how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

nim_works

@raytheon.com

[northeast] Motorola NIM-100

All

How does a NIM100 work? I have the ONT Coax connection going into a splitter.

From the splitter, have one line going to the ActionTec (REV E) and another going to the NIM100. Connecting a RJ45/Ethernet cable from the NIM100 to my laptop does NOT result in internet access (although having RJ-IN connected to it does result in the RF LED becoming solid green).

Is there a problem with my setup? or is it the NIM?

More Fiber
Premium,MVM
join:2005-09-26
West Chester, PA
kudos:31
I assume when you say "does NOT result in internet access", you mean that you laptop is not getting a DHCP address from the Actiontec.

The NIM-100 functions only as MOCA LAN bridge and can not be used to connect directly to the ONT (not clear if that is what you were trying to do).

If you are indeed trying to connect to the Actiontec, then the NIM-100 is probably bad. It is a simply MOCA to ethernet bridge. There is nothing to configure. Plug it it and it should "just work".

birdfeedr
Premium,MVM
join:2001-08-11
Warwick, RI
kudos:9

2 edits
reply to nim_works
Another way to verify NIM-100 RF connection (BTW the green LED is a good sign) is to log in to the Actiontec, click My Network, click link to Coax LAN, click Settings, scroll down and click link for Coax Stats. (I'm going on memory, not in front of my Actiontec).

Coax Stats gives you a table that shows TX/RX rates. If you have a TV-STB, they will show up there. The NIM-100 will show up as a device as well. Can't remember how it looks if there isn't anything attached to it. Will check tonight.

However, some things might make a difference. How many MoCA devices, 7 max. Also, if laptop is not pulling a DHCP address, instead static on wrong subnet.

birdfeedr
Premium,MVM
Warwick, RI

1 edit
Click for full size
If you have TV, you can get to Coax Stats by clicking on My Network icon, then clicking the MoCA Diagnostics link next to the IP-STB device in the list.

Otherwise, My Network icon / Network Connections / Coax / Settings / Go to LAN Coax Stats.

I have one STB, which is Device 1 in the above screen shot. It displays the IP address of the STB.

Device 2 is a NIM-100. The MAC address is that of the NIM-100, not the Slingbox connected to it. The IP address of the Slingbox does not display. There is no difference whether something is connected to the NIM-100 or not. The device stats reflect the connection via MoCA to the NIM-100.

wesm
Premium
join:1999-07-29
Redmond, WA
said by birdfeedr:

Otherwise, My Network icon / Network Connections / Coax / Settings / Go to LAN Coax Stats.
Device 2 is a NIM-100. ... The device stats reflect the connection via MoCA to the NIM-100.
Dumb question: I took a look at that screen just out of curiosity. My Actiontec shows only itself, and everything else is N/A, even though there are 3 NIM-100 devices connected to the same coax, and everything works, insofar that a device connected to one of that Actiontec's LAN ports then goes through another NIM to reach the downstairs router and then the Internet. If I pull up the config page on a random NIM, it can see the Actiontec's coax MAC. Should there be the other NIMs listed on the Actiontec's page?
--
Opinions expressed here are mine and not my employer's. This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

birdfeedr
Premium,MVM
Warwick, RI
said by wesm:

My Actiontec shows only itself, and everything else is N/A, even though there are 3 NIM-100 devices connected to the same coax
Are the NIM-100's MAC address showing up?

wesm
Premium
join:1999-07-29
Redmond, WA
said by birdfeedr:

Are the NIM-100's MAC address showing up?
No, no other MAC addresses appear, just the Actiontec.
--
Opinions expressed here are mine and not my employer's. This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

More Fiber
Premium,MVM
join:2005-09-26
West Chester, PA
kudos:31
Are you the OP? Not sure if I'm responding to the same problem, or a different problem here.

If you are indeed the OP, then I am assuming that the "downstairs router" is connected to the ONT via cat5 and it's NIM-100 is being used as a MOCA bridge to the other devices and the Actiontec is being used only as another MOCA bridge and switch (i.e. no WAN).

ONT--+--cat5--DS router--NIM--coax--+
                                    +--NIM--PC
                                    +--NIM--PC
                                    +--Actiontec--PC
ONT---------coax--(if TV)-----------+
                                    +--STB (if TV)

In my earlier post I stated there was nothing to configure with the NIM-100s, that they are plug and play. That is usually the case. However, it is possible to configure both the Actiontec and NIM-100s to use a non-standard MOCA channel (and password).

On the Actiontec:
  • Click on MY NETWORK icon
  • Select NETWORK CONNECTIONS from the menu on the left
  • Make sure ADVANCED view is enabled.
  • Click on coax
    • Select CONFIGURE CONNECTION
    • From the CHANNEL pull down, select a specific channel. This must be the same channel used by the NIM-100. Westells and Actiontec Rev E routers support MOCA channels not available on the NIM-100.
    • Make sure MOCA privacy is enabled.
    • In the PASSWORD field, enter a MOCA network encryption password (12-17 numeric characters).
    • Click OK

On each NIM-100:
  • Connect a PC directly to the NIM-100.
  • Do an IPCONFIG /RELEASE and /RENEW on the PC. The PC should assign itself a 169.254.1.x address.
  • Browse to »169.254.1.1
    You should be presented with the NIM-100 login screen. The password is "entropic" (without quotes).
  • Go to the SETUP screen.
      Under LAN:
    • Be sure config type is C.LINK LOCAL.
      Under COAX:
    • Select the same channel selected on the Actiontec.
    • Select NETWORK SECURITY SETTINGS
      • Enter the same MOCA network encryption password (12-17 numeric characters) that you entered on the Actiontec.
      • Click APPLY
    • Click APPLY on the SETUP screen.
  • Reboot the NIM-100.
  • Login again
  • Check the status screen to verify communication with the Actiontec (or check the coax stats screen on the Actiontec).

Note: Be careful when changing settings on the NIM-100. It is possible to "brick" the NIM-100.