MVM
join:2003-04-29
Germantown, TN

1 edit

10 recommendations

dandelion

MVM

[Chat] Something to Celebrate

I took care of her as long as I could going from her house to mine, my Dad having died of the same disease that is wracking her brain today. During a power outage, she tripped over a phone cord and broke her hip. She came to live with me then, protesting all the way yet half my house is now hers. It is estimated only 1/4 Alzheimers ever walk after that not due to the body, but due to the mind telling them they are unable to. Using a walker now and going slowly, she looks more frail as the years pass, her mind sometimes wondering to distant shores of her memory yet always is ready for a joke, a kiss, a hug. I am always thankful she is still here with me. Happy Birthday Mom!

»[Deep] A Poem about Alzheimers

rfhar
The World Sport, Played In Every Country
Premium Member
join:2001-03-26
Buicktown,Mi

1 recommendation

rfhar

Premium Member

You will never regret having taken care of her. We took my father-in-law in, after mom died and they were wonderful years. He also had Alzheimer's. After a bit he started to have TIA's ( a form of stroke) and we had to put him in a home, he did not last long after that.

squirt
cacatne alces in silvis?
MVM
join:2004-04-27
Out Grazing

1 recommendation

squirt to dandelion

MVM

to dandelion
Happy birthday, dandy's mom!

ehansman
He's Back - KIMI 2012
Premium Member
join:2002-01-21
Over Here

1 recommendation

ehansman to dandelion

Premium Member

to dandelion
Happy Birthday, Dandy's MOM!

(It is my mom's birthday, too.)

I am glad she is there for you, and you for her. May the next year bring you both good health and happiness.

jopfef
Home of The Rat Patrol
MVM
join:2001-03-31
Saint Louis, MO

2 recommendations

jopfef to dandelion

MVM

to dandelion
My Mom left many years ago. The last 2 1/2 years of her life required many visits to multiple doctors, and she lived in a small town about 50 miles from St. Louis. She needed help at home, and my father wouldn't lift a finger to help her do anything (and that's a whole different story). So I quit work fulltime, went to work as a temp, and did all the driving back and forth for all that time. Do the laundry, change the bedding, help clean the house, etc. Drive her into town here for her doctors' appointments, shop till she dropped, and then have dinner somewhere and drive her back home, and then come back home. It was the best 2 1/2 years I ever had with Mom, and I didn't regret any of it.

So, Dandi, my best wishes to your Mom on her special day! Enjoy her while you have her; believe me, you'll never regret it.

Sunny
Runs from Clowns

join:2001-08-19

1 recommendation

Sunny to dandelion

to dandelion

Happy Birthday, dear lady!

There is just so much to celebrate here!

lonnyb
Blessed Beyond Belief
Premium Member
join:2004-01-25
San Antonio, TX

1 recommendation

lonnyb to dandelion

Premium Member

to dandelion

Re: [Chat] Something to Celebrate

Happy Birthday, Dandy's Mom!!!!!

usa2k
Blessed
MVM
join:2003-01-26
Westland, MI

1 recommendation

usa2k to dandelion

MVM

to dandelion
Click for full size
There is nothing like family. Even hard times can be cherished memories.
If not now ... later ... in reflection.
It is great you can see the worth of each passing moment.
Hope your mom and you have a great weekend!

suprleg
Abracadabra
Premium Member
join:2004-05-06
Garden Grove, CA

3 recommendations

suprleg to dandelion

Premium Member

to dandelion
I hope your Mom had a wonderful Birthday, I miss mine.

santy
Don't Follow Me, I'M Lost Too
MVM
join:2001-06-10
Wilmington, IL

2 recommendations

santy to dandelion

MVM

to dandelion
Happy Birthday, Dandy's mom. Cherish the time you had with your dad, and cherish the time you are having with your mom..

My mom died 38 years ago this past March and I still miss her. I was 14. My dad died 4 years ago this past Feb. and I miss him too.

BadHat
Hook'M Horns
Premium Member
join:2003-10-14
Rosa's Place

1 recommendation

BadHat to dandelion

Premium Member

to dandelion
Happy belated birthday, Mom!!

Santa Fe
BUT.....I Digress!

join:2000-08-22
Freight Yard

2 recommendations

Santa Fe to dandelion

to dandelion
Happy Belated Birthday! Going thru the same thing myself with my mom. It's hard to watch sometimes, but there's NO WAY I would dump her into some nursing home.

mouseferatu
Too many cats, Too many mice
MVM
join:2004-03-16
Im not sure

1 recommendation

mouseferatu to dandelion

MVM

to dandelion

I hope that your mom had a happy birthday, and that the coming year will be rich with blessings for both of you.

signmeuptoo94
Bless you Howie
Premium Member
join:2001-11-22
NanoParticle

1 recommendation

signmeuptoo94 to dandelion

Premium Member

to dandelion
Happy belated b-day.

dandelion
MVM
join:2003-04-29
Germantown, TN

1 recommendation

dandelion

MVM

Thank you every one for the well-wishes, insisting we were taking her out to dinner (she doesn't like to leave the house), she seemed very happy once we got to the restaurant....and of course her favorite Baskin-Robbin cake dessert later!

opus74
Deep Thought
Premium Member
join:2002-03-04
Coello, IL

1 recommendation

opus74 to dandelion

Premium Member

to dandelion
Happy Birthday, Dandy's mom.

TDNickell
Premium Member
join:2006-09-26
Federal Way, WA

1 recommendation

TDNickell to dandelion

Premium Member

to dandelion
I have to say,I'm very proud of you Dandy!
Give your mom a hug for me dear!

Maccawolf
Premium Member
join:2001-02-20
Hillsdale, NJ

1 recommendation

Maccawolf to dandelion

Premium Member

to dandelion
Every one here who says CHERISH EVERY MOMENT is right!
When my mom was diagnosed with Leukemia, we were all under the impression that she would get through it and I regret not being MORE supportive of her illness. I mean I was totally supportive, but I always thought she would get better. I think you view things differently in those two situations and I regret "waiting for her to get better", rather than being aware 0f it being terminal.
Maybe I was just denying that she wouldn't live forever?....

Inchworm3
butterfly wannabe
Premium Member
join:2002-04-18
Bozeman, MT

1 recommendation

Inchworm3 to dandelion

Premium Member

to dandelion
What a beautiful Birthday post for your mother, Dandy. Don't know how I missed it but am glad I've still got a chance to send belated birthday wishes for your Mom.

My hubby and I took care of his dad for the last 5 years of his life and he died at home at age 98. He didn't have Alzheimer's but senile dementia was taking its toll on him. He was a blessing to have with us, nevertheless. As has been said more than once already, you'll never regret what you're doing for mom.