Bueller? Bueller?
MVM
join:2001-09-01
El Dorado Hills, CA

pflog to vladik0070

MVM

to vladik0070

Re: My slingbox experience with FIOS

You were getting 3.5 Mbps via HTTP/FTP, not through the sling box.

You can't assume that the Slingbox's TCP stack is the same as your PC's. It likely has some sort of limitation (either hardware or software) on the buffer sizes and that's limiting the throughput.

Onedollar
join:2001-08-27
Pomona, CA

Onedollar

Any chance this is the Slingbox HD version? If its the old solo, im pretty sure I read on the sling forums there is a WAN cap applied. A way around this is to setup a VPN, and fake it into thinking you are on the LAN
vladik0070
join:2002-01-25
Costa Mesa, CA

2 edits

vladik0070 to pflog

to pflog
deblin -> i know , i just wanted to point out that it wasnt router , connection at fault. It's pretty obvious that Slingbox was at fault yet tech support wanted to hear none of that.

onedollar -> i asked about capping and tech support denied that and said they removed cap over 6 months ago with firmware. i made sure i was up to date and even allowed slingmedia tech support to connect to my Sligbox to make sure everything was set up correctly.

Also cap was set at 2mbps. and yes , i was using solo.

EDIT -> i know i could have used VPN but my roomate is using computer that i have there and sometimes takes it to work to watch on-line videos via 3G connection ( his work blocks access to hulu and youtube , the balls they have , actually requiring him to get some work done )

Unless there's a way to set up VPN on Westell router Verizon provided ?!?!

pflog
Bueller? Bueller?
MVM
join:2001-09-01
El Dorado Hills, CA

pflog

MVM

Sorry, I misunderstood where you were going I concur, it was definitely something on SlingBox's side (either the hardware itself, the software on the hardware or the client).
vladik0070
Costa Mesa, CA

vladik0070

yea , i think i'm done with these things and will try to find out how to do it with cheapo PC or MAC mini sometime in the future.

Or if Sling/Hava come up with new versions that will make 1mbps streams actually look good. I mean even for not-so great WMP codec @1mbps it should look better than it did. Why they use WMP instead of h.264 is beyond me.

I dont want to use ORB or SAGE as i find both of them pretty high maintenance pieces of software.

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium Member
join:2001-01-02
Forest Grove, OR
·Ziply Fiber

darcilicious

Premium Member

I couldn't agree with your more about Orb but I'm bummed to hear that about Sage as that's where I'm headed next with the whole recording HD / video media center bit

HAVA is working on a 4mb upload firmware upgrade: »myhava.com/forum/viewtop ··· 6#p13636 but apparently, no increase in resolution?

It's a little frustrating to need such a hodge podge of software to get the best of each world. I have so far:

HAVA Wireless HD -- local/remote viewing of live TV on PC (waiting for iPhone release and hope it's better than OrbLive). Not really planning on going with the Sage PlaceShifter at this point.

Orb for streaming video files (some live TV but it won't change channels via the Hava ). Not perfect but currently my Orb software has been up for a couple of weeks now w/o issues. There's still room for improvement for the OrbLive iPhone client.

SimplifyMedia for audio streaming (and sharing actually).
vladik0070
Costa Mesa, CA

1 edit

vladik0070

I was thinking of getting Hava but they REALLY need to step it up in software department. No Mac client , no iPhone client , limited to 320x240 @1mbps ?!

I'm sorry but 1999 called and wants its limitations back

guppy_fish --> i NEVER implied it was FIOS' fault , i just wanted to share my experience and frustration. I know Slingbox works for many people but distant remote viewing is not up to snuff at the moment and ITS NOT because of WAN being capped. IT IS NOT ACCORDING TO TECH SUPPORT( well it is , but at 8mbps ).

Still WMP codec to me is very weird choice that i just don't get. h.264 at 1mbps provides VERY clear picture thats just league or two above of what Sling is able to provide at the moment.