Premium
join:2002-05-21
kudos:2

1 edit
reply to SirMeowmix_III

Re: pandora

Re: pandora's remarks -

I'm creating a new acronym for such posts/posters -
JAMS: Just Another Microsoft Shill, who rarely if ever visits this forum, who's purpose when doing so is to disrupt a valuable thread by attempting to promote MS while attempting to denigrate Linux while simultaneously demonstrating their own personal ignorance for all to see.

pandora
Premium
join:2001-06-01
Outland
Reviews:
·ooma
·Google Voice
·Comcast
·Future Nine Corp..

said by SUMware:

Re: pandora's remarks -

I'm creating a new acronym for such posts/posters -
JAMS: Just Another Microsoft Shill, who rarely if ever visits this forum, who's purpose when doing so is to disrupt a valuable thread by attempting to promote MS while attempting to denigrate Linux while simultaneously demonstrating their own personal ignorance for all to see.
Nope, I'm new to Linux, have posted here before and am getting my feet wet. I realize that to some, my not being hostile toward Microsoft makes me a shill ... but it isn't the case. I described my install experience. It is a legitimate experience. I wish the Fedora documentation had pointed me toward the Microsoft checksum software. It would have made my install easier.

Is mentioning that some may want a checksum application from a trusted source to verify an ISO really being a shill? Is that really putting down Linux?
--
"People demand freedom of speech as a compensation for the freedom of thought which they seldom use."

nwrickert
sand groper
Premium,MVM
join:2004-09-04
Geneva, IL
kudos:7
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse

I realize that to some, my not being hostile toward Microsoft makes me a shill ... but it isn't the case.
I am not hostile toward Microsoft, and nobody has called me a shill.

Your problem is that you are hostile toward linux. Since you might be looking for help in the future, I suggest you work on that attitude.
Is mentioning that some may want a checksum application from a trusted source to verify an ISO really being a shill?
There are checksum applications out there. The only question is what would you consider a trusted source.

In the real world, trust develops with experience. You have to begin with only tentative trust. And then that trust can grow if the trust seems to have been justified. I have no more reason to trust Microsoft than you have to trust some of the open sources. But I manage to tentatively trust them, and my computers are dual-boot between Microsoft systems and linux. It's the way the world is. As Reagan put it "trust but verify". That means giving tentative trust but monitoring how things work out.
--
AT&T dsl; Speedstream 5100b modem; Zyxel NBG334W router; openSuSE 11.0; firefox 3.0.11

pandora
Premium
join:2001-06-01
Outland
Reviews:
·ooma
·Google Voice
·Comcast
·Future Nine Corp..

said by nwrickert:

IYour problem is that you are hostile toward linux. Since you might be looking for help in the future, I suggest you work on that attitude.
This reply is being typed on Opera 10 running on under Fedora 11. I chose to install Linux on my PC. So please tell me how hostile I am to it again.

Coming from Windows to Linux, I think it is worth sharing my initial experience. So far other than 2 problems, Linux has installed relatively easily. I was even able to get Opera installed without any grief.
--
"People demand freedom of speech as a compensation for the freedom of thought which they seldom use."

nwrickert
sand groper
Premium,MVM
join:2004-09-04
Geneva, IL
kudos:7

I'm glad it is working out for you. And yes, you have avoided that hostile tone in your latest post.
--
AT&T dsl; Speedstream 5100b modem; Zyxel NBG334W router; openSuSE 11.0; firefox 3.0.11

SUMware
Premium
join:2002-05-21
reply to pandora

said by pandora:

I realize that to some, my not being hostile toward Microsoft makes me a shill ... but it isn't the case.
Correct. It's your posted hostility towards, and ignorance & disparagement of Linux that does.
said by pandora:

This is an example of the weakness of the Linux model.

In the Windows world, we are taught it is dangerous to download content from an untrusted site, as it could contain harmful software. By converse here in the Linux world, we are taught we are to trust downloading dangerous content from trusted sites. Somehow we are told this is an improvement over the Windows model.

The Linux model seems to revolve around downloading any junk from any site and assuming it is all good, because if any of it was bad, someone, somewhere, should have read the source, because you see that is the beauty of open source.

At least with the Windows model, we know dangerous software can be downloaded and cause grief. As a result there is a vibrant security community. With Linux, when dangerous updates and upgrades create security vulnerabilities, instead of a means of repair, it seems the status quo is to bad mouth users while at the same time claiming superiority.

Linux - Download from Tom, Dick or Harry and assume all is well.
Windows - Download from Microsoft and assume all is well.
Gee, which model makes more sense ... let me think.

I just don't get it. There seem to be many circular stupidities going on with Linux. I'm thinking of writing about my Linux install experience in a post. The problem will be limiting the number of Linux stupidities I write about or else I'll be creating a book.
said by pandora:

I just don't get it.
Correct.