how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

accounting8

join:2008-02-29
Columbus, OH

Is 222 MHz still used much ?

I was wondering if the 222 MHz band is used much anymore. I see a lot of 2 meter, and 440 MHz radios around, and even 1.2 GHz radios, but I hardly ever see any 222 MHz radios for sale. Is this band not as active as 2 meters or 440 MHz. I only have a 2 meter rig, so I was never really sure.

alphapointe
Don't Touch Me
Premium,MVM
join:2002-02-10
Columbia, MO
kudos:2

Here in Columbia, it's mostly used for linking and repeater control. We don't have any 220MHz repeaters within 100 miles that I know of.

n1zuk
making really tiny tech things
Premium
join:2001-10-24
Malta
reply to accounting8

As alphapointe notes, the 1.2M band is mostly used for repeater control. You also see it used a bit during the ARRL VHF contests, on SSB and CW.

The main things that hurt the popularity of 220Mhz is the availability of equipment, and worries about losing privileges on the band.

220Mhz is really only available for the ITU 2 region (and that being North America). While it is a big market, most amateur radio equipment on the market is manufactured by companies in Asia. They were always less than enthusiastic to commit to making a lot of equipment capable of using the band.

Then there was the question if petitions to reallocate parts of 220MHz to other services was going to happen. People were hesitant to buy equipment that they may not be able to use (or resell) if this happened.
--
New to Forum Life? Click here and learn.

battleop

join:2005-09-28
reply to accounting8

We have a couple of 222Mhz repeaters here and most of the repeaters here have their control links on 222. I think it's regional. Some areas have no activity on 222 while some are very active. Chattanooga isn't that active on 222 but Dalton GA has a pretty active 222 group.

Phillip
I Need A Nap

join:2004-12-21
Hatboro, PA
reply to accounting8

1.25M band is suppose to kind of replace the 70CM band in the southern part of California and Nevada/Arizona because of the pave paws radar system.

There was a big write up about on the ARRL's website, that basically said that all of the repeaters on the 70CM band that were close to the radar site were to shut down due to interfering with the pave paws system, and they could put them back up on the 1.25M band.

As for my area, we have a few around here and they due get used at least once a week by the local VHF club for there meetings. And I think they wound up building there own 220 equipment since its hard to get.

»www.packratvhf.com/

mattmag
Premium,ExMod 2000-03
join:2000-04-09
NW Illinois
kudos:3
reply to accounting8

When I used to operate a PacketCluster DX Node, I used 220MHz as a long-range link to a downstream node in the cluster. Other than that, as noted it generally isn't used for much else. I did find it to be a reliable link, using a long-boom Yagi.

anon9876111

@charter.com
reply to alphapointe

said by alphapointe:

Here in Columbia, it's mostly used for linking and repeater control. We don't have any 220MHz repeaters within 100 miles that I know of.
alphapointe: there is one in Belle, MO a few miles south of you.

GeekNJ
Premium
join:2000-09-23
Waldwick, NJ
Reviews:
·Optimum Online
·Verizon FiOS
reply to alphapointe

You can see 220 repeaters in MO by going to
»www.levinecentral.com/repeaters/···&BP125=1

or if you want to see them around Columbia, MO you can go to
»www.levinecentral.com/repeaters/···iles=100
and see them within 100 miles.
--
Tweaked your connection? | Mail Parse | Speed Converter

burner50
Proud Union THUG
Premium
join:2002-06-05
Fort Worth, TX
kudos:1
reply to accounting8

Alphapointe, The map says there are 220mhz machines in Eldon (224.58 - ) and Sedalia (224.44 - )

alphapointe
Don't Touch Me
Premium,MVM
join:2002-02-10
Columbia, MO

Thanks. I can't use the map.

I have no 220mhz equipment anymore, so it doesn't matter, but I was curious.

burner50
Proud Union THUG
Premium
Fort Worth, TX

said by alphapointe:

Thanks. I can't use the map.
I figured...

KA3SGM
- -... ...- -
Premium
join:2006-01-17
West Chester, PA
Reviews:
·Comcast
·Cricket Broadband
·Verizon FiOS
reply to accounting8

I have a Kenwood TM-321A for 222, but don't have a functional antenna for it.

The last time I had checked, there were still some 222 repeaters operating my area (Southeastern PA), but there was very little activity on them.

(Probably why I don't have a 222 antenna)

They used to cross link 220 to 2m or 440 so Novice operators could gain access to repeaters beyond their Voice allocation on 220,
but that in more recent years has become almost a moot point.

I had a Cushcraft 220 Ringo-Ranger, but I sold it to a Novice op probably 15 years ago.....

A know a lot of hams became demoralized when the FCC re-allocated the 220-222 portion of the band to Land Mobile radio,
(Something specific for United Parcel Service), but I don't think UPS actually put the band to use the way they proposed,
and it is just used for Business Land Mobile today.

There has since been the long lasting fear that the FCC would come back and simply take the rest of the band.

Maybe I should build up a $0.99 222 Quarter Wave ground plane antenna with a Type-N Female chassis connector and some brass or copper rod, and give a listen to what, if anything, is happening on 222.

One thing I have done with my old TM-321 in recent years, was to open it up and replace the dead Lithium battery that keeps the memory presets,
sprayed the Switches and Pots with some Deox-It contact cleaner, and replaced the RG58 coax and SO-239 connector with LMR240 UltraFlex and an N-Connector.

Also replaced the stock 12v power connector with an ARES/RACES standard "Power-Pole" connector as well.

I only tested it with a dummy load, but it puts out the same 25-30 watts that it did when it was new.

The rig is completely good to go, but there may be no one left to talk to on it.
--
ROCK TIL' SUNSET

fifty nine

join:2002-09-25
Sussex, NJ
reply to accounting8

said by accounting8:

I was wondering if the 222 MHz band is used much anymore. I see a lot of 2 meter, and 440 MHz radios around, and even 1.2 GHz radios, but I hardly ever see any 222 MHz radios for sale. Is this band not as active as 2 meters or 440 MHz. I only have a 2 meter rig, so I was never really sure.
You won't find 222MHz being used much because it's largely a US only band.

A few other countries have it, but most don't, and Japan definitely doesn't.

About the only company really making a radio meant for the ham market for it these days is Alinco.

drjim
Premium,MVM
join:2000-06-13
Long Beach, CA
kudos:3
reply to accounting8

We have a large group of linked repeaters out here in California called the Condor Connection.
When my son was taking the Gordon West classes, Gordo took his 220 HT out in the parking lot, and was talking to some guy working on his ranch somewhere in Northern California.
The kids were suitably impressed!
»www.condor-connection.org/
--
One man's Magic is another man's Engineering.

accounting8

Columbus, OH
reply to fifty nine

There is this 222 MHz radio I just came across...
»universal-radio.com/catalog/fm_t···220.html

burner50
Proud Union THUG
Premium
Fort Worth, TX

I saw that, And I've never really heard of Jetstream before....

GeekNJ
Premium
Waldwick, NJ

I've heard of Jetstream. I *think* they just started making radios but had made power supplies, coax switches, HT & mobile antennas, etc. I had seen them for sale by commercial vendors at local flea markets.

fifty nine

Sussex, NJ

2 edits
reply to burner50

Jetstream basically resells other manufacturer's products under their own brand name.

For example, Jetstream antennas are identical to diamond antennas and sell for less than half the price.

The jetstream rig appears to be very similar to the Alinco DR-235. I wouldn't be surprised it were the same board with just a different face.

DaytonFMGroup

@sbcglobal.net

Hi every one. Jetstream is sold mainly through R and L Electronics in Hamilton Ohio. Some other stores sell some of the Jetstream line. Check out their website at www.randl.com

I just got the Jetstream 220 mhz radio and it seems pretty nice. It serves my purpose and that is to talk through the 220 systems around Dayton. Yes, I have a 220 repeater in Dayton and it has been in service since 1992. I have it down a lot now as I work on the system. It is old and I want to switch out the controller and do other upgrades to it.

Have fun on 220 MHZ! I am not a regular on here so I may never see your replies to this message. 73 Tim KB8CSL@AOL.COM

accounting8

Columbus, OH

What antenna are you using for your 222 MHz radio?

fifty nine

Sussex, NJ
reply to DaytonFMGroup

said by DaytonFMGroup :

Hi every one. Jetstream is sold mainly through R and L Electronics in Hamilton Ohio. Some other stores sell some of the Jetstream line. Check out their website at www.randl.com
George K2ZZ of Radio Oasis also sells Jetstream. I love the Jetstream power supplies! 28 amps in a compact size, about the size of a hardcover book. You can pack it in your carry on luggage with a small radio like an Icom 706 or 7000 for portable hamming in a hotel room or similar.

GeekNJ
Premium
Waldwick, NJ
Reviews:
·Optimum Online
·Verizon FiOS

George is very reputable and always at the area hamfests. He doesn't have a store front but does all his sales online or at hamfests. I've bought many items from him, all at hamfests.

He actually lives not too far from my sister-in-law and he even volunteered to drop something off there that he didn't have with him at a hamfest that I was interested in. A true ham as well as a credible retailer.
--
Tweaked your connection? | Mail Parse | Speed Converter

DFMG

@sbcglobal.net
reply to accounting8

I have the BR10 NMO on my roof. It is made by Comet or Diamond.