spc
Search similar:

uniqs

SysOp
join:2001-04-18
Atlanta, GA

4 edits

SysOp

What LIDAR/RADAR guns are the cops using in West Atlanta?

It seems lidar is now the choice for speed measurment in Douglas County. Last month, Douglasville just put got approved to buy 4 new laser guns @ $3,700 each!

Thats what I found so far. Any more info would be nice. Thanks in advance for any related information for West Atlanta;

I am curious as to what models of Lidar and radar are being used?

Douglas Co.; K, Ka, Laser
Radar:
Lidar:

Paulding Co.; K
Radar:

Carroll Co.; K, Ka, Laser
Radar:
Lidar:

Cobb Co.; K, Ka, Laser
Radar: Python II Ka, Python III Ka, BEE III Ka
Lidar:

Georgia State Patrol: K, Ka, Laser
Radar: Genesis I K, Genesis II Ka, Stalker Ka, Kustom Golden Eagle 35.5 Ka
Lidar: Pro Laser III

I could always just call them and ask!

NOCTech75
Premium Member
join:2009-06-29
Marietta, GA

NOCTech75

Premium Member

Wow, 16K of speeding hardware.. they gonna be out busting anything that moves to pay them off.

SysOp
join:2001-04-18
Atlanta, GA

2 edits

SysOp

According to a few news sources, our Federal Gov. is providing grant money to be used to purchace Lidar with a new feature to catch tailgaters.

"During the past few years, Centennial, Colorado-based Laser Technology Inc.(LTI), a maker of commercial speed detection laser systems, has developed a product called "Distance Between Cars" (DBC), a software code built into the company's lasers that can calculate accurate measurements between vehicles, both in distance and time. According to LTI, Distance Between Cars measures the back-to-front bumper separation between two vehicles. To date, the company's DBC software is the only innovation of its kind within the LIDAR (short for light detection and ranging) category of speed enforcement tools able to pinpoint tailgating infractions and withstand courtroom scrutiny."

So, I think Douglasville will be adding the LTI UltraLyte 100 LR into service soon.

parasonic
I Am Not A Bot
join:2002-03-29
Atlanta, GA

parasonic to SysOp

to SysOp
Mostly ProLaser III. I *occasionally* see an Ultralyte in north Cobb on 75 and have heard of a few departments having Laser Atlanta units but have never seen any of these in use. One of my friends was telling me about one department (maybe Smyrna) that was getting rid of their two old beaten up Laser Atlanta units and was probably going with something else.
JoelC707
Premium Member
join:2002-07-09
Lanett, AL

JoelC707 to SysOp

Premium Member

to SysOp
I'd say most are using some form of laser now. I think for vehicle mounted speed sensing they still have to use K or Ka radar though. Laser is harder to detect as by the time your radar detector goes off you're busted. At least with radar you have a possible chance of slowing down before they notice you (radar can travel a long way and thus can form an "early warning system").

Ever been to Pine Lake just outside of Stone Mountain/Scottdale? They publicly advertise right below most of their speed limit signs "Pro Laser III". I've often wondered why they do that. Do they think it makes them look more macho or something?

fuziwuzi
Not born yesterday
Premium Member
join:2005-07-01
Palm Springs, CA
Hitron EN2251
Nest H2D

fuziwuzi

Premium Member

said by JoelC707:

Ever been to Pine Lake just outside of Stone Mountain/Scottdale? They publicly advertise right below most of their speed limit signs "Pro Laser III". I've often wondered why they do that. Do they think it makes them look more macho or something?
They do it so people will be more likely to obey the speed limits as posted. If you know you're being watched, you behave better.
JoelC707
Premium Member
Lanett, AL

JoelC707

Premium Member

Yeah I don't doubt that is their intention. It is well known as a speed trap. But so it Clarkston in many ways. Clarkston simply puts "Strictly Enforced" under their speed limit signs. To me that gets the same message across without screaming "look at what we bought with your speeding fines" lol.

parasonic
I Am Not A Bot
join:2002-03-29
Atlanta, GA

parasonic to JoelC707

to JoelC707
said by JoelC707:

I'd say most are using some form of laser now. I think for vehicle mounted speed sensing they still have to use K or Ka radar though. Laser is harder to detect as by the time your radar detector goes off you're busted. At least with radar you have a possible chance of slowing down before they notice you (radar can travel a long way and thus can form an "early warning system").

PL III is the most basic, boring gun out there. Its optics suck compared to its predecessor. I don't know why they would brag about something like that...A LZ-1 or Ultralyte, maybe, but PL IIIs are junk
JoelC707
Premium Member
Lanett, AL

JoelC707

Premium Member

LOL that's too funny. Ya know now that I think about it, those signs have been there for years.