spc
Search similar:

uniqs
JDmailNY
join:2007-12-02
Pearl River, NY

JDmailNY

[HELP] Cisco Training CCNA Suggestions

I need some suggestions on Cisco CCNA training on DvD or online. So far it’s been a real problem to find creditable training and recently, I have just found my self correcting mistakes for the manufacturer Of DvD based Cisco training. The problem was with the correct application Of route poisoning and wrong practice test answers.

I also ran into a problem where I paid $2,000.0 for CCNA 8 week training.This too was not that great because I was expecting certified teachers to at Least orient the class around passing the CCNA test .

If anyone has suggestions on CCNA test preperation that would be appreciated also,In addation to Router Simulation software with some Great Labs.

Thanks and I hope you Guys can help

Have A Great Day

tubbynet
reminds me of the danse russe
MVM
join:2008-01-16
Gilbert, AZ

1 edit

tubbynet

MVM

have you checked out the cisco networking academy (»www.cisco.com/web/learni ··· dex.html )?
a lot of community colleges offer programs dealing with the ccna and ccnp programs. this gives you a guided look into the four "semesters" of the ccna program as well as gives you labs, reference material, and upon completion (and a high enough score on the "voucher" exam) a 1/2 off voucher for your ccna test.
using the website, you can find an academy close to you and see what they have to offer. its how i got my feet wet with my ccna nearly 7 years ago.

q.
JDmailNY
Pearl River, NY

JDmailNY

Thank You So Much, but do you also think some
who already has experince could get their CCNA using this alone. Thanks for the great info

tubbynet
MVM
Gilbert, AZ

tubbynet

MVM

said by JDmailNY:

Thank You So Much, but do you also think some
who already has experince could get their CCNA using this alone. Thanks for the great info
i took this as someone who had only limited experience in networking and none with cisco gear. i had my ccna within a year of starting with the cna program.

q.
JDmailNY
Pearl River, NY

JDmailNY

That sounds great, ya know there is just so much to choose from it always makes things more difficult. Just one more question was it expensive

tubbynet
MVM
Gilbert, AZ

tubbynet

MVM

said by JDmailNY:

That sounds great, ya know there is just so much to choose from it always makes things more difficult. Just one more question was it expensive
i took it through my enrollment in my high school. however, most community colleges or career and technical schools offer classes that are effectively the same. the plus is you get college credit for taking the class, as well as a chance to complete your ccna certification.
i'm not sure what the prices for community college credits are in ny, but in arizona, you could take all four classes for around $800 total. much cheaper than "boot camps" and you get valuable instruction and labs.

q.
JDmailNY
Pearl River, NY

JDmailNY

Sorry for all the question, I was just one Cisco's site, do they offer self paced courses??Thanks
jza80
join:2005-10-29
Sacramento, CA

1 edit

jza80 to JDmailNY

to JDmailNY
Another + for the cisco networking academy. I'm enrolled in the program (ccna exploration 4.0) at a local community college.

Cost wise for me is $20 per unit or $60 per class (each class is 3 units) + whatever the books cost. Theres 4 classes that are 8 weeks each and 2 books (textbook & lab book) per class.

With the classes being 8 weeks long, things move pretty fast. So once you start the program, I'd stick with it.

List of books for ccna exploration:

»www.ciscopress.com/books ··· st=67671

As far as simulators, the only one I've used is packet tracer. I've found it to be pretty good, but limited command wise. Theres some commands that I've had to use that don't work.

My suggestion is to use actual equipment (routers & switches) whenever you can. Maybe look into putting together your own lab.

For self paced, look into books on CCNA.

I don't think Cisco offers any self paced courses.

GoD of KaOs
Agent of KaOs
join:2001-01-29
Chatsworth, CA

1 edit

GoD of KaOs to JDmailNY

to JDmailNY
said by JDmailNY:

I need some suggestions on Cisco CCNA training on DvD or online. So far it’s been a real problem to find creditable training and recently, I have just found my self correcting mistakes for the manufacturer Of DvD based Cisco training. The problem was with the correct application Of route poisoning and wrong practice test answers.

I also ran into a problem where I paid $2,000.0 for CCNA 8 week training.This too was not that great because I was expecting certified teachers to at Least orient the class around passing the CCNA test .

If anyone has suggestions on CCNA test preperation that would be appreciated also,In addation to Router Simulation software with some Great Labs.

Thanks and I hope you Guys can help

Have A Great Day
JDmailNY

I would suggest 3 things:

1. CBT Nuggets: The one thing I like about the guy that gives course it that he's very interactive and he's very easy to follow in his courses and most importantly he doesn't talk like a teacher where you can get bore and fall asleep. Now I noticed that he only covers about 70% of what's needed to pass the test.

2. I would follow up on the CBT Nuggets with a book and I would highly recommend the CCNA Books that Sybex makes; I personally think the Cisco Press books can get waaay too technical and Sybex break the terminology so that you can easily understand.

3. If you can somehow get your hands on Packet Tracer by Cisco; this router sim is more than enough to cover CCNA test. What I did was use it to configure along with the CBT Nuggets video; which was really helpful.

NOW if you're looking beyond getting your CCNA (like getting CCNP and up) and you don't have any spare routers and switches then I would buy one of those Router Sims.
GoD of KaOs

GoD of KaOs to jza80

to jza80
said by jza80:

As far as simulators, the only one I've used is packet tracer. I've found it to be pretty good, but limited command wise. Theres some commands that I've had to use that don't work.

Packet Tracer is enough to get through all the commands needed to the past the CCNA; at least version 5.1.

I was able to setup the basic EIGRP and OSPF routes that are covered in the CCNA. Now I'll admit when I was going through my CCNP; Packet Tracer didn't cut it. But for the CCNA; Packet Tracer is good enough.

kamikatze
join:2007-11-02

2 edits

kamikatze to GoD of KaOs

to GoD of KaOs
I'm guessing a lot of people don't know about GNS3.
»www.gns3.net/
Give it a shot, you'll be dazzled:)

This isn't a simulator but an emulator. You're running 100%* the real thing.

----------------
* Some limitations apply. Batteries not included haha.

GoD of KaOs
Agent of KaOs
join:2001-01-29
Chatsworth, CA

GoD of KaOs

said by kamikatze:

I'm guessing a lot of people don't know about GNS3.
»www.gns3.net/
Give it a shot, you'll be dazzled:)

This isn't a simulator but an emulator. You're running 100%* the real thing.

----------------
* Some limitations apply. Batteries not included haha.
Yeah I've also ran that software and you're correct is basically can run the IOS on that software. But you have to have a serious machine if you're running more than one IOS emulation.

kamikatze
join:2007-11-02

kamikatze

You need to set idlepc values for each IOS instance so it won't eat your CPU for breakfast. Few months ago i was running 5 instances of a 3725 with advipservices, 5 * 128MB memory, 30% CPU load on an old Pentium D. Not really that hungry.

sgtcasey
It's hot in NM.
Premium Member
join:2009-07-06
Albuquerque, NM

sgtcasey to JDmailNY

Premium Member

to JDmailNY
Another + for the Cisco Networking Academy. I went through it as part of my associate's degree quite a few years ago and I had my CCNA before the last class. Passed on the first try. I've since renewed my CCNA after it expired in 2008.

And GNS3 rocks if you don't have access to the actual hardware.

Dave
JDmailNY
Pearl River, NY

JDmailNY

Thanks