uniqs

BrickHost
Premium Member
join:2004-11-18
Canada

BrickHost

Premium Member

pcAnywhere 12.5 on Mac JRE / JVM Issue

I am trying to install pcAnywhere cross platform on my new 13.3" Macbook pro with a factory install of Leopard.

It was running fine on my 1st gen Intel Macbook pro, but now when I go to install I am told that JVM is not found. I tried installing the pcAnywhere 12.1 version and was told I needed JRE 1.4.2.

After reading and surfing I find that Leopard includes a newer build of java, though it doesn't seem to be entirely backward compatible.

Can anyone help me out? I'd really rather not install bootcamp but I need pcAnywhere for remote management.

Thanks for your time and assistance.

MarcoNel
@charter.com

MarcoNel

Anon

I'm having the same issue, and am also not keen on doing bootcamp.
Found this on the symantec website:
»www.symantec.com/norton/ ··· ln=en_US
but it did not resolve my issue.
Am now waiting for Symantec support to respond.

Has anyone been able to figure out what the issue might be, and how to resolve it?

Anon 7
@rutgers.edu

Anon 7 to BrickHost

Anon

to BrickHost
I recently purchased a Macbook and a Desktop MacPro, both are running the same versions of Mac OS 10.5.7 and JVM. I have no problem installing pcanywhere on my Macbook but can't install the software on my Desktop MacPro, encountering the problem of "JVM can't be found". I tried the suggestion in www.symantec.com/norton/support/···ln=en_US, but it did not solve the problem.

MarcoNel
@charter.com

MarcoNel

Anon

I have been in touch with Symantec's foreign call center over the last couple of days, and none of the technicians have been able to resolve my issue as yet.
The most senior PCanywhere technician is supposed to be calling me back today.
I'll advise if this has been successful, and also try to communicate what he did in order to fix it.

Ctrl Alt Del
Premium Member
join:2002-02-18

Ctrl Alt Del to BrickHost

Premium Member

to BrickHost
Mac OS X 10.5.0 Leopard with no software updates includes:
- Java 1.4.2 Update 13 (32-bit)
- Java 1.5.0 Update 13 (32-bit and 64-bit)

After running Software Update and grabbing all the updates that Apple offers, OS X includes as of today:
- Java 1.4.2 Update 21 (32-bit)
- Java 1.5.0 Update 19 (32-bit and 64-bit)
- Java 1.6.0 Update 13 (64-bit)

Notes:
- Java 1.5.0 is also referred to as J2SE 5.0
- Java 1.6.0 is also referred to as Java SE 6

Java 1.4.2 has been deprecated and is extremely old, but it does exist in Leopard. The Java Preferences in the Applications > Utilities folder lets you choose the default Java version to use. You can try setting Java 1.4.2 as the default Java for pcAnywhere. Attached is a screenshot of this.

BrickHost
Premium Member
join:2004-11-18
Canada

BrickHost

Premium Member

Thank you very much, sadly at work I need to use a PC, but I will try this at home tonight. I will post my results this evening.

Thanks again.

MarcoNel
@charter.com

MarcoNel

Anon

My installation is now successful - thanks to the remote assistance of Symantec.

Essentially on the Macbook Pro, Root user needs to be enabled, the Mac restarted and then logged in as Root user.
The steps in the link posted above should then be followed to make Java 1.4.2 the default version.
Once installation is complete, log off as root user, and in disable the root user again when logged back on as yourself.

Then, apart from having to configure pcAnywhere for the connection desired, all should be good.