GeekGirl1
Premium Member
join:2007-01-28
Morrisville, PA

2 edits

GeekGirl1 to brutus

Premium Member

to brutus

Re: Best place to buy splitters compatible with Fios?

Verizon should supply those splitters for free. The fact that he didn't have any on-hand just means he has to come back and finish the installation.

If this isn't the case, anything that's rated from 5 MHz to 1000 MHz will work.

They do make 6-way splitters, but aren't that common. You said "at-least" a 6-way? Get an 8-way and then put some terminations on the 2 unused ports. The loss is the same as cascading (8-way = 1 x 2-way with 2 x 4-way splitters), but it's a lot cleaner installation.

If Verizon does the install, the tech will make sure that those new runs will deliver enough signal to the TVs.

aaronwt
Premium Member
join:2004-11-07
Woodbridge, VA
Asus RT-AX89

1 edit

aaronwt

Premium Member

said by GeekGirl1:

Verizon should supply those splitters for free. The fact that he didn't have any on-hand just means he has to come back and finish the installation.

They do make 6-way splitters, but aren't that common. You said "at-least" a 6-way? Get an 8-way and then put some terminations on the 2 unused ports. The loss is the same as cascading (8-way = 1 x 2-way with 2 x 4-way splitters), but it's a lot cleaner installation.

If Verizon does the install, the tech will make sure that those new runs will deliver enough signal to the TVs.
The Verizon
MoCA frequency used is 1150Mhz, so the splitter needs to go to at least that frequency to work properly. At least for the cable boxes. For just the channels I think it only goes up to 860Mhz.
JohnA4
Premium Member
join:2003-09-16
Pittsburgh, PA

JohnA4

Premium Member

Verizon installed 5-1000 MHz filters in this area.

GeekGirl1
Premium Member
Morrisville, PA

2 edits

GeekGirl1

Premium Member

5 - 1000 MHz was on my "official" Verizon splitter. Yes, MoCA is at 1150 MHz. However, it'll still work.

RF speak - The splitter is broadband. 1150 MHz is only ~10% above the max frequency. Translation - you have some slack to work with.
xer0derm
join:2007-07-27

xer0derm

I usually use Ebay and get a quality splitter. I look for PDI.

GeekGirl1
Premium Member
Morrisville, PA

1 edit

GeekGirl1

Premium Member

That's what I got from Verizon - PDI.
brutus
join:2003-12-16
Tampa, FL

brutus to GeekGirl1

to GeekGirl1
said by GeekGirl1:

They did supply enough splitters to cover the install which was 4 lines, but I have since added two lines which is why I needed more. I probably should have had them connect all my runs but most were for future use. I didn't even have these two lines run at the time. I also felt bad since they were only supposed to add TV to my current install but ended up having to relocate the ONT due to grounding issues since apparently the rules changed from when I had my original install done. As a result the install took 9 hours since the rain didn't help either.
said by GeekGirl1:

Thanks that is what I needed. Yeah all my drops end in the same spot so a 8 way would work nicely. I checked Home Depot since I was there anyway before posting but they didn't have anything similar in stock that looked like the ones I had.