ilikeme
I live in a van down by the river.
Premium
join:2002-08-27
Sugar Land, TX
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Vonage

file complaints about merchants with mc/visa?

What is the best and easiest way to file a complaint about with master card and/or visa about a merchant that accepts their cards. There are a few places around here that have decided to implement minimum charge limits for people using credit/debit cards, and it has become really inconvenient, and is also against the rules of accepting master card or visa.

hitachi369
Embrace Your Rights
Premium
join:2001-10-03
Grand Rapids, MI
kudos:4

1 edit
MasterCard has a link on there site

»www.mastercard.com/us/personal/e···ons.html

They take these requests VERY seriously.

You can try calling them too 800-847-2911 (visa) 800-622-7747 (mc)

ilikeme
Premium
Sugar Land, TX
Reviews:
·Vonage
said by hitachi369:

MasterCard has a link on there site

»www.mastercard.com/us/personal/e···ons.html
Thanks, I was looking on their site and must have missed that. Is there one for Visa?
--

Fiber Optics is the future of high-speed internet access. Stop by the BBR Fiber Optic Forum

removed
Premium,VIP
join:2002-02-08
Houston, TX
kudos:40
reply to ilikeme
MasterCard has a form, as linked to above. For Visa you will have to contact your issuer who will file a complaint on your behalf.

hitachi369
Embrace Your Rights
Premium
join:2001-10-03
Grand Rapids, MI
reply to ilikeme
There was, but they redid there site and I could never find it again. You can call and they might help you over the phone. Filing a MasterCard complaint should resolve the issue.

ilikeme
Premium
Sugar Land, TX
Reviews:
·Vonage
reply to removed
said by removed:

MasterCard has a form, as linked to above. For Visa you will have to contact your issuer who will file a complaint on your behalf.
I actually only have Master card, but I figured I would complain to Visa also if it was an option. I sent the info to Master Card.
--

Fiber Optics is the future of high-speed internet access. Stop by the BBR Fiber Optic Forum
Expand your moderator at work

Maccawolf
Premium
join:2001-02-20
Hillsdale, NJ
reply to ilikeme

Re: file complaints about merchants with mc/visa?

I called. BTW. Discover has no such agreement with merchants. Found that out when I called about the same incident. I called all 4 companies, Visa, Master, Amex and Discover.
--
Mom and Crockett...... I miss you both!

join:2005-09-08
said by Maccawolf:

I called. BTW. Discover has no such agreement with merchants. Found that out when I called about the same incident. I called all 4 companies, Visa, Master, Amex and Discover.
Let me correct you on that. The rule with discovery from my understanding is if merchant accepts other cards they have to follow the same rules. If they accept only discovery, then yes they can set the minimum.

1 edit
reply to removed
said by removed:

I have called visa directly, the issuer bank had no clue what is going on.

edit:There is slight difference between how visa and mastercard handles the complaint. With mastercard, they handle it them self. With visa, they forward it to the issuer bank and let the issuer bank decide what to do with the complaint. Withat being said, Visa will send you acknowledgement letter with complaint number which mastercard will only send you email confirming that they received your complaint.

removed
Premium,VIP
Houston, TX
My credit union, which issued the only Visa I have (I mostly stick to MC and Amex), was clueless about this as well. I sent Visa a letter via snail mail about a year ago and received a response which said that complaints can only be accepted via the issuer. Since then, my credit union has made a PDF available that can be filled out to report merchant issues.

I usually just fill out the MasterCard form unless the merchant really pissed me off.
--
irc.removed.us - #dslr | DSLR Phishtracker | Email: removed@dslr.net

tcope
Premium
join:2003-05-07
Sandy, UT
kudos:2
reply to ilikeme
Have some fun (if possible) call from the cash register at the store! Should worry the vendor as they probably can't stay in business without the accounts.

dvd536
as Mr. Pink as they come
Premium
join:2001-04-27
Phoenix, AZ
reply to Maccawolf
said by Maccawolf:

Discover has to be one of the least accepted cards around. redbox wouldn't even take discover.
--
When I gez aju zavateh na nalechoo more new yonooz tonigh molinigh - Ken Lee

Thespis
I'm not an actor, but I play one on TV.
Premium
join:2004-08-03
Keller, TX
said by dvd536:

Discover has to be one of the least accepted cards around. redbox wouldn't even take discover.
And yet, there are businesses that will only take Discover. Sam's Club and one of the dollar store chains come to mind.

removed
Premium,VIP
Houston, TX
All of the Sam's locations here in Houston have accepted MasterCard for quite some time now.

Alcohol
Premium
join:2003-05-26
Climax, MI
reply to ilikeme
You might have to fill out the mastercard form multiple times.

I've had no action taken by just doing it once.

I've always used different names.
--
I found the key to success but somebody changed the lock.

Vamp9190
Premium
join:2002-02-11
Chantilly, VA
reply to ilikeme
said by ilikeme:

What is the best and easiest way to file a complaint about with master card and/or visa about a merchant that accepts their cards. There are a few places around here that have decided to implement minimum charge limits for people using credit/debit cards, and it has become really inconvenient, and is also against the rules of accepting master card or visa.
Just out of curiosity, what was the minimum.

I did not realize that it was against the rules to set minimums. I guess that the 'minimum order for delivery' that a lot of restaurants have listed does not technically apply since they are putting a min not on the purchase, but on what they will bring to you?

I think that nowadays this minimum charge is less of a 'back breaker' for small businesses than it was 10-20 years ago since the CC transaction fees that they have to pay are lower than back then, right?

Yes the "delivery minimum" is not same as "charge minimum on cc".

Thespis
I'm not an actor, but I play one on TV.
Premium
join:2004-08-03
Keller, TX
reply to removed
I stand corrected.
Thanks.

Gbcue
Premium
join:2001-09-30
Santa Rosa, CA
kudos:8
For VISA, you call 1800-847-2911 (800-VISA-911).

Gotta Do What Ya Gotta Do
Premium
join:2000-09-02
Here
reply to ilikeme
I fail to understand why this is even an issue for anyone.
Don't want my business? Fine, there is another store down the street.
--
It is better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it.

nokiatech

join:2000-10-18
Stuart, FL
Reviews:
·Comcast

1 recommendation

said by 61999674:

Agreed and frankly I have a hard time believing they'd terminate a merchant agreement over this when frankly it's just easy money for them no matter what. At most they'd send a "You're a bad boy!" letter.

ilikeme
Premium
Sugar Land, TX
Reviews:
·Vonage
reply to Vamp9190
said by Vamp9190:

said by ilikeme:

Just out of curiosity, what was the minimum.

I did not realize that it was against the rules to set minimums. I guess that the 'minimum order for delivery' that a lot of restaurants have listed does not technically apply since they are putting a min not on the purchase, but on what they will bring to you?

I think that nowadays this minimum charge is less of a 'back breaker' for small businesses than it was 10-20 years ago since the CC transaction fees that they have to pay are lower than back then, right?
This particular place is $10.00, but I have seen others that are between $5 and $15 before.
--

Mr Neutron
Ceaseless, Tasteless, and Gormless
Premium
join:2005-05-30
Gorham, ME
reply to nokiatech
said by nokiatech:

said by 61999674:

Agreed and frankly I have a hard time believing they'd terminate a merchant agreement over this when frankly it's just easy money for them no matter what. At most they'd send a "You're a bad boy!" letter.
The thing is, it runs contrary to the interests of the card companies when merchants do things like require minimum purchases and require ID to be shown.

What the card companies want is for transactions to be as quick and angst-free as possible. When you get merchants arbitrarily adding things like minimum purchase amounts and ID checks, it makes transactions less convenient and, consequently, gets people to start thinking about using other payment methods.

Which is what the card companies do not want, seeing as they have to compete against cash/checks/debit and other payment methods.

I, too, have a hard time believing that a card company would terminate their relationship with a given merchant, but the merchants seem to need the card companies more than the card companies need the merchants.* Sure, dealing with credit card companies is a hassle for merchants, but I can only guess that there's a reason why merchants are willing to jump through all the hoops the credit card companies set before them: accepting credit cards means more money for merchants.

*Though this might be one of those "chicken and egg"-type arguments.
--
We could use the £5,000 to buy a spoon. And then fill up with ice cream.

removed
Premium,VIP
Houston, TX

1 edit
reply to 61999674
said by 61999674:

That's fine - so go down the street. I'm going to make sure that the store holds up to the agreement they signed with their credit card processing company. I would much rather get results rather than going elsewhere like a chump.
--
irc.removed.us - #dslr | DSLR Phishtracker | Email: removed@dslr.net