uniqs
share rss forum feed

xelerator
Premium
join:2005-06-03
Saint Charles, MO
reply to pokeydsl

Re: Keep sbcglobal.net or att.net email address after DSL cancel

well Im getting confused now. I have had a sbc.global email since around 2002 and accessed it through Yahoo. I originally received the sbc yahoo software with the rocket on it. I have several disposable address that I also use. My family on my account all have sbcglobal addresses. Can I keep all these or not??? I installed charter a month ago and never even set a email up with them yet. Everything is through sbcglobal at the att. yahoo homepage. If I can do i need to set anything up BEFORE i cancel? All my business contacts use these current addresses. Will all my saved emails be accessible?
Sorry for all the questions, the more i read through the threads on this the opinions keeps changing.

ATT

@sbc.com
reply to pokeydsl

AT&T High Speed Internet Terms of Service Update
AT&T is updating its High Speed Internet Terms of Service effective May 2, 2011.

Does the new language about email mean you'll start charging non-customers for e-mail access?

No, we've actually added free email for non-customers and we are keeping email free for current customers. Therefore, potential customers without AT&T High Speed Internet now can sign up for an email address on att.net.

And what happens to my email when I cancel Service with AT&T? Is that changing?

We have changed our previous practice so that you will now be able to keep your email address even if you choose to disconnect your High Speed Internet Service with AT&T.

bbear2
Premium
join:2003-10-06
kudos:5

Does ATT.NET email offer free POP3?

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
Premium,MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
kudos:11
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET

said by bbear2:

Does ATT.NET email offer free POP3?

I have not tried; but you can use 'imap.mail.yahoo.com:993' with free accounts.

Configuring Windows Live Mail with a courtesy AT&T account.

Tested both ways; still works. BTW, it is about ten months since I fired AT&T.
--
Norman
~Oh Lord, why have you come
~To Konnyu, with the Lion and the Drum

Motorgirl

@comcast.net

I have had an sbcglobal.net account since 2002. I have always used Outlook as my e-mail client. Twelve months ago, due to deplorable DSL speeds, I cancelled AT&T DSL and switched to Comcast. I kept my sbcglobal.net account and 1 sub-account, which was now free. I was still able to POP to Outlook without any problems. Nothing changed. Then, without warning, 4 days ago, POP service was terminated. I can only access my email through Yahoo Mail (web mail). It has taken me 4 days to figure out what is going on. AT&T tech support has been zero help. No one at AT&T can tell me what happened. They blamed it on Outlook and say they don't support 3rd party e-mail clients. I e-mailed Yahoo customer service this morning, but no response. I tried live chat -- waited 2 hrs for someone to answer, and then gave up. Of course you can't find a phone number to actually talk to someone, as if you would be able to understand them if you were to actually speak with them. From what I can tell from hours of internet research, I am probably going to have to upgrade to Yahoo Mail Plus or maybe try the free software, YPOPS, which acts as a proxy server to convert webmail to a POP account (I think). I will have to investigate this further. If I upgrade to Y Mail Plus, I don't know if I will be able to keep the same e-mail address or not, since I haven't received a response back from Yahoo yet. I have years of saved business e-mails in Outlook that I must be able access, so I'm going to have to find a solution. I already opened my own domain account (did not use a Comcast account - would just be same song, second verse) and will be slowly migrating to it, but I have hundreds of customers that will have to start using the new address and making that transition is not going to be easy. If I get any answers from Yahoo, I will post. Grrrrrrrrrrr!

bbear2
Premium
join:2003-10-06
kudos:5

Do you have a non-anonymous dslr account?

Frohike
Premium
join:2000-07-23
Waxahachie, TX
kudos:4

1 edit
reply to pokeydsl

I did find this at our support site:
If you signed up for a free att.net email account after 6/12/11, you will not be able to use an email program (e.g., Outlook) with your AT&T email account.

Sounds like your 12 months was before this date so your outlook should still work. But the reason AT&T support is zero help when you call us, is because our tech support is for payiing customers only. We do not offer any assistance on emails that become free accounts. If that sounds blunt, I apologize, it is what it is.

I will offer this: Delete your account profile in Outlook and recreate it. Sometimes those profiles get corrupted and stop working correctly. Creating a brand new one sometimes clears it up.

vwoom

join:2008-01-18
San Gabriel, CA
reply to pokeydsl

I have a seldom used att.net email account and am interested in keeping it after I cancel my over 3yr old Basic AT&T DSL service by the end of this month.

With that said, I will retain my wired AT&T phone line service since it will be utilized by my new DSL provider (faster speed, lower price, no contract). Also, I was informed that my prospective DSL provider "uses AT&T servers".

So curiously, does anyone here think/have any idea if, with my retention of my AT&T phone line connection plus the above server use by this DSL provider...that I have a chance to keep my att.net email account?

NormanS
Premium,MVM
San Jose, CA
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET

said by vwoom:

... does anyone here think/have any idea if, with my retention of my AT&T phone line connection plus the above server use by this DSL provider...that I have a chance to keep my att.net email account?

I fired AT&T over ten months ago. My 'pacbell.net' e-mail accounts still work. I have not tried the Yahoo! POP3 servers, but their IMAP servers work for my accounts.
--
Norman

canaan

@sbcglobal.net
reply to Motorgirl

I am just about to make this same transition from AT&T with my sbcglobal.net address to comcast, I have been using the email with outlook for at least 12 years. I am VERY interested in how everything works out for you. I realize I am not any help to you but want to learn from your experience.

Thank you,

xelerator
Premium
join:2005-06-03
Saint Charles, MO
reply to pokeydsl

I'll throw this into the mix also. If you can keep your email accounts , i have 5 sbcglobals for the family, can you also keep your disposable email addresses? They say @ yahoo.com. Are these through Yahoo only are is there a connection with ATT.

NormanS
Premium,MVM
San Jose, CA
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET

"Is there a Yahoo! connection with AT&T"?

Yes. AT&T contracts with Yahoo! to provide certain Web services to AT&T customers. Including e-mail.

AT&T even offers free web mail in the 'att.net' domain through Yahoo! This is available to anybody with an Internet connection. I recently met a veteran with a Comcast account, who thought he needed a non-Comcast account during his stay in a rehab facility. I couldn't convince he could use Comcast for his purpose, so I helped him sign up for a free, 'att.net' account. The account has most of the same features as a free Yahoo! e-mail account.

Active AT&T customers have most of the same features as a Yahoo! Plus (paid) e-mail account.

"Can I keep my disposable e-mail addresses when I leave AT&T"?

Maybe. I still have mine, but I set them up before I dumped AT&T. Whether you can set them up after leaving, I do not know. They are not available with the free 'att.net' accounts.

Disposable e-mail addresses with closed .

None in fresh 'att.net' account.

--
Norman