Derspankster
Premium Member
join:2003-02-12
Marion, OH

1 recommendation

Derspankster

Premium Member

(Rant) Had it with Compiz

I've finally had my fill of Compiz and all it's bugs. After spending way too much time trying to solve issues with it, I've finally gotten rid of it. While I kind of liked some of the window decorations, I've seen enough of spinning cubes and system lockups.

Just had to get that off my chest.

SirMeowmix_III
@windstream.net

SirMeowmix_III

Anon

I tend to not run Compiz either, honestly, I don't care for all the eye candy. I want efficiency.

donoreo
Premium Member
join:2002-05-30
North York, ON

1 recommendation

donoreo to Derspankster

Premium Member

to Derspankster
I looked at it the first time. Then shut it off all the time now. Serves no productive purpose.

bluedemon
Reduce blood pressure. Ignore trolls
join:2000-07-29
Sunderland, MA

1 recommendation

bluedemon to Derspankster

to Derspankster
Completely agree. The developers need to start thinking about endusers and not about gee whizz effects

firephoto
Truth and reality matters
Premium Member
join:2003-03-18
Brewster, WA

firephoto to Derspankster

Premium Member

to Derspankster
I don't use compiz but with KDE4 the only composting effects that I find myself using daily is the live-preview with alt+tab, transparency while moving a window and maybe the expose effect if I have a lot of windows open. If I used multiple workspaces then the effect when scrolling to them on the desktop would be more handy that it is now when accidently scrolling outside a window.

So far I haven't ran into anything that's caused kwin or X to crash and there's various other little bits of the composting doing things all the time with normal actions... the gee whizz.

rexbinary
MOD King
Premium Member
join:2005-01-26
Plano, TX
·Frontier FiberOp..

rexbinary to Derspankster

Premium Member

to Derspankster
The issues I have seen with it are problems enabling vertical sync in 3D games or watching movies, and some Eee PCs won't resume from suspend/hibernation with it enabled.

When it's enabled by default in Fedora I'll consider using it.

Tuxified
Premium Member
join:2009-01-04

1 recommendation

Tuxified to Derspankster

Premium Member

to Derspankster
It can be fun for about 15 minutes, then it becomes a annoyance IMO.

EUS
Kill cancer
Premium Member
join:2002-09-10
canada

EUS to Derspankster

Premium Member

to Derspankster
I never liked it much. Caused instability in an otherwise extremely stable distro.

Anub1s
join:2003-05-04
Cleveland, OH

Anub1s to rexbinary

to rexbinary
said by rexbinary:

The issues I have seen with it are problems enabling vertical sync in 3D games
That is the only issue I ever had with it. Because I don't game, it really was no issue at all.

Now that I'm trying to commit to KDE4.3, I use KWIN, and it has COMPLETELY replaced Compiz. KWIN on my GF's KDE4.2 desktop has yet to crash. My KDE4.3RC1 crashes when windows "Explode" sometimes.

With the resources most of our machines have, I find it quite amusing to read complaints about eye candy. Dual/Quads, 4Gs+ Ram. I can definitely handle and appreciate a little more sweets.;)

Brano
I hate Vogons
MVM
join:2002-06-25
Burlington, ON

1 edit

Brano to Derspankster

MVM

to Derspankster
never mind

Derspankster
Premium Member
join:2003-02-12
Marion, OH

Derspankster to Anub1s

Premium Member

to Anub1s
said by Anub1s:
said by rexbinary:

The issues I have seen with it are problems enabling vertical sync in 3D games
That is the only issue I ever had with it. Because I don't game, it really was no issue at all.

Now that I'm trying to commit to KDE4.3, I use KWIN, and it has COMPLETELY replaced Compiz. KWIN on my GF's KDE4.2 desktop has yet to crash. My KDE4.3RC1 crashes when windows "Explode" sometimes.

With the resources most of our machines have, I find it quite amusing to read complaints about eye candy. Dual/Quads, 4Gs+ Ram. I can definitely handle and appreciate a little more sweets.;)
Yes, I should have the horsepower to run just about anything but it's obviously not a lack of hardware resources that causes my problems. Like I said, I've chased my tail on this long enough - Metacity is just fine.