spc
Search similar:

uniqs
Nobbie16
join:2000-09-28
Jersey City, NJ

Nobbie16

Goodbye Speakeasy

I've finally made the jump to Comcast Business Internet here in Jersey City, NJ. While the past 4 years with Speakeasy have been good, they can no longer compete on speed and price. ADSL+ just isn't good enough, and my distance to the CO doesn't allow much benefit.

Ordered 12/2 from Comcast with 1 static IPs for $59.95/month. A /29 block (5 IP addresses) took it up to $79.95. Lo and behold Comcast upgraded automatically all accounts in this area to double the speed for free....you just can't argue with that!! I'm actually consistently getting 29/6 off the Speakeasy speed tests. Worse yet FIOS has been run on this street and they are due to go live anytime. Even dslextreme is reselling FIOS nationwide.

Looks like Speakeasy has been missing the boat for a while. While it was a good ride the costs can't be justified any longer. I'm getting at least 4x the speed I had (6/768) for a little more than half the price.

bhan261
join:2001-02-12
New York, NY

bhan261

We'll all be happier once we realize that Speakeasy JUST DOESN'T CARE if we leave. They are focusing their attention on business VoIP and us "holdover" residential customers are more of a pain in the butt than we're worth. As soon as FiOS wires my building (they've already surveyed it) I'm outta here too.

CylonRed
MVM
join:2000-07-06
Bloom County

CylonRed

MVM

I am already happy - why will I be happier if "We'll all be happier once we realize that Speakeasy JUST DOESN'T CARE if we leave"?!?!?

bhan261
join:2001-02-12
New York, NY

bhan261

We'll be happier because we'll realize that any expectations we have of being treated as a CUSTOMER by Speakeasy are for naught.

CylonRed
MVM
Bloom County
·Metronet

CylonRed

MVM

I have only been treated well - I pay more but as far as I am concerned (with TW being the cable company) my service far surpasses my expectations and I know it is light years ahead of TW in my area.

In 8+ year they screwed up my billing a GRAND total of ONE time. I have maybe called tech support 3 times I those same years. My speeds are great and constant and if I want to run a server I can - I can even share the line.

Seems like they are treating me as a customer - just fine. They have always exceeded my expectations.
Expand your moderator at work
russotto
join:2000-10-05
West Orange, NJ

russotto to Nobbie16

to Nobbie16

Re: Goodbye Speakeasy

Hope you have better experience with Comcast than my previous employer did. Way too much downtime. That's why I stick with Speakeasy even though there are faster and cheaper packages available.
Expand your moderator at work

CylonRed
MVM
Bloom County

1 edit

CylonRed to russotto

MVM

to russotto

Re: Goodbye Speakeasy

nm

edb
@seyfarth.com

edb to Nobbie16

Anon

to Nobbie16
SE is a great provider but they're prices are just way too high for the residential users. I'm going to be leaving as well.

kamm
join:2001-02-14
Brooklyn, NY

kamm to bhan261

to bhan261
said by bhan261:

We'll all be happier once we realize that Speakeasy JUST DOESN'T CARE if we leave. They are focusing their attention on business VoIP and us "holdover" residential customers are more of a pain in the butt than we're worth. As soon as FiOS wires my building (they've already surveyed it) I'm outta here too.
They don't get shit from VoIP business- only uneducated small busines sidiots go with Speakeasy's ridiculously waaayyy overpriced, lame managed VoIP offerings.

SE is on a downward spiral, it's clear: they are bleeding T1 users like nobody else because they have zero competitive offerings in most cities (What? $399 for 3Mb/3Mb, especially w/ 2-yr contract?? Do you really think I'm that stupid???), their VoIP is completely dead offer without being competitive on the underlying connection and it's also expensive anyway, ADSL2+ would be competitive on speed but it's crazy expensive as well...

...for comparison: in most cities you can get 10Mb/10Mb for $800, 5Mb/5Mb for $500, WiMax or ethernet, if you do your homework - SE has no place to go unless it picks up some new technology.
Nobbie16
Jersey City, NJ

Nobbie16

OK, well I thought I'd provide an update one month after I got service from Comcast. Despite the nay sayers Comxcast service has been great...not a single issue. Speeds have been stable and the double for free upgrade has been great. As a matter of fact speeds have consistently tested as more than double on Speakeasy's speed tests.

And no it's not speedboost, for the nay sayers. Consistent download rates confirm the speeds. technical support has been almost immediate on the phone and I only had to call once for a reverse DNS setup. Despite all the fluff talk I was pleased with the tech who answered the call...he was knowledge and seemed almost a step ahead of me in knowing what was needed.

All in all I have not had any reason whatsoever to complain. Very pleased so far.

For your benefit here's a speedtest just taken. A Friday evening just after 7 PM. If there would be any speed issues it would be at this time.

LucFuture
join:2008-08-19
Murrysville, PA

LucFuture

Do they still make you use that dumb modem/router combo that can't be put into bridge mode or can't have dhcp disabled? That is the only thing that is holding me back. I don't want any double NAT because I use a WRT54GL with tomato and that is definitely staying.
Nobbie16
Jersey City, NJ

Nobbie16

The router I received is the SMC 8014. It takes less than a minute to put into bridge mode. Absolutely zero issues since it was installed. Not a SINGLE complaint with anything up to now!!