MVM
join:2004-10-12
Castle Rock, WA
(Software) pfSense
Ubiquiti UniFi UAP-AC-PRO

1 edit

Cjaiceman

MVM

[Signals] 750 feet from a cable drop, will Comcast do this?

Do you think it could be done? We have a place that is about 750 feet from a cable drop. The house is in the middle of the property and its on 20 acres of land, and there is a cable drop at the back of the property. What would be the best way to approach this that won't break the bank? I haven't seen one, but I may have missed it somewhere on the internet, but is there a Coax to Fiber extender that could be used? Would RG-11 and a few amplifiers be the way to go? There is no mains power out at the drop, just at the building, so if power is required then it would need to be run out there and I would like to avoid that if possible.

I really want to know from some of the install techs about how they would approach this problem and what would be their suggestions, but any idea is welcome.

koshoka
join:2006-12-01
Pottsville, PA

koshoka

Re: [Signals] 750ft, can it be done?

750' is very possible, but it would require a site survey. Most likely someone from the Construction Department would have to take a look. The run is to long for drop cable (rg6/rg11) it would have to be feeder cable, so Construction would have to run the line. Comcast does have an allowance towards running the line, anything over that allowance would be your responsibility.

They only way to know for sure is to request service.

Are your other utilities ariel or UG?
K Patterson
Premium Member
join:2006-03-12
Columbus, OH

K Patterson to Cjaiceman

Premium Member

to Cjaiceman
The power is already there, on the coax. The issue becomes whether the"cable drop" is feeder or trunk, and how far it is away from the node and the number of amplifiers already in the circuit.

By all means get a survey, but be ready for a high four to low five-digit crater in your wallet.

Cjaiceman
MVM
Castle Rock, WA
(Software) pfSense

Cjaiceman to koshoka

MVM

to koshoka
said by koshoka:

Are your other utilities ariel or UG?
Both actually, but they are on the other side of the property. The Comcast lines are on the west side of the property, the phone comes in UG from the NE and power comes in AG from the SE. Propane is stored on site in a 1000gal tank and there is a well for water.

Would there be any charge for getting a site survey?
K Patterson
Premium Member
Columbus, OH

K Patterson

Premium Member

There shouldn't be.

You may be able to help yourself to a degree. There are two kinds of line, trunk and feeder. The feeders are driven by bridger amps that connected to the trunk. You could think of them as pipe tees.

Is there mmre thanone cable abutting your property?If so, one is probably larger in diameter than the other. The larger is the trunk, and the smaller the feeder. Taps are always installed on the feeders. If all you see is feeder, that's not good. Adding 750' to a feeder is probably not possible. 750' off a trunk is doable. You'll probaly need about three poles.

Man, that is a lot of propane.

Cjaiceman
MVM
Castle Rock, WA
(Software) pfSense

Cjaiceman

MVM

Click for full size
It has to be feeder then. As you can see in the pic the drop is on the right, and the home is under the red arrow, I've walked it with a measuring wheel and its 748 feet to the side of the home.
AVonGauss
Premium Member
join:2007-11-01
Boynton Beach, FL

AVonGauss

Premium Member

You mentioned there were utilities already on the other side of the property? Are you sure there isn't cable on that side as well? If you or the owner really does want Comcast, I would just call and ask to have service established. If they're not sure from their records, they should do a site survey and make a determination - then the "negotiations" begin...

Who has the larger green box next to the ped, electric? Is that a subdivision on the right side or another single home?

Peateargriffin
@shawcable.net

Peateargriffin to Cjaiceman

Anon

to Cjaiceman
Hell yeah it can be done. Put a mainline splitter in before the tap, change the tap value after the splitter by 3db lower, and run QR540 to your house from the other leg. Loses about 12db at 750 MHz, you should have lots of signal by the time it gets to your place.
Expand your moderator at work

tshirt
Premium Member
join:2004-07-11
Snohomish, WA

tshirt to Cjaiceman

Premium Member

to Cjaiceman

Re: [Signals] 750ft, can it be done?

The problem I see is, you mentioned the utilities access from the other side, i.e. that's where the ROW is, comcast MIGHT be willing to access from another point, in trade for a DEEDED, PERMANENT, ROW easement, which in this case MIGHT require a legal " service road" (can't really expect a service tech to carry a ladder and all his tools across a field on a dark a stormy night because your cable is out ) it also would effect the resale value of the land (No stucture shall exist within the ROW, access shall be maintained at 10 feet width .... etc.
The worst part might be getting a permit (i.e. does not cross or effect a wetland, sensitive area....etc. etc.) from whatever local, county, state, fed. agencies which "control"/ protect your property) All of which MIGHT be a your expense, before you could grant a new ROW, so that ComCast could survey it (and then , maybe, say NO!)

It doesn't hurt to ask but don't be suprised if somebody says NO!

Cjaiceman
MVM
Castle Rock, WA
(Software) pfSense

Cjaiceman

MVM

Click for full size
The Arrow is the drop, the black line is the property line, and the Red line is the power coming into the property. I have made sure, and there are no cable lines out that way. The ONLY place that Comcast has close lines are on the property behind the house.

tshirt
Premium Member
Snohomish, WA

tshirt to Cjaiceman

Premium Member

to Cjaiceman
Ok now you need a ROW from the neighbor too. (makes the process much worse/less likely. (Unless they REALLY REALLY like you ))
I really doubt you can afford access from the direction, unlles you sell your property, which seems pointless.
As terrible as this seems, it is to protect property rights/Value/ usability for future owners (it's not just you agreeing to snake a cable through the grass, at your expense/risk

gar187er
I DID this for a living
join:2006-06-24
Seattle, WA

gar187er to Peateargriffin

to Peateargriffin
said by Peateargriffin :

Hell yeah it can be done. Put a mainline splitter in before the tap, change the tap value after the splitter by 3db lower, and run QR540 to your house from the other leg. Loses about 12db at 750 MHz, you should have lots of signal by the time it gets to your place.
what hes at the EOL? might need to put a Line extender in...what if hes 9 amps deep? its not always that easy chief....not to mention not every system uses qr cable (armored cable is the devil)....
rody_44
Premium Member
join:2004-02-20
Quakertown, PA

1 edit

rody_44

Premium Member

man i have to say. 9 amps deep. holy shit around here the max is 4 cascaded amps and they try to keep it within three. a fourth might be put in for something like this but never more than 4.
Lyserjic
join:2002-07-02
Houston, TX

Lyserjic to Cjaiceman

to Cjaiceman
Interesting thread..

Several years ago my boss was having a home built in rural Fort Bend County, TX (SW of Houston) and the area was served at the time by Time Warner. (prior to the Comcast take-over of the Houston area)

He placed an order for TV/Internet on a Monday. His home is at least 700' feet off of the road where the main cable lines are located. He came home on Thursday to a cable crew doing a directional bore along across his property running some kind of hardline to a pedestal they were installing about 50 feet from his house.

The charge for the run? $0.00. This was obviously not cheap for the cable co due to the equipment, material and manpower involved in the effort.

I never quite figured out how he pulled this off. He's not a tech-savvy guy at all, so he really had no clue what they were doing. All he did was call and order service. My jaw almost hit the floor when he told me what they were doing because I told him TW was probably going to charge him an arm and a leg to run cable out to his house. Boy was I wrong!

-L

gar187er
I DID this for a living
join:2006-06-24
Seattle, WA

gar187er

all depends on the local franchise agreement....could be a clause saying anyone "X" amount of feet is free...

tshirt
Premium Member
Snohomish, WA

1 edit

tshirt to Lyserjic

Premium Member

to Lyserjic
said by Lyserjic:

I never quite figured out how he pulled this off. He's not a tech-savvy guy at all, so he really had no clue what they were doing. All he did was call and order service. My jaw almost hit the floor when he told me what they were doing because I told him TW was probably going to charge him an arm and a leg to run cable out to his house. Boy was I wrong!

-L

Tech savvy, maybe not but money/influance savvy is what counts.
It's who you know, or in this case somebody knew/figured out who he was, and thought it worthwhile to provide supierior service ,even if he didn't recognize it as being more than they would do for the average joe (most average Joe's homes aren't 700 feet back....$$$ money talks.)

maintenancetech
@comcast.net

maintenancetech to rody_44

Anon

to rody_44
We have 12 amp cascades in some areas.

Cjaiceman
MVM
Castle Rock, WA
(Software) pfSense

Cjaiceman

MVM

Sorry to bump an old thread, but I thought I would update it a bit and state that I am having Comcast send out someone to look and see if they will do it, and if not for free how much $$. Since I am paying for their $189 22/5 (pre D3 launch here still), and have been a business customer for over 1.5 years, and a residential customer since 2004, and never had a single late payment I am hopeful they will do something. The thought of going back to 7mbps Qwerst DSL makes me shudder.

graycorgi
Premium Member
join:2004-02-23

graycorgi

Premium Member

said by Cjaiceman:

Sorry to bump an old thread, but I thought I would update it a bit and state that I am having Comcast send out someone to look and see if they will do it, and if not for free how much $$. Since I am paying for their $189 22/5 (pre D3 launch here still), and have been a business customer for over 1.5 years, and a residential customer since 2004, and never had a single late payment I am hopeful they will do something. The thought of going back to 7mbps Qwerst DSL makes me shudder.
Let us know what happens please I'm getting a property in Tennessee that is right up along the road, but Comcast's cable stops being run on the utility pole 600-700' away. If they do it for free for you, I've got a bargaining chip

cypherstream
MVM
join:2004-12-02
Reading, PA

cypherstream to maintenancetech

MVM

to maintenancetech
said by maintenancetech :

We have 12 amp cascades in some areas.
Yuck, how bad is your roll off after 750? They require certification to 771 MHz on our SA 750 gear here.
WernerSchutz
join:2009-08-04
Sugar Land, TX

WernerSchutz to Cjaiceman

to Cjaiceman
Why not install a solar/battery backup system in an enclosure with the modem there and fiber optic transceivers, run the fiber to your house to another FOT and not have to involve CC to do the cable run at all ?
Michael05301
join:2004-12-02
Brattleboro, VT

Michael05301 to Cjaiceman

to Cjaiceman
When we first built our new house we had cable in the original house. To run cable to the new house (about 700 feet from the road) Adelphia (now owned by Comcast) wanted about 5600 dollars. The poles where already in, power and telephone was already on them.

I had them move the cable drop into our barn (about 600 feet from our house). I bought 1000' spool of coaxial cable for about 100 dollars. I put a two way signal boaster (available at Radio shack for about 30 dollars) on the line. I ran the cable from the barn to my house (didn't even bother to bury it). It worked just fine for TV and Internet.

A couple years later Adelphia reassessed the installation cost and offered to do it for about 250 dollars. Maybe they just wanted to make sure I was going to stay a customer. At that time I went ahead and had them run the cable.

While the cable was run from the barn to the house I was always nervous that if I had a problem that Adelphia would blame the cable I had run. Luckily I didn't have any problems that didn't get fixed on their own.

WiFiguru
To infinity... and beyond
Premium Member
join:2005-06-21
Seattle, WA

WiFiguru to Cjaiceman

Premium Member

to Cjaiceman
Just to let you know, Comcast came out to my place today, and since this house has never been wired for Comcast, the tech had to call the maintenance truck out, to get some "big cable", about 400ft on telephone poles, in order to service my house.

400 ft is not as much as 700ft, but they are doing this all for free.

-Wifiguru
K Patterson
Premium Member
Columbus, OH

K Patterson

Premium Member

Now that's a good deal.

Cjaiceman
MVM
Castle Rock, WA

Cjaiceman to WiFiguru

MVM

to WiFiguru
Well, they are going to let me know by the end of the week how much and if they can service me. We will see, only time will tell...
AVonGauss
Premium Member
Boynton Beach, FL

1 edit

AVonGauss

Premium Member

I don't have any personal experience with and haven't seen a thread where it was discussed, but if the initial cost comes back on the high side I would be inclined to see if I could continue the discussion with them and see if there are ways to make it more affordable. You couldn't run the line outside the property yourself, but if they told you what they wanted and where it would probably be far cheaper to buy the cable yourself and trench it yourself on your property. Not a fun job by any means, but depending on availability of rental equipment it might not be so bad time and budget wise. You would definitely want them to tell you where the cable would meet on your property, depending on where the easements are currently established it may not be taking the most obvious path.
taz291819
join:2002-08-31
Huntsville, AL

taz291819

said by AVonGauss:

I don't have any personal experience with and haven't seen a thread where it was discussed, but if the initial cost comes back on the high side I would be inclined to see if I could continue the discussion with them and see if there are ways to make it more affordable. You couldn't run the line outside the property yourself, but if they told you what they wanted and where it would probably be far cheaper to buy the cable yourself and trench it yourself on your property. Not a fun job by any means, but depending on availability of rental equipment it might not be so bad time and budget wise. You would definitely want them to tell you where the cable would meet on your property, depending on where the easements are currently established it may not be taking the most obvious path.
I agree. You can rent a ditch-wench for $100/day and another few hundred for RG11U, could save you some coin.

Cjaiceman
MVM
Castle Rock, WA
(Software) pfSense

1 edit

Cjaiceman

MVM

said by taz291819:
said by AVonGauss:

I agree. You can rent a ditch-wench for $100/day and another few hundred for RG11U, could save you some coin.
That all assuming that they want to charge a high install fee, and if its a few hundred $$ then I will just pay it. They might not charge anything if I resign my contract with them. Also, I think it would be done better if they bring feeder cable up to within 50' of the house, then use drop cable from there. 750' of even RG11U will have significant loss and will require a big amp, unless the signal at the tap is +20dbm, with 40 SNR, even then it might not be very good.

Also, I would not need to rent a ditching machine as we have a tractor with a 8" deep ditch digger on the back.

Edit - I would prefer that they do it though, that way if something goes wrong they will be willing to help troubleshoot it and maybe even help fix it.
AVonGauss
Premium Member
Boynton Beach, FL

AVonGauss

Premium Member

said by Cjaiceman:

I would prefer that they do it though, that way if something goes wrong they will be willing to help troubleshoot it and maybe even help fix it.
I definitely agree, wasn't trying to suggest an optimal course just an alternative if they come back with a high cost (in the thousands).