uniqs
share rss forum feed

Mivoc

join:2009-04-03
Mesa, AZ
Reviews:
·Cox HSI

[AZ] Unstable internet connection.

Lately I have been experiencing intermittent connection issues.

First problem I have been having is apparent packet loss or "lag spikes."

This is noticeable when browsing websites. Pages will not load sometimes or I will have to try clicking a link several times before the page loads.

This problem is also noticeable when talking in ventrilo. I will randomly lose connection to vent, people talking will randomly start having huge delays when speaking and the program has to catch up.

The last thing these lag spikes are causing problems with is online gaming. My ping will randomly spike up to the point where games will freeze up completely and I get disconnected from servers. This happens in games like world of warcraft, counter-strike, etc... Any game that requires a stable internet connection to play.

The second problem I have been having is with bandwidth. This is mostly noticeable in the afternoon. I am supposed to have a 20mbps connection speed, which I do depending on the time of the day. Most of the time I get 20mbps, other times of the day my connection is capped at 5-6 mbps or worse. The weird thing is when my download speeds get really low my upstream skyrockets up to like 6 mbps, that is double what I am supposed to be getting for upstream.

If anyone else has been having these kind of issues lately in the Phoenix, Arizona region please post here. I have a friend in Tempe with Cox that doesn't even come online much anymore due to connection instabilities.

CulDeSac

join:2007-12-01
Chandler, AZ
Stable connections here in SE Chandler (Gilbert/Riggs area). Current connection speeds are:

Mivoc

Mesa, AZ

1 recommendation

Thanks for the useless response. I am asking for people who are actually having problems. Not people who live in BFE all alone on their node.

bowlingblogg

join:2006-06-05
Tucson, AZ

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
Premium,MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
kudos:12
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC
reply to Mivoc
said by Mivoc:

If anyone else has been having these kind of issues lately in the Phoenix, Arizona region please post here. I have a friend in Tempe with Cox that doesn't even come online much anymore due to connection instabilities.
Is there any way to narrow your request down to a specific CMTS? I am guessing that there are more people in Phoenix than connected to your particular CMTS; any congestion issues would be limited to co-subscribers on the congested CMTS.
--
Norman
~Oh Lord, why have you come
~To Konnyu, with the Lion and the Drum

dvd536
as Mr. Pink as they come
Premium
join:2001-04-27
Phoenix, AZ
kudos:4
reply to Mivoc
said by Mivoc:

Thanks for the useless response. I am asking for people who are actually having problems. Not people who live in BFE all alone on their node.
Let me guess: your downstream frequency is 579000000 Hz.
--
When I gez aju zavateh na nalechoo more new yonooz tonigh molinigh - Ken Lee

CoxTech1
VIP
join:2002-04-25
Chesapeake, VA
kudos:79
reply to Mivoc
If you want to PM me the modem's MAC address I can check things on this end for you.

Mivoc

Mesa, AZ
reply to dvd536
How did you know dvd536? My frequency is 579000000 Hz.

dvd536
as Mr. Pink as they come
Premium
join:2001-04-27
Phoenix, AZ
kudos:4
said by Mivoc:

How did you know dvd536? My frequency is 579000000 Hz.
Because i'm experiencing the same issues after being moved FROM 573000000 to 579000000. and i had the same issues before when i was on 579000000 which went away when i was moved to 573000000.
apparently they need 573 for D3.
--
When I gez aju zavateh na nalechoo more new yonooz tonigh molinigh - Ken Lee

spardok

join:2008-03-13
Phoenix, AZ
reply to Mivoc
Same issue as OP, Phoenix AZ. 26th av. Carefree HW.

CoxTech1
VIP
join:2002-04-25
Chesapeake, VA
kudos:79
If you want to PM me your modem's MAC address I'll take a look for you.

tjenk6889

join:2006-06-07
Mesa, AZ
reply to dvd536
For the past week and a half my speeds have been all over the place, some as low as 6 mbps and as high as 17 mbps,
i have the new cisco dpc 3000 and the new service.
as far as the 573000000 or 579000000 i have the 573000000
and still am having wild speed swings.
one thing i would suggest that all of you who have the new priemer + service keep after the billing department to make sure that you are not charged the extra $20 for the new service until it is really there.
you will have to call customer support and speek to a tech (?)
and have him record that you are still haveing bad service, then have the tech switch you to billing and make sure that the bill is corrected. if you don't you will be out the money
and will have a fight to get it back..
to COXTECH1 thanks for checking my modem

MrPsycho6

join:2002-06-19
Scottsdale, AZ
reply to Mivoc
I am also experiencing this same problem and have noticed it for the past week or two. I figured it was a DNS issue because it seems to manifest itself when resolving a new host by clicking a link, however, these micro-timeouts make perfect sense.

How do I look up my downstream frequency?

tubbynet
reminds me of the danse russe
Premium,MVM
join:2008-01-16
Chandler, AZ
kudos:1

1 edit
said by MrPsycho6:

How do I look up my downstream frequency?
the downstream frequency is *not* your issue. just because you have 579mhz over 573mhz does not automatically imply that you will have problems on your line, regardless of what other users will say on this forum.

you will need to post your signal levels (i suggest another thread as to keep things separaate) and we can work through the issues as they appear.

q.

[edit] spelling, as always....

--
"...if I in my north room dance naked, grotesquely before my mirror waving my shirt round my head and singing softly to myself..."

Indiglow

join:2002-05-16
Chandler, AZ
My internet connection use to be rock solid but the last couple of months my internet goes down and will not come back no matter how much I unplug the modem router and computer. Now the issue is a daily occurrence. I am running the Cox Premier with powerboost.

Name
WebSTAR DPC2100R2
Modem Serial Number
Hardware Version
Software Version
v2.0.2r1256-060303
Receive Power Level
-6.2 dBmV
Transmit Power Level
57.0 dBmV
Cable Modem Status
Operational

I am also using a D-Link DGL-4300 router. Any help will be appreciated.

tubbynet
Premium,MVM
Chandler, AZ
said by Indiglow:

My internet connection use to be rock solid but the last couple of months my internet goes down and will not come back no matter how much I unplug the modem router and computer. Now the issue is a daily occurrence. I am running the Cox Premier with powerboost.

Name
WebSTAR DPC2100R2
Modem Serial Number
Hardware Version
Software Version
v2.0.2r1256-060303
Receive Power Level
-6.2 dBmV
Transmit Power Level
57.0 dBmV
Cable Modem Status
Operational

I am also using a D-Link DGL-4300 router. Any help will be appreciated.
signal levels are *way* out of spec. roll a truck to correct them...

q
--
"...if I in my north room dance naked, grotesquely before my mirror waving my shirt round my head and singing softly to myself..."

Indiglow

join:2002-05-16
Chandler, AZ
What is the normal spec suppose to be? My speeds seem to run fine though.

MySpeed Results at »test.lvcm.com/
Download 21,415,288 bps
Upload 2,903,704 bps

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
Premium,MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
kudos:12
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC
Receive power level at -6.2 dBmV is not out of spec; but closer to 0 dBmV is better.

Transmit power level at 57.0 dBmV is just plain out of spec (I believe the DOCSIS max is 55.0 dBmV).

I suspect that, whatever they do to address the xmit power level may also tame the rcv power level.
--
Norman
~Oh Lord, why have you come
~To Konnyu, with the Lion and the Drum

tubbynet
Premium,MVM
Chandler, AZ
reply to Indiglow
said by Indiglow:

What is the normal spec suppose to be? My speeds seem to run fine though.

MySpeed Results at »test.lvcm.com/
Download 21,415,288 bps
Upload 2,903,704 bps
signal levels do not always manifest in speed issues. the fact that you are teetering on the low end of the receive limit and your transmit is way too high, your modem may just "lose contact" with the cmts.
think of it this way. you are your cable modem and some other person is a cmts. normally, you two talk to each other just fine. you don't have to yell to hear each other. when your signal levels are out of spec, its like you have moved far away from one another. because of this, you have to scream to communicate. if the wind comes up or shifts, you may not hear what they are trying to say. this is the same for signal levels; if you are at a level in which the cable modem and cmts are having to "scream" at each other to be heard, then any slight variation or interference on the line will cause the modem and cmts to lose their communication (hence the dropouts).

q.
--

jsmiddleton4

join:2003-11-13
Glendale, AZ
reply to Mivoc
"roll a truck to correct them..."

It is most likely you need to have Cox field staff get to your site and check your home, nodes, infrastructure, etc. However I am going to split a hair here. A "truck roll" may or may not fix anything. The way the Cox dance works is they will work to eliminate variables until it is clear what the problem really is. A truck roll is required to start that dance. It is possible that one truck roll will fix your issues. It is also possible one truck roll will not fix your issues. It is just the way it is. Not judging it. Am trying to point out what realistic expectations for end users need to be.

You are responsible to make sure your service is acceptable to you, for what you are paying for it. That may require more than one truck roll and for you to invest some of the energy to create the inertia to get the matter resolved.

Cox will accept whatever you accept as "acceptable". Sorry but that is the way it works.

If your service is crappy but you are satisfied, Cox is not going to fix what they don't have to fix.

daveinpoway
Premium
join:2006-07-03
Poway, CA
kudos:2
I can recall reading here (probably about a year ago) that Cox was being proactive (at least in one area- I think it was Las Vegas) and sending out notices to subscribers if improper signal levels were observed, even if it seemed that the subscribers weren't noticing any problems.

Not sure if they are still doing this.

jsmiddleton4

Glendale, AZ
Wouldn't that be nice. Not so in Arizona. Pretty much customers complaining drives the process in terms of indentifying problems.

tubbynet
Premium,MVM
Chandler, AZ
said by jsmiddleton4:

Wouldn't that be nice. Not so in Arizona. Pretty much customers complaining drives the process in terms of indentifying problems.
right, because *all* problems manifest themselves in something that can be seen by the typical snmp monitoring tools

/sarcasm

q.
--

hnau

join:2008-03-07
Phoenix, AZ

1 edit
reply to Mivoc
This problem just started happening yesterday for me, and I've since had 3 disconnects total.

You can watch the packet loss build up until the connection finally drops out:

I am also located in Chandler near Arizona Ave. / Ray Rd. Also locked to 579MHz downstream. My signal levels are well within spec.

jsmiddleton4

Glendale, AZ
reply to tubbynet
"right, because *all* problems manifest themselves in something that can be seen by the typical snmp monitoring tools."

It is odd that by pointing out the evidence that demonstrates the snmp monitoring has issues some how I'm lying, or "claiming" things. I guess its hard for folks to give up firmly held assumptions.

tubbynet
Premium,MVM
Chandler, AZ
said by jsmiddleton4:

I guess its hard for folks to give up firmly held assumptions.
you asked for proactive monitoring of situations. there is only so much that can be seen with monitoring tools, especially when you have to (more than likely) trade-off the amount of reporting you do based on the limited bandwidth of the cable nodes and the geographic sprawl of an hfc cable plant. not all problems manifest themselves in something that can be seen in monitoring, or (in the case of t3 timeouts) a threshold can't always be set because there is no given number that determines a "problem".
no solution is perfect and it is up to the user to accurately gauge that what they are receiving is appropriate for what they are paying. simple as that.

q.
--

duomenox
Daren
Premium
join:2001-06-14
Tempe, AZ
reply to Mivoc
SAME EXACT ISSUES in the South Mountain area of Phoenix.
Very disappointed with Cox tech support as they have no answers for me and tell me they need to get a tech onsite.

I had one come onsite. He was a contractor and said he couldn't help. I had a stable connection but my speeds were:

6.88 mbps down
373 kbps up

(tested from test.lvcm.com)

I pay for Premiere service, so I am frustrated with the continuous inability of Cox to do anything but say I need to have a tech come out. I guarantee that the issue is not in my home, or with any of my equipment.

I've been a loyal Cox customer since 1999, moved quite a bit and Cox has never been this terrible in both speed and customer service.

Is there anything that a support rep can do for me on here? I am at wits end. I work from home and this issue is crippling my ability to take calls over my corporate VoIP phone.

Thank you,
Daren

needforspeed59
Cruise Ship Just Passing Through

join:2001-05-02
La Place, LA
Doumenox, I hope you get your speed issue resolved, but 6.88M down and 373k up should be plenty for VoIP. Are you having other issues?
--
Great success! High five!

jsmiddleton4

Glendale, AZ
reply to tubbynet
Tubby,

"you asked for proactive monitoring of situations."

I didn't ask for anything. Said it would be nice if someone would monitor improper signal levels. Improper signal levels and the tools being used to monitor node overloading aren't the same tools.

If you are going to take a shot at me tubby at least pay some attention to details.

reply to Mivoc
Well I too am having the same problems. Had a Cox contractor come out to the house and he didn't find anything wrong. Signals looked good etc. What is the next step in resolving this issue? Any help would be greatly appreciated.