Tursiops_G
Technoid
Premium,MVM
join:2002-02-06
Norwalk, CT
kudos:1

1 edit
reply to peter_m

Re: Undersized Power supplies from Linksys.

Just adding a little perspective to this discussion...

Yes, the evidence presented here so far, indicates that the Linksys OEM 1 Amp PS is deficient (and possibly even a 2 Amp unit, as well...)

As to the Actual Cost of the various replacement PSUs available from 12vAdapters.com (Prices are + Shipping and Handling, and are all the Same at $6.99 US, $8.99 CA):
»www.12vadapters.com/categories

1A (Linear): $14.99
1.25A (SMPS): $14.99
2A (SMPS): $16.99
2.5A (SMPS): $16.99
3A (SMPS): $16.99
3.5A (SMPS): $17.99
4A (SMPS): $18.99
5A (SMPS): $19.99
6A (SMPS): $22.99

I Do Agree that the 5A PSU may indeed be a bit of "Overkill", but at THESE prices, Unless someone here decides to try out the 3A-4A PSUs, and post their results to this Forum, the 5A unit is worth the extra $2-3...

-Tursiops_G.
--
If You're Unsure, "RTFM"... If You're SURE, "RTFM" Anyway.

Anonymous_
Anonymous
Premium
join:2004-06-21
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable

said by Tursiops_G:

Just adding a little perspective to this discussion...

Yes, the evidence presented here so far, indicates that the Linksys OEM 1 Amp PS is deficient (and possibly even a 2 Amp unit, as well...)

As to the Actual Cost of the various replacement PSUs available from 12vAdapters.com (Prices are + Shipping and Handling, and are all the Same at $6.99 US, $8.99 CA):
»www.12vadapters.com/categories

1A (Linear): $14.99
1.25A (SMPS): $14.99
2A (SMPS): $16.99
2.5A (SMPS): $16.99
3A (SMPS): $16.99
3.5A (SMPS): $17.99
4A (SMPS): $18.99
5A (SMPS): $19.99
6A (SMPS): $22.99

I Do Agree that the 5A PSU may indeed be a bit of "Overkill", but at THESE prices, Unless someone here decides to try out the 3A-4A PSUs, and post their results to this Forum, the 5A unit is worth the extra $2-3...

-Tursiops_G.
UM why not power it with the computer i have done this before

with my linksys wrt54g v 1.0 25amps of power that it can use

dellsweig
Extreme Aerobatics
Premium,MVM
join:2003-12-10
Campbell Hall, NY

no reason why you cant use the PS from your PC - as long as you dont exceed the 12V number.

The bottom line here

the stock PS that comes with the Linksys and other vendors is too small and most likely is causeing many of the issues (signal loss, reboots, bad signal, etc) seen in this and other forums.

A CHEAP and simple solution is to replace it with a PS that has the resources to correctly power your router.

Tursiops_G
Technoid
Premium,MVM
join:2002-02-06
Norwalk, CT

1 edit
reply to Anonymous_

Powering it from the PC's PSU is another option (provided that your PSU isn't already being loaded close to the Max, that is.)

The Downside of doing so, is that the "Source" PC MUST be powered-up 24/7 in order to provide +12v to the Router... A bit of a hassle when you may only want to connect Wirelessly via a Laptop/PDA/Game, etc., or from a Different (wired) PC elsewhere on the LAN...

-Tursiops_G.
--
If You're Unsure, "RTFM"... If You're SURE, "RTFM" Anyway.

Anonymous_
Anonymous
Premium
join:2004-06-21
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable

1 edit

said by Tursiops_G:

Powering it from the PC's PSU is another option (provided that your PSU isn't already being loaded close to the Max, that is.)

The Downside of doing so, is that the "Source" PC MUST be powered-up 24/7 in order to provide +12v to the Router... A bit of a hassle when you may only want to connect Wirelessly via a Laptop/PDA/Game, etc., or from a Different (wired) PC elsewhere on the LAN...

-Tursiops_G.
nah i would just get a used PSU(wall wart type) at the local thrift shop they have a huge selection
upto 36volt DC/AC

drjim
Premium,MVM
join:2000-06-13
Long Beach, CA
kudos:3
reply to dellsweig

A *discrete* RF choke, or a ferrite filter?

dellsweig
Extreme Aerobatics
Premium,MVM
join:2003-12-10
Campbell Hall, NY

said by drjim:

A *discrete* RF choke, or a ferrite filter?
about a 1 inch diamerter loop

public

join:2002-01-19
Santa Clara, CA
reply to dellsweig

said by dellsweig:

the stock PS that comes with the Linksys and other vendors is too small and most likely is causeing many of the issues (signal loss, reboots, bad signal, etc) seen in this and other forums.
Actually the WRT54gl can operate with 12V/0.5A
The problem is that the cheap wall cubes use inferior components and do not deliver 0.5A dc for long.

koitsu
Premium,MVM
join:2002-07-16
Mountain View, CA
kudos:23
reply to dellsweig

I just wanted to add that the WRTSL54GS (v1.0) also includes a 12V 1A PSU -- I personally verified -- so it would also be susceptible to this problem.
--
Making life hard for others since 1977.
I speak for myself and not my employer/affiliates of my employer.