Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

DVDdude

join:2003-06-15
Greensboro, NC
reply to Fish

Re: Lightstar no longer advertised?

I have been in the same boat as most of you for months. When TW announced their cap nonsense months ago, I started HEAVILY researching Northstate LightStar.

At the time, my TW roadrunner connection was slow and with the caps, I was looking to switch to LightStar. I was told that fiber was laid in my neighborhood when I moved into my house (off of Deep River Road in High Point). After numerous calls to NSC, I was told that fiber was only "laid to the curb" which means I could only get DSL speeds. Since NSC customer service, sales, and tech support all seem clueless, I thought about scheduling a LightStar installation appointment just to see what the installer would say about my chances of getting 20mbs Lightstar speed. I put it off to see if TW could finally fix my RR connection.

I eventually got TW to fix my roadrunner connection by complaining to Tier 3 support and they sent the head technician out to my house. My RR Turbo connection was restored to 10mbs on XP and 15mbs on Vista (vista has a better networking stack than XP).

Getting back to LightStar :

I called dozens of times and talked to sales, customer service, and tech support. 99% of them had no idea what LightStar is/was - even though it is advertised on their website. I have never experienced a company so clueless about their own service.

NSC REALLY NEEDS TO INFORM THEIR SALES AND CUSTOMER SUPPORT ABOUT THE PLEX SERVICE.

PROVIDE THEM WITH A MAP OR SOMETHING DETAILING WHAT STREETS/NEIGHBORHOODS ACTUALLY HAVE FIBER TO THE HOME!

Matt3
All noise, no signal.
Premium
join:2003-07-20
Jamestown, NC
kudos:12
Wow, DVDdude See Profile, that is nuts. I almost bought a townhome in Deep River Villas too and I know for a fact they used to be listed as a "Lightstar" neighborhood. I'm not surprised North State got that wrong though, as I've found the knowledgeable folks are all in engineering.