk losing my Disposable email addresses (I have almost 300 setup!) it would be nice if this was specifically addressed in the TOS. I read it several times and it's very confusing since it talks about merging accts with Yahoo but I never explicitly did that.

You caused me to check my accounts. I had migrated all 'pacbell.net' accounts in December, 2002. During the migration, I did not merge a free Yahoo! Mail account to my Primary account for test reasons; so I could report in these (then SBC) forums about merging. I created a number of free Yahoo! Mail accounts specifically to merge with 'pacbell.net' sub accounts. I unmerged two of the merged Yahoo! Mail accounts, and killed a couple of other 'pacbell.net' sub accounts; only to find that I could not merge Yahoo! IDs to the replacements. At some point the system was changed so a new SBC/AT&T sub account can't have have a merged Yahoo! Mail account.

At this time, I only have one sub account which had been created when merging was allowed; it has two 'yahoo.com' aliases. So, a 'pacbell.net' address, an "extra" email address ('yahoo.com'), and a merged Yahoo! Mail account.

I just checked the other unmerged 'yahoo.com' account. Like the first, it has none of the "Plus" options which attend to the former SBC/AT&T accounts.

Oddly, all the formerly merged Yahoo! Mail accounts still list the existing 'yahoo.com' account as an 'att.net' email account.

No longer merged.

The newly created Yahoo! Mail account (which I reactivated) does not list any 'att.net' component.

All of the 'pacbell.net' accounts still have their disposable addresses; and it is now about 130 days since I canceled my 'at&t Yahoo! HSI' service.

What a trip! I lost my edits!!!!

Anyway, I managed to set up a new 'att.net' account. Where my first two were signed up from an ATTIS connection, this one was signed up from a Sonic.net connection. I don't know if that, or the timing, explain that there are no "Plus" options ("Disposable mail" and "POP&Forwarding"; but there are none).

My latest 'att.net' email account.

--
Norman

CartDude

Simi Valley, CA
That's interesting, I remember getting the notification about changing the POP server from pacbell.net to yahoo.com a long while back, but I never explicitly merged my primary pacbell acct or sub accounts with a Yahoo email acct. If I understand this correctly, this was a way to get email addressed to the Yahoo acct and Pacbell acct at the same Pacbell address?

The picture you have of the new free att.net acct is exactly what I see on my free att.net acct that I setup a few months ago (with my ATT connection), so that confirms that they eliminated the Disposable and POP options from these free accts. They must have realized that these are Mail Plus options that shouldn't be offered for free, I wonder if they also eliminated these for new att.net paid accts?

Since your old pacbell.net acct with Disposable email addresses still work, that gives me some confidence mine will be the same if I cancel, although knowing my luck Murphy's law will kick in!!

NormanS
Premium,MVM
San Jose, CA
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC
said by CartDude:

Since your old pacbell.net acct with Disposable email addresses still work, that gives me some confidence mine will be the same if I cancel, although knowing my luck Murphy's law will kick in!!

The point to keep in mind is that these legacy accounts, such as my 'pacbell.net' accounts, were supposed to be 'converted' to free Yahoo! Mail accounts. The features given to the co-branded ISP users ('at&t Yahoo! HSI) are supposed to be perks for the benefit of the ISP customer; the equivalent of a Yahoo! Mail Plus account. So Yahoo! could figure out what is going on, and make changes at any time.

The other thing to note: Yahoo! seems to have activated IMAP access on their free accounts. So even those accounts I have, which do not have "POP&Forwarding" available, still work just fine with clients capable of accessing IMAP servers. I am using:

• Incoming: 'imap.mail.yahoo.com:993' w/SSL.
• Outgoing: 'smtp.mail.yahoo.com:465' w/SSL.

My oldest, and free, Yahoo! Mail account.

This is the same account as shown first, of four, in a previous post. In the 'yahoo.com' domain. No "POP&Forwarding" available for this account. I believe it has something to with allowing access to mobile devices.
--
Norman

tivoboy

join:2004-05-10
Menlo Park, CA
good news indeed

JohN487

@bellsouth.net
So I've read through most of this thread and just want to confirm what I believe I've read.

If you have a legacy address with @bellsouth.net, you keep @bellsouth.net when you disconnect your DSL service. It doesn't convert to @yahoo or anything else right?

Most people are still able to use pop access after disconnecting, forgive me for not know (because I don't use outlook) but does outlook support imap should pop access be shut off?

Thanks ahead of time.