Premium Member

to keyboards

Re: NASA Shuttle Launch - Early Saturday AM

It's in the IMG now. Recording...

Gary A
join:2008-03-02
Odessa, FL

Gary A

I watched it from my backyard. Depending on the clouds, I can usually see the launches from the west coast of FL.

Night launches are real cool!

SeattleMatt
Streaming Tech Director
Premium Member
join:2001-12-28
Seattle, WA

SeattleMatt to GeekGirl1

Premium Member

to GeekGirl1
GeekGirl-

What an AMAZING launch! thanks for always reminding about HD Net's coverage!

GeekGirl1
Premium Member
join:2007-01-28
Morrisville, PA

3 edits

GeekGirl1

Premium Member

I put the audio on mute (as I normally do) and listened to the NASA channel while I did some stuff in the background. Good thing I checked the video, the internet was 1:20 behind the live feed.

The announcer was still talking most of the time, but I quickly went to HD Net in the last 5 minutes. Not bad.

Man, what great coverage!! They cut back from the launch replays to see the plasma streams up to external tank separation, then they continued until they lost the tank video. On top of that, they continued live coverage at the cape for another 20 minutes. Unbelievable.

You could see them hosing down the tower and pad. Never saw that before. The best part was the public address system telling everyone "Don't be concerned about the sulfuric acid fumes from the shuttle drifting back over the launch site and getting on your skin and clothes, it's OK. BTW, be sure to wash your car tonight."

They even showed the "fish cam" view, but no fish jumped during launch. Beautiful evening. Loved the view from the shuttle processing facility. Incredible detail from the flame trails.

As the tower arm retracted from the shuttle, you could see the astronaut waving goodbye from the pilot's window.

Great shots as the shuttle went through max dynamic pressure, which showed the pressure waves around the shuttle and external tanks.

matcarl
Premium Member
join:2007-03-09
Franklin Square, NY

matcarl

Premium Member

Landing scheduled for 10:48AM on Friday
VZ Mark
join:2009-06-22
Basking Ridge, NJ

VZ Mark

Will this be carried by HDNet as well?

keyboards
join:2001-02-14
Doylestown, PA

keyboards

said by VZ Mark:

Will this be carried by HDNet as well?
Wouldn't have to ask that question if FiOS carried NASA TV. Checked their web site and it is not listed as of now.
VZ Mark
Basking Ridge, NJ

VZ Mark

Expect NASA TV to be added in 1Q10...
OwlSaver
OwlSaver
Premium Member
join:2005-01-30
Berwyn, PA

OwlSaver

Premium Member

Yahoo. That is great news. It is too bad that NASA is ending the Shuttle program in 2010. I wonder if there could be some reality TV show that could created just to keep the Shuttle launches going?

It will be great to have NASA TV on FiOS.

nascar
join:2000-02-28
Verona, NJ

nascar to VZ Mark

to VZ Mark
Awesome!!!
said by VZ Mark:

VZ Mark
Basking Ridge, NJ

1 edit

VZ Mark to OwlSaver

to OwlSaver
It's my understanding that the shuttle program will be scrapped but replaced by a new smaller fleet of 'shuttles' that take off from runways instead of launch pads. There will be more flights as a result of the smaller cargo areas but the cost per flight will decrease and there will be more flexibility in the number and timing of flights. LIVE LONG AND PROSPER!!!

keyboards
join:2001-02-14
Doylestown, PA

keyboards

The existing shuttle is supposed to be retired by the end of 2010 (may be extended since it is unlikely that all the missions to the ISS will be completed in that time frame).

The "new" shuttle is not due until 2015 IIRC. The ISS was to be serviced by Russian Soyuz capsules in the interim. Of course then comes the really stupid thing that there is talk of decommissioning and de-orbiting the ISS after 2015 - kind of ridiculous after all that went into getting it up there

GeekGirl1
Premium Member
Morrisville, PA

2 edits

GeekGirl1 to VZ Mark

Premium Member

to VZ Mark
said by VZ Mark:

Thank you! There's a lot more on NASA TV than the shuttle.

No listing on HD Net. Watching on internet. So far, all go for 10:48 AM landing.

What you guys are talking about is NASA's Constellation program. Orion is the Crew Exploration Vehicle "CEV", Ares is the rocket (Launch Vehicle).

matcarl
Premium Member
join:2007-03-09
Franklin Square, NY

matcarl

Premium Member

It'll probably be on CNN and/or FOX News

GeekGirl1
Premium Member
Morrisville, PA

GeekGirl1

Premium Member

Good point, I keep forgetting about that. Thanks.
GeekGirl1

1 edit

GeekGirl1

Premium Member

GO for de-orbit burn. Landing committed for 10:48 AM ET.
GeekGirl1

1 edit

GeekGirl1 to matcarl

Premium Member

to matcarl
Fox HD had better coverage. The CNN talking head wouldn't stop talking during the actual landing. Fox kept continuing coverage for a few minutes while CNN went to commercial. Fox also did on-sight reports.

CNN HD displayed most of the landing in SD aspect ratio, while Fox stretched it except for the landing part. Back to watching on the internet...