how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

rwsteel

@sbcglobal.net
reply to pokeydsl

Re: Keep sbcglobal.net or att.net email address after DSL cancel

my att.net acount is suspened now i have a yahoo .com acount can i trarnsfer my info. from att to yahoo?

garyvand

join:2002-07-24
Napa, CA
reply to pokeydsl

When the @sbcglobal.net account is converted to free email, can one still access it with a mail client such as Outlook Express using the servers pop.att.yahoo.com and smtp.att.yahoo.com? Or does it downgrade to webmail only?

Frohike
Premium
join:2000-07-23
Waxahachie, TX
kudos:4
reply to pokeydsl

@garyvand: Free email accounts are webmail only.

@rwsteel: With a suspended att.net account - when you log into it - it should give you an option to create a free yahoo ID. It will transfer the emails and contacts to that NEW yahoo ID.

It will NOT transfer to a new existing yahoo ID because it doesn't give an option to move info to an already existing account. Just an option to create a brand new yahoo ID.

Kingtrunks

@nevada.edu
reply to pokeydsl

So if you don't pay for AT&T services at all (no DSL, no dial-up, no mail services) and cancel your account, you will still be allowed to use the account if you can access it through »att.my.yahoo.com ?

Is that correct? We're converting to Charter and I really don't wanna go through the pain of forwarding over 1k emails to a new account

Thank you.

Logan 5
Enjoying the Cataclysm
Premium,MVM
join:2001-05-25
Austin, TX
kudos:7

said by Kingtrunks :

So if you don't pay for AT&T services at all (no DSL, no dial-up, no mail services) and cancel your account, you will still be allowed to use the account if you can access it through »att.my.yahoo.com ?

Is that correct? We're converting to Charter and I really don't wanna go through the pain of forwarding over 1k emails to a new account

Thank you.
As was stated above by Frohike See Profile several times in answer to variations of your question, if you had bothered to read the whole thread, his answer is as long as your account was not canceled for non payment or violations of the TOS & it can be used through att.yahoo.com (att.my.yahoo.com) then yes, you can keep using your existing email address which you would access through yahoo once you have left AT&T.

Did you even try to access your account through the yahoo portal before making your post? You did read about this before you made your post so I am wondering if you had a technical problem that made you question if this is the correct procedure or not.

Frohike
Premium
Waxahachie, TX

1 recommendation

reply to pokeydsl

I do need to say this:

If you are canceling all your phone services with AT&T (DSL included) - please call 877 722-3755 and cancel your DSL seperately there as well.

Telephone and DSL are 2 seperate companies - therefore 2 seperate systems. I run into alot of customers that cancel their phone service which SHOULD cancel the DSL as well but that doesn't happen immediately.

Basically the DSL is still active and tries to bill - but since the Telephone account is disconnected the DSL system sees that as unbillable and will eventually disconnect the DSL for non-payment. This applies to Landlines only and NOT Dry Loop service.

So in summary - if you are wanting to keep your email for free and you are disconnecting your DSL and Phone service then call 877-722-3755 (follow prompts for billing) and put in a seperate disconnect for DSL or problems could arise.

Just a friendly FYI.

mg46323

@70.142.247.x

Much props "FRO"...excellent info...just canceled my ATT DSL and downgraded to the lowest landline service, 45 calls/mo. I tried to wait for UVERSE in my are, hammond indiana, for 2 yrs. With no ETA, a man has to cut corners to save $$$. maybe in the future if ATT can offer me a solid package, I may return.

PS - just tested my access at att.yahoo.com using my sbcglobal domain with 100% success. I'm good! )

Thx again

hecks5

@sbcglobal.net
reply to pokeydsl

I just cancelled all my uverse services due to a move (prior to findinf this forum). Regarding FRO's last post, should I call back & try to cancel the internet separately? Not sure if that is an option, and would love to retain my att.net addy.

Frohike
Premium
Waxahachie, TX

1 edit

said by hecks5 :

I just cancelled all my uverse services due to a move (prior to findinf this forum). Regarding FRO's last post, should I call back & try to cancel the internet separately? Not sure if that is an option, and would love to retain my att.net addy.
TO be honest - I'm not really sure about Uverse side of it. I work with DSL only. You might want to post your question in the Uverse Forum »AT&T U-verse and see if an Employee and can answer your question.

EDIT:
Might've misunderstood your post. See if this answers it - if you cancel your Uverse Internet - you will still be able to retain your email address.

left4dead

join:2008-12-24
Burbank, CA
reply to pokeydsl

I have a 'DRY-LOOP' DSL account (good standing) bundled with an AT&T wireless account.

Next week I'm switching to Cable DSL. Will I be able to keep my "sbcglobal.net" email accounts after I cancel the AT&T DSL?

Please confirm. Thanks.

Frohike
Premium
Waxahachie, TX

said by left4dead:

I have a 'DRY-LOOP' DSL account (good standing) bundled with an AT&T wireless account.

Next week I'm switching to Cable DSL. Will I be able to keep my "sbcglobal.net" email accounts after I cancel the AT&T DSL?

Please confirm. Thanks.
Yes

bearleft

@bellsouth.net
reply to pokeydsl

I decided to follow up with AT&T myself as I am getting all kinds of conflicting info on the web AND from phone support. Here's what I have in writing via chat:

jm838e(John Brown)
You can keep your e-mail address if the e-mail accounts are already migrated to Yahoo.

You
How long can I keep my email addresses active? is there a cut-off?

jm838e(John Brown)
If it is migrated to Yahoo, you can keep with you permanently.

You
But I've been reading conflicting information on the web and from phone support on this and wanted to clarify with you

jm838e(John Brown)
Based on the news we have received recently, if your e-mail is migrated to Yahoo, you will be able to keep it.

You
Do we have to make any special arrangements to keep the addresses if we have to cancel or do they just stay active automatically?

jm838e(John Brown)
They will stay active like a free e-mail address.

javaMan
The Dude abides.
Premium,MVM
join:2002-07-15
San Luis Obispo, CA
reply to pokeydsl

Frohike See Profile has the correct answer. People who have set up their accounts using the Yahoo supported services can keep their email addresses via Yahoo. That would not include people with pacbell.net et.al addresses.
--
Woe unto them that call evil good, and good evil; that put darkness for light, and light for darkness. . . Isa. 5:20

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
Premium,MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
kudos:11
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC

said by javaMan:

Frohike See Profile has the correct answer. People who have set up their accounts using the Yahoo supported services can keep their email addresses via Yahoo. That would not include people with pacbell.net et.al addresses.
That conflicts with what I understood Frohike See Profile to have said.

Can you, or can you not, keep a:

• ameritech.net
• att.net
• bellsouth.net
• flash.net
• nvbell.net
• pacbell.net
• prodigy.net
• sbcglobal.net
• snet.net
• swbell.net
• wans.net

... email address when leaving the service; assuming, of course, that any of those email addresses were "Yahoo! IDs", courtesy of migration.

at&t Yahoo! HSI ID

--
Norman
~Oh Lord, why have you come
~To Konnyu, with the Lion and the Drum

Logan 5
Enjoying the Cataclysm
Premium,MVM
Austin, TX
reply to pokeydsl

@NormanS:

The 5th post from the top if you've tried searching this thread and are confused has your answer:

said by frokike :
Yes this is true. As long as the account is not disconnected for a payment issue then the account will become a free account. It has to be an email that that can be accessed at the AT&T powered by Yahoo web portal (att.yahoo.com).

Email that is accessed via my.att.net does not apply to this.
So... as long as any of the accounts below meet this condition (Abuse of the TOS counts as well) then you should be able to keep it if you cancel your service:

• ameritech.net
• att.net
• bellsouth.net
• flash.net
• nvbell.net
• pacbell.net
• prodigy.net
• sbcglobal.net
• snet.net
• swbell.net
• wans.net

Just go to att.yahoo.com and sign in with an email address that ends in one of these and see for yourself...

I have an account that ends with @pacbell.net and I can access it just fine from the yahoo link....

I was confused at first just like you are now but it's really very simple:

Can be accessed from att.yahoo.com = GOOD!
Cannot be accessed from att.yahoo.com = BAD!! (You MUST keep a dialup account to access them if you leave)

Logan 5
Enjoying the Cataclysm
Premium,MVM
Austin, TX
reply to pokeydsl

@JavaMan:

You are incorrect. I have a pacbell.net account and I can access it from att.yahoo.com just fine which means if I ever leave AT&T I can keep my email address forever going through yahoo..

I don't get to keep using AT&T's POP3 service if I leave, but thats a small price to keep a 10+ year old email address forever...

It's not about the account, it's about if it can or can't be accessed through the yahoo portal page.

Frohike
Premium
Waxahachie, TX
reply to pokeydsl

Just to be clear:

Any of these domains migrated to Yahoo will be available for the free email service:

• ameritech.net
• att.net
• bellsouth.net
• flash.net
• nvbell.net
• pacbell.net
• prodigy.net
• sbcglobal.net
• snet.net
• swbell.net
• wans.net

If they are not migrated to Yahoo - then you do not get to keep them free.

How do I know if I can keep my email for free???
Go here: mail.yahoo.com and try to sign in with your email - if you can then are migrated to yahoo. If not then most likely have NOT been migrated.

Man - hope this clears this up =).

John_E
Premium
join:2004-02-03
Florissant, MO
reply to Logan 5

said by Logan 5:

@JavaMan:

I don't get to keep using AT&T's POP3 service if I leave, but that's a small price to keep a 10+ year old email address forever...
OK, understood about the free account not offering POP3. Would one be able to pay for a premium account and keep the old addy(s)?

In addition we have a main account and 3 sub-accounts. What then?

John in STL

Frohike
Premium
Waxahachie, TX

said by John_E:

said by Logan 5:

@JavaMan:

I don't get to keep using AT&T's POP3 service if I leave, but that's a small price to keep a 10+ year old email address forever...
OK, understood about the free account not offering POP3. Would one be able to pay for a premium account and keep the old addy(s)?

In addition we have a main account and 3 sub-accounts. What then?

John in STL
The subaccounts stay free as well.

IF you want to retain the ability to use POP3, then you can pay for the email as a dialup service.

robn77

join:2009-11-23

1 edit

So we should be able to use YPOPS! to access our free accounts after our account is transfered over to the free account.

Logan 5
Enjoying the Cataclysm
Premium,MVM
Austin, TX

said by robn77:

So we should be able to use YPOPS! to access our free accounts after our account is transfered over to the free account.
That depends on Yahoo and what they offer as far as POP3 forwarding of your yahoo account
--
There are 3 sides to every discussion: Mine, Yours & The Truth. Which side are YOU on?

Frohike
Premium
Waxahachie, TX
reply to robn77

said by robn77:

I have no idea what YPOPS! is - so I can't answer that.

NormanS
Premium,MVM
San Jose, CA
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC
reply to robn77

said by robn77:

In theory, yes. I've never had much success with 'YPOPS!', and similar devices, which act as HTTP-to-POP3 proxies. Yahoo! has a tendency to play games with such devices.
--
Norman

NormanS
Premium,MVM
San Jose, CA
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC
reply to Frohike

said by Frohike:

said by robn77:

I have no idea what YPOPS! is - so I can't answer that.
YPOPS! is a software application, a local proxy which provides "HTTP-to-POP3" conversion. You configure your POP3 server to access 'localhost:%port_nn%', which is the POP3 side of the proxy. You configure YPOPS! to access your web mail account, which is the HTTP side of the proxy.

I've found such 'shims' to be unreliable; especially with Yahoo!, because the web mail host is constantly putting in roadblocks to such proxy access.
--
Norman

robn77

Yeah... tried the program today on one of my bellsouth accounts and I noticed that the program takes up alot of resources. And I could download a free yahoo e-mail account but not one of my bellsouth e-mail accounts.

So when we make the e-mail free, does Yahoo own it or does AT&T? Could we then upgrade the e-mail to the Yahoo Mail Plus account for 19.99 per year and get POP access?

tonydi
Premium,MVM
join:2001-05-11
San Jose, CA

I'm just amazed that we've got 5 pages of posts from people who are desperate to keep what has to be the worst excuse for an email service out there!

nwrickert
sand groper
Premium,MVM
join:2004-09-04
Geneva, IL
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse

It's not the service that they care about. It's the email address, and the fact that they have many correspondents using that address to contact them.
--
AT&T Uverse; Zyxel NBG334W router (behind the 2wire gateway); openSuSE 11.0; firefox 3.0.15

robn77

Correct!

Replaced my IFITL DSL service that will never be upgraded past 1.5/384 to Cable. Problem is that I have had Bellsouth/AT&T for 10 years. Not that I like cable, but they are much faster.

I am transitioning to gmail but my wife resists change and is upset that she may lose her bellsouth.net e-mail

tonydi
Premium,MVM
join:2001-05-11
San Jose, CA
reply to nwrickert

Yeah, I understand that. But as much of a pain as changing addresses is, dealing with the day in/day out problems that Yahoo serves up is a much bigger pain. If people really cared about having a permanent address, they'd take advantage of the extremely low costs involved in getting their own domain with email hosting.

robn77

reply to pokeydsl

So I just was on the phone with DSL Cancelation Department and the first level person and her supervisor and they said that my email would go away.

I currently do not have phone service (I previously did but converted to a dry line) and want to cancel my DSL and keep my email addresses Who do I call as the DSL department does not know how to do it.